Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 676349 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #2375 on: May 22, 2019, 10:51:24 AM »
Ain't you glad that you got what you got when you got it?  Man, it would be a real challenge if I had to start over today.  I would probably spend x10 what I spent when I started collecting this stuff.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2376 on: May 22, 2019, 03:13:08 PM »
Ain't you glad that you got what you got when you got it?  Man, it would be a real challenge if I had to start over today.  I would probably spend x10 what I spent when I started collecting this stuff.

T

Agree completely. I honestly never believed some prices would ever get anywhere near where they are now. $1k+ for dated revenge posters? Never
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2377 on: May 22, 2019, 09:08:52 PM »
If you know of a reliable time machine you could borrow, the time to buy Star Wars stuff was late 80's - early 90's when it was pretty benign. Nobody gave a hang about Style A first printing or 4th printing 1-sheets or first or second printing lobby cards. Of course some posters were always high priced like style C and advance Star Wars 1-sheets or the Revenge advance, but nowhere near what they are going for today. It's crazy!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #2378 on: May 23, 2019, 01:54:13 AM »
Thing is, even when the prices were that low, to me as a penniless kid, they were still unreachable.

Of course this is related to Bond, but further to some prices Bob sent to me in email ref Bond prices in the 80's, I still could not have afforded.  Seems now I am all grown up, the prices have shifted likewise.

Can't win.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2379 on: May 23, 2019, 02:43:40 AM »
Hahaha... Very true.  Also, as you get older, you tend to have more money and buy more expensive stuff you still can't afford.  I've owned 4 houses here in Southern Cal, and each time keep moving to better neighborhoods where I end up being the poor kid on the block.  Only trouble is, I'm not a kid anymore.  Like you said, can't win.

T
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 02:44:50 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online porkinsred6

• Beginner
« Reply #2380 on: May 24, 2019, 07:46:49 PM »
unfortunately this is true of any hobby that still has a large collecting base.  I'm glad I got in when I did.  Right as prices started to take off. My first posters were priced pretty well and are probably now easily 2-3x what I paid only a few years ago (pre Disney).

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2381 on: May 24, 2019, 10:06:00 PM »
unfortunately this is true of any hobby that still has a large collecting base.  I'm glad I got in when I did.  Right as prices started to take off. My first posters were priced pretty well and are probably now easily 2-3x what I paid only a few years ago (pre Disney).

All so true... jumping in at the right time (or not). Still is fun, no matter when you get into this or any hobby. Buy what you like and can afford. Simple and it keeps it fun.

Its when some say that this poster or that MUST be in a collection to make it worthy, is when the BS starts to fly. That kind of mindset and logic are just NOT true. No one can tell anyone else what poster one MUST have in his/her collection. That's pure crap advice.

-Jeff

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #2382 on: May 26, 2019, 12:18:42 PM »
Did you guys see this one?  Similar to the subway version (mentioned here: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,224.msg168647.html#msg168647 ) that sold a few years ago:

sw

sw2
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 12:25:55 PM by Neo »

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2383 on: May 26, 2019, 02:57:26 PM »
There are actually a whole bunch of sizes that were printed for that advertising campaign. The Lucas 3PO seems to be the most common image to be resold and they do not come up often in any size or style.
Just bleach the bitch!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2384 on: June 09, 2019, 08:32:53 PM »
Wow, I never check auctions until the day before they happen, but I couldn’t resist to glance at Bruce’s upcoming Star Wars sale and it is is out of this world.  So many must-haves for the true SW collector.  So glad I got most of them, because I would be exploding the bank.  I might still go for a few, but I don’t hold my collectors breath with the craze going on these days.  I’ll still try.

T
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 08:35:20 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2385 on: June 09, 2019, 08:38:54 PM »
There are actually a whole bunch of sizes that were printed for that advertising campaign. The Lucas 3PO seems to be the most common image to be resold and they do not come up often in any size or style.

Yeah, I bought the subway one a few years ago and I’ve been waiting for the others to show up ever since.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline wormie

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2386 on: June 18, 2019, 05:36:54 PM »
Yeah, I bought the subway one a few years ago and I’ve been waiting for the others to show up ever since.

T
This one seems to be all torn up, but rarely surfaced B0 and not terribly priced.
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w318562489

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chengbo

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2387 on: June 18, 2019, 07:43:39 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.  Condition is essential for me, and I try to stick to near mint/mint for all my modern posters.  This one does not pass the test, unfortunately. 

