Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 667598 times)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #2475 on: December 10, 2021, 07:04:45 AM »
^Nice one, T. The full size Dolby posters are hard to find.

Prop Store had some nice Star Wars posters in their auction this week. The original Josh Kirby art for Empire Strikes Back went for £42.5k (+BP):

This Indian one sheet did well too, £6k (+BP):

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #2476 on: December 10, 2021, 12:10:56 PM »
Someone has deep pockets! It was interesting to watch the auction. The auctioneers really do their best to push the prices up, or keep the bidding going.

Having said that, looking at some of the results I’m not sure Propstore is the best place to sell if you’re a consignor.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2477 on: December 10, 2021, 12:27:08 PM »
Personally, and I do say personally, I will never understand why people spend money, let alone so much money, on discarded artwork.  I mean, obviously, this design was judged not good enough to make the campaign.  Hundreds of designs were made, only a few made the cut.  They were just NOT GOOD ENOUGH.  Now if you can own the real art the ACTUAL posters were based on, now that's something.  The director and Fox publicity department endorsed it.  We trashed so much of it when I was at DreamWorks, and for big movies like Gladiator and Almost Famous.  No one cares about it, and then suddenly it sells for 42,000 pounds.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #2478 on: December 10, 2021, 01:15:15 PM »
You obviously have an inside perspective on these these things and so the idea of unused artwork is probably far less attractive than to someone on the outside.

For me I love unused artwork because it has that 'what if?' quality and I like the connection to the design process at the time.

I'm not convinced by the argument that the best artwork always gets picked. I'm sure there are some amazing pieces that never got used for one reason or another that doesn't include the quality of the artwork.

From a collecting point of view, my scope is so limited that if I can find anything extra to collect then it's a bonus!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #2479 on: December 14, 2021, 06:09:58 PM »
Personally, and I do say personally, I will never understand why people spend money, let alone so much money, on discarded artwork.  I mean, obviously, this design was judged not good enough to make the campaign.  Hundreds of designs were made, only a few made the cut.  They were just NOT GOOD ENOUGH.  Now if you can own the real art the ACTUAL posters were based on, now that's something.  The director and Fox publicity department endorsed it.  We trashed so much of it when I was at DreamWorks, and for big movies like Gladiator and Almost Famous.  No one cares about it, and then suddenly it sells for 42,000 pounds.

T

I understand the sentiment but, with so many crappy poster designs currently being foisted on the potentially cinema-going public, I am not sure that one can say, the final design is the best design.

And we do not have to look only to our immediate past to exemplify that statement.

(I am sorry, it is all I know)  Licence to Kill' poster design process had Bob Peak's cracking art in red.  It was considered, 'something', it was jettisoned and the US got that thing with flames.

All this to say, if one is interested in art, then it is in the eye of the beholder.  If one is interested in official and/or final release then yes, I get you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LargeImages/comments/cvs3eg/5049x6313_licence_to_kill_1989_unused_art_by_bob/

https://artofthemovies.co.uk/products/james-bond-licence-to-kill-1989

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #2480 on: December 19, 2021, 02:29:33 PM »
Yeah, I think an unused poster art design by Bob Peak, Drew Struzan, Glenn Cravath, Jack Davis, or Frank Frazetta (just to name a few) would still be highly collectible.  Okie

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #2481 on: December 29, 2021, 11:28:32 PM »
These count, right??

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #2482 on: December 30, 2021, 07:48:41 AM »
Are they printed?

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #2483 on: December 30, 2021, 01:27:23 PM »
Are they printed?

Yeah, on paper even!  My son's bedroom wall:

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2484 on: December 30, 2021, 02:07:58 PM »
I don't see why they wouldn't.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2485 on: February 27, 2022, 11:35:49 PM »
I don't understand.  The Revenge poster keeps going up and up even though there seems to be multiple for sale every week.  Am I missing something?  This is the dated style and it is FOLDED!!!  I don't even think this design by Struzan is all that great, but that's my personal view of course.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #2486 on: February 28, 2022, 10:38:00 AM »
I don't understand.  The Revenge poster keeps going up and up even though there seems to be multiple for sale every week.  Am I missing something?  This is the dated style and it is FOLDED!!!  I don't even think this design by Struzan is all that great, but that's my personal view of course.

T

I agree 100%.  I feel the exact same way about the Jaws poster, which is incredibly common and easy to find, yet there is a seemingly never-ending demand for it.  At least the Revenge of the Jedi has the distinction of being a curiosity due to the title change during pre-production...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2487 on: February 28, 2022, 12:47:40 PM »
I personally like the Jaws so much more than the Jedi.  But I agree, they are all over the place.  At the very least, you should get it rolled.

I’d like to know how many Jedis are out there.  Must be 1,000s.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2488 on: March 01, 2022, 09:57:30 AM »
If memory serves, 5,000 were printed. Based on how often it comes up for sale I would estimate that at least 1/3 are still around, likely closer to half. Many collectors like you Brie own multiple copies.

