Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 667847 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 11:15:46 PM »
really like the game posters, here are some of mine

Holy crap man... Is that hildebrandt quad rolled!?!  :o

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 08:15:57 AM »
Those quads are it.  Wow!  And the B0???  That is gorgeous.  Absolutely gorgeous.

This is my Tom Jung 22x28 from 1977.  It is one of my personal favorites.  The composition really captures the feel I had of the film. I think it is the most overlooked and underestimated Star Wars poster from 1977.  I got it the year of release, unused, virtually MINT. That's how it still is now.  The pic is a bit pale, but that was me..sorry.      
Now that I have it out in the air, I have to frame it

This is Melanie Taylor Kent's tribute from 1992, on card stock.

Hugh Fleming's 1999 Fan Club piece...

John Alvin's 1999 Celebration poster.  An extremely cool image...

These 4 promos caught my eye because of the Esso brand.  Esso here in the Northeast became Exxon years ago.  Nostalgia...

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 02:07:06 PM by brude »

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 09:29:20 AM »
Holy crap man... Is that hildebrandt quad rolled!?!  :o

yeah its rolled

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 09:36:05 AM »
Well, it is a beautiful poster regardless... but a rolled, and what appears to be a NM copy is definitely something to behold!  How long have you had that in your collection?  Heck, I was just happy to have found a FF pre-awards quad!

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 09:46:46 AM »
thanks, i got it around this time last year, it bring back so many childhood memories. I remember going to the Marble Arch cinema in London with my parents and for some stupid reason i was kicking the back of the chair in front of me and my mum told me off.

Juli

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2010, 11:49:33 AM »
You guys have some very nice Star Wars posters. I especially like the 1977 quads.

~ Juli

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010, 03:13:55 PM »
Priced for a quick sale!  Too bad you have to bid before Mrs. Miniver will show you pictures of what you are getting...  :P

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2010, 05:29:44 PM »
There are a lot of RIDICULOUS sellers on Ebay, but I have yet to find a more RIDICULOUS one than MRS. MINIVER.

By RIDICULOUS, I mean MORONIC.

T.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2010, 07:15:24 PM »
Boys, the Star Wars half-sheet and B0 are extraordinary, first-rate, marvelous, outstanding, singular & superior!

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2010, 07:16:22 PM »
I've seen her listings a few times.  Some incredible movie paper, but the prices make me shake my head

kauaitx

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2010, 07:40:01 PM »

MRSMINIVER isn't a "Mrs."   Nor even a she.

The consensus opinion of many people who collect Star Wars material both on and off the forums is that MRSMINIVER is Matt Shapiro who apparently faked his death a while back, only to reappear.  I don't know the details during that period, as it preceded my foray into poster collecting. 

Back when I was young, fresh and green (unlike now where I'm old, wilted and grey), before I discovered the various poster forums, I contacted MRSMINIVER, who never answered my questions except for one vague response.  "She" was very secretive and peculiar.

On a rotating basis, almost like clockwork, MrsMiniver/Matt Shapiro will post this collection up on eBay with an outrageous amount.  Some speculate that it's just to draw attention without any intention to sell and some believe it's meant to catch the eye of some wealthy person who wants a very rare, extensive collection at any price.  I liken the seasonal appearance of MrsMiniver to the carnival coming to town for a bit of amusement.

And I suspect that Matt Shapiro lurks on the poster forums and pops up using interestingly egomaniacal IDs. 

Jeannie

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2010, 08:04:13 PM »
well since Mrs Miniver is a William Wyler movie from 1942 starring Greer Garson I kinda guess he isn't pretending to be Mrs Miniver or Greer Garson, just maybe its his favourite movie.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2010, 08:10:07 PM »
One of my favorite movies too.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

kauaitx

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2010, 08:11:42 PM »
Yup, that's what I think, too, Ari.  But, I do suspect it's meant to mislead, because I remember asking if Mrs. Miniver were a reference to the movie or if it were really "her" name.  MrsMiniver would not answer the question, which made me think it was a man, even before I'd joined NSFGE and read that others were thinking the same thing.

You remember those IDs like Baron-Something and Mr.Wonderful-something?  I'd always wondered if they weren't Matt Shapiro goofing around with us.  A couple of folks who have met him, or at least know of him, have said that it sure fit his M.O. and style.

Jeannie

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2010, 01:02:49 PM »
1982 Empire Strikes Back re-release - better in person - I quite like it:

Here it is on ye ol' Star Wars/sci-fi/fantasy wall:

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2010, 01:18:27 PM »
MRSMINIVER isn't a "Mrs."   Nor even a she.

The consensus opinion of many people who collect Star Wars material both on and off the forums is that MRSMINIVER is Matt Shapiro who apparently faked his death a while back, only to reappear.  I don't know the details during that period, as it preceded my foray into poster collecting. 

Jeannie

With these type of character issues in question, it gives me all the more reason to suspect a person selling fakes as well. If you are willing to fake your death then you are willing to fake anything. And the best fakers sell them in the midst of originals as well.

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2010, 06:38:52 PM »
Strictly speaking, he didn't "fake" his death, per se, he did have his girlfriend refer to him as being in the past tense in some of his e**y listings though, if I remembery it correctly.  I doubt M. Shapiro has any need to fake the posters he owns or sells, whackjob or not.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2010, 06:57:36 PM »
Peter is correct, on both points

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

agentprovocateur

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2010, 10:12:19 AM »
Hi, just joined, thought it'd be good to put my first post in the Star Wars thread as that's where I started collecting... it was a similar story to someone else's earlier in the thread. Christmas trip to London as a kid, saw the posters then saw the film, seminal moment for me. Later, much later, I went for it and bought this beauty.

From a well known film poster shop in Queensway, London.

This is probably one of my all time best finds (yahoo auctions back a few years), style 'd' 40"x60", think it was rolled as there are no folds (hope someone more clued up than me doesn't say it's dodgy!)

Anyways, great to be here and loving some of the posters posted, never seen the star fall one before.

:D

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2010, 10:32:04 AM »
Anyways, great to be here and loving some of the posters posted, never seen the star fall one before.

:D

Very nice stuff!  The Force is strong with you  ;D

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2010, 12:38:26 PM »
About 6 years ago, I had a style D framed.  The frame was on the floor, in a corner of the room.  Then my maid came and mopped the floors.  Of course, her mop went next to the frame and she completely watered it.  Needless to say, the poster was completely ruined (and long trashed).  You should have seen me trying to explain to this little Salvadorian woman that she had just destroyed a mint condition SW Style D. :)  She was looking at me like: "What's wrong with you, it's just printed paper in a frame" (in Spanish, of course.)  Another day, I had a bus stop poster of a French ad I really loved in the guest room.  And as she was turning around with her broom, she completely ripped it.  I was fuming.

Years later, she still works for me, she's the best and I love her, but she has been told to stay away from any form of paper, hanging, on the floor, anywhere there is paper, keep a foot away.

T
My Personal Collection

easyenders

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2010, 03:38:33 PM »
got any photos to post?.....the maid, not theposters :-*

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2010, 06:14:30 PM »
She's coming tomorrow.  I'll take a picture for you.

T
My Personal Collection

kauaitx

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2010, 07:00:06 PM »

Hmmm... let me get this straight... a mint SW Style D that was framed -- and therefore somewhat protected -- and a French bus stop ad poster (which is hard to come by) got totally ripped, but you think your maid is the best and you love her still?

Egads, your house must be perfectly spotless and microbe-free.  Oh wait, I remember how clean your house was... Never mind.  She is the best.

Jeannie