T
My Personal Collection

Online porkinsred6

• Beginner
« Reply #2388 on: June 18, 2019, 08:06:39 PM »
Did anyone get anything from Bruce's auction last Sunday?  I thought I recognized some usernames.

I got the Star Wars rolled Style B among other things.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2389 on: June 18, 2019, 08:59:27 PM »
I was the underbidder on the Concert poster :(  I regret not going higher, because I really wanted it, but I would have totally overpaid.  I increased the total by $2k, and that was already way too much for that poster.

Oh well...

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2390 on: June 19, 2019, 10:11:16 AM »
0 for 52 myself. Most of what I was after I bid more than the average value for them and did not even come close. Some went into unheard of and unrealistic price ranges. One of the ones I bid on I bid $600 or $700, around 30% more than any price ever realized in any condition, and lost by thousands.  faint2.gif crying moron1 :o
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #2391 on: June 20, 2019, 01:23:04 AM »
Grief!  Fair play to Bruce, and his consignors...

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2392 on: July 05, 2019, 05:32:23 PM »
It's official, for the first time ever, HA is auctioning a British Jedi 12 sheet. Not even a day in so far and already at 41 watchers. Before you ask, yes it is.
Return of the Jedi 12 Sheet Poster

Just bleach the bitch!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #2393 on: July 05, 2019, 05:43:21 PM »
It's official, for the first time ever, HA is auctioning a British Jedi 12 sheet. Not even a day in so far and already at 41 watchers. Before you ask, yes it is.
Return of the Jedi 12 Sheet Poster

Ah, Josh Kirby did the art!  No wonder it's so beautiful.  Okie

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2394 on: July 31, 2019, 05:55:08 AM »
Having a peek at T’s site shows he’s the proud new owner of that Return of the Jedi 12 sheet (as well as a very nice Barbarella Italian poster). Congrats! 2 special posters!

Hope Mike was happy with the sale price too.

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2395 on: July 31, 2019, 08:49:00 AM »
Having a peek at T’s site shows he’s the proud new owner of that Return of the Jedi 12 sheet (as well as a very nice Barbarella Italian poster). Congrats! 2 special posters!

Hope Mike was happy with the sale price too.

Did not know it was T that bought it. Congrats T, it is spectacular IMO looking in person.

Considering I had put it up for sale at $7,500 with no takers not all that long ago, quite happy indeed. Would have been happier if it were double that of course.  ;D

Proceeds will go to a good cause, the new house fund... And of course a poster or two.
Just bleach the bitch!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2396 on: July 31, 2019, 11:03:27 AM »
I always tell people (like I did Mike) that they should try to do a direct sale with collectors before sending their gear to auction houses.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's always worth the try, imo.  I would have gladly paid $10k direct for this poster.  But no one listens, so the seller gets less and the collector pays more.  In the end, it's the auction house that wins.  C'est la vie!!!

T
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 11:05:18 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2397 on: July 31, 2019, 01:21:14 PM »
I always tell people (like I did Mike) that they should try to do a direct sale with collectors before sending their gear to auction houses.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's always worth the try, imo.  I would have gladly paid $10k direct for this poster.  But no one listens, so the seller gets less and the collector pays more.  In the end, it's the auction house that wins.  C'est la vie!!!

T

I did that just last year at $7500 to more than one person including you if memory serves, may still have the emails. It was expressed I was asking too much and was wished best of luck with the sale. Even threw it on E-bay with a BIN or BO. After that I did not mention it again until it was shipped to HA.
Just bleach the bitch!

Online Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #2398 on: July 31, 2019, 10:00:02 PM »
Proceeds will go to a good cause, the new house fund... And of course a poster or two.
Well if the money is going towards a house purchase it means paying less interest to the bank in the long run so really you're "making money" selling it now ...even if maybe it could have sold for a bit more down the road.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2399 on: July 31, 2019, 10:41:15 PM »
I don’t remember ever getting an email from you.  The only time I ever heard of this poster was a few weeks ago when you told me it was at HA and I told you you should have sold it to me direct.  You never mentioned offering it to me before.  Let me know privately if you can find the emails, I’m interested.

Either way, it doesn’t really matter.  What’s done is done.  I’m already chasing the next one :)

PS: ill let you know what I think of the poster in 6 months, when I get it from HA.

T
My Personal Collection