I personally like the Jaws so much more than the Jedi.  But I agree, they are all over the place.  At the very least, you should get it rolled.

I’d like to know how many Jedis are out there.  Must be 1,000s.

T
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2489 on: March 01, 2022, 07:05:07 PM »
Well, if 2,500 are still around, and like you said people like you and me own multiples, that still leads a huge number out there.  Which does not answer my question as to why they are so expensive.  That poster should not be more than a few hundred dollars.

Do you know how many no dates are out there?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #2490 on: March 02, 2022, 04:06:13 AM »
Well, if 2,500 are still around, and like you said people like you and me own multiples, that still leads a huge number out there.  Which does not answer my question as to why they are so expensive.  That poster should not be more than a few hundred dollars.

Well, if there are 3500 people fighting for the 2500 posters, then there's your answer.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #2491 on: March 02, 2022, 08:08:58 AM »
Well, if there are 3500 people fighting for the 2500 posters, then there's your answer.

Exactly. And conversely, there are tons of posters where 3 copies exist, and only one or two want them at the "official price", so they sit on eBay unsold for years and years.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2492 on: March 02, 2022, 11:49:32 AM »

Do you know how many no dates are out there?

T

Like they said above, supply and demand. It is still one of if not the most sought after poster for the series.

As to the no dates, I honestly have no idea. Bruce has sold 30 no dates to 141 dated or a 1:4.7 ratio taking a quick look, don't know how may of those were sold by them more than once.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2493 on: March 02, 2022, 01:14:02 PM »
Yeah, that’s the thing.  It’s impossible to know how many posters get sold and resold and resold again.  So many people trying to make a quick buck.  And if the price keeps going up, like for that folded copy, I guess they have a point.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2494 on: March 11, 2022, 07:53:07 AM »
This was discussed in the Star Wars Poster Collectors group on Facebook, but I thought I'd stick it in here too as it's sometimes hard to find historic information in Facebook groups. 

A few years ago, I picked up a rolled Style D from an auction in Japan. It's 27 x 41" and has the "D" in quotes like the normal Studio Style D, however when I compared it to my (bashed up) normal Studio Style D, I noticed a few differences (photos below...any colouring differences more likely bad photos and my normal Style D being bashed up and a bit faded from framing). I had a chat with our resident expert (Undead) and I think we both thought it was perhaps a Japanese fan club or re-release giveaway poster as they have surfaced a few times in Japan and are often rolled, but they don't seem to be found in the US (I can't see Bruce has sold one before, for example). However, a member in the Facebook group recently posted the same poster and asked for authentication help and Stephen Sansweet chipped in to confirm he has one with the same credit block and it came directly from Fox in 1978.

Anyway, not the most interesting post this forum has ever seen, but I thought I'd share here for information/documentation as I'm a bit of a Star Wars nerd and find these little details interesting and perhaps it'll help someone down the line.

Differences in font and sizing (normal Studio Style D on the bottom):

Differences in stars, noticeable in placement of star next to/under the third dot in the ellipsis (normal Studio Style D on the bottom):

Differences in 20th Century Fox logo (normal Studio Style D on the bottom):

Differences in Cast font in credit block (normal Studio Style D on the bottom):

Similarity in Style "D" formatting, with minor font difference (normal Studio Style D on the bottom):
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 07:55:49 AM by Tob »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2495 on: March 11, 2022, 12:50:04 PM »
Interesting nuances.  Thanks for posting.  I am always amazed at how closely some people look at posters.  I would have never noticed.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2496 on: March 11, 2022, 04:03:23 PM »
Interesting nuances.  Thanks for posting.  I am always amazed at how closely some people look at posters.  I would have never noticed.

T

cool1 I don’t normally look that closely, I just remember thinking “the condition of this is too good to be true”, so thought I’d compare them to try and authenticate…then I noticed the difference in purple cast credit font, so had a look for more differences.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2497 on: March 11, 2022, 11:24:58 PM »
Oops, sorry, I didn’t understand you were the one.  No offense.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2498 on: March 12, 2022, 03:02:17 AM »
Oops, sorry, I didn’t understand you were the one.  No offense.

T

Haha! No offence taken!  :)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2499 on: May 09, 2022, 11:33:10 AM »
Empire Strikes Back Purple Variant... Not an accident

I had done a pretty in depth comparison of the ESB studio blue and purple variant some time ago and added the info to an FB thread. I thought some here that may not have seen it may be interested as well. Text is quoted from that thread.

"Below are three images that I put together of the ESB Studio B Purple using my proof and since I could not find my blue, an image of the blue from Ha.com. I have not looked for the transparencies, sorry not enough time.

The first image is simply the two side by side.

Second image is an example of the differences in star/snow? quantity and locations.

Third image is a transparency overlay to illustrate the difference in alignment of the lower credits and printing text.

Using the above in addition to a lot of other comparisons that I had done earlier on these two it is clear to me that the purple is not an accident but in fact intentionally created from a completely separate set of plates using a different color pallet.

Why the two version I cannot say nor have I ever researched that part."

Just bleach the bitch!