Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 675998 times)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #1950 on: April 06, 2016, 03:56:53 AM »
amazing
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1951 on: April 06, 2016, 11:41:07 AM »

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1952 on: April 22, 2016, 04:48:44 PM »
The vintage poster collecting side is getting a little harder. Looks like one of our favorite bootleggers is starting to list a series of card stock posters including the usual inserts, but now half sheets, 30x40's and 40x60's. I have not bought any of these to compare as of yet but even the small fuzzy images are giving me huge pause. Not promising they are bootlegs but urging everyone to be cautious of new minty whites in new sizes out there this seller has sold real posters as well as bootlegs in the past as well so could go either way.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:52:57 PM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1953 on: April 22, 2016, 04:58:35 PM »
The vintage poster collecting side is getting a little harder. Looks like one of our favorite bootleggers is starting to list a series of card stock posters including the usual inserts, but now half sheets, 30x40's and 40x60's. I have not bought any of these to compare as of yet but even the small fuzzy images are giving me huge pause. Not promising they are bootlegs but urging everyone to be cautious of new minty whites in new sizes out there this seller has sold real posters as well as bootlegs in the past as well so could go either way.

What seller are you referring to here, Mike?

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1954 on: April 22, 2016, 05:19:15 PM »
Let's just say it is an E-Bay seller and leave it at that. There are two that are notorious and both are not worth the aggravation they like to cause being outed.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1955 on: May 13, 2016, 11:27:01 AM »
Yet another bootleg has hit the market. I expect that this will become a larger problem more and more as large format printers come down in price and poster prices go up making it more lucrative to try and do.

The Star Wars Second Advance had joined the bootleg list. The new one is full size printed on heavier coated paper than the original and is printed off of a large format printer, not offset. As a result there is no silver ink for the edges and lettering, it is the typical dots to make it look grey. The printing is slightly fuzzy possible from a HA poster. I will be of course photographing it post some photos here for people to use for reference.
Just bleach the bitch!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1956 on: May 13, 2016, 02:01:00 PM »
The question is, can they ever make it perfect, 77 paper, ink, aging?  I mean, all reprints I have seen on pre 90s posters, you can tell.  There is always a slight difference.  We're only talking about a handful of titles worth reprinting for the masses.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1957 on: May 14, 2016, 02:11:39 AM »
I've just been on a facetube site where a guy is offering to print up at any size, any poster of your choice!!

he has a whole list of 70's /80's stuff already done. I find this very disconcerting, as most are Quads.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #1958 on: May 16, 2016, 03:10:41 AM »
is he the one responsible for the nightmare on elm street boot legs and the Star Wars Chantrell bootlegs?
Like you i find this annoying and will only damage the hobby. Any decent person would put a mark on the posters to allow easy differentiation!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1959 on: May 16, 2016, 11:14:19 AM »
Not sure, but he charges £26 delivered, for a Quad of your choice....

Not quite the ticket.   I did leave a comment, but he deleted it.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1960 on: May 16, 2016, 12:21:35 PM »
The question is, can they ever make it perfect, 77 paper, ink, aging?  I mean, all reprints I have seen on pre 90s posters, you can tell.  There is always a slight difference.  We're only talking about a handful of titles worth reprinting for the masses.

T
In the case of the person printing the fakes I have been finding, no, they are not even trying to make them look that good in person but when it comes to digital photos, they look great.

Can it be done? As they say; where there is a will there is a way. More precisely where there is knowledge and determination.

We have a similar problem in the collector car market with documentation, the answer in short is they can get incredibly close and possibly even yes indistinguishable from the originals. It takes an extremely well trained eye and deep knowledge of the subject, manufacturing process and materials to both duplicate and identify. In the case of posters luckily I do not believe these two factors have been merged in one team or person with the intent to create fakes but it has come extremely close as the Haggard issue proves. Will it ever happen, only time will tell.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:27:27 PM by Undead »
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #1961 on: July 16, 2016, 10:02:58 PM »

do you think there would be an interest in a partial 6 sheet ESB?
You see VADERS MASK, and the tagline, bottom section missing (title/credits).

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1962 on: July 17, 2016, 05:10:32 AM »
I guess this is as good a place as any to post this...

I like the concept, but isn't that Death Star awfully big?

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1963 on: July 17, 2016, 04:26:19 PM »
Well... Depending on distance, atmosphere composition...

Yes it is huge!

This isn't an official poster is it? I have not been following them lately.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1964 on: July 17, 2016, 04:46:35 PM »
Did a quick search looks like it is a poster given out to the attendees of the Rogue One panel at Star Wars Celebration Europe 2016.

I hate to say it or go there but they are Disney movies... Is Jack Sparrow anywhere on that beach?
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1965 on: July 17, 2016, 06:27:27 PM »

I hate to say it or go there but they are Disney movies... Is Jack Sparrow anywhere on that beach?

That's Captain Jack Sparrow...

piratemel

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1966 on: July 17, 2016, 07:02:18 PM »
Did a quick search looks like it is a poster given out to the attendees of the Rogue One panel at Star Wars Celebration Europe 2016.

He might be hidden there somewhere. Gots to look closely.
 qip

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1967 on: July 22, 2016, 05:31:18 PM »
So the talented Jock has just released a new Star Wars print through Mondo.
I kinda like it.
Is it the first poster to feature the Death Star trash compactor?

There's also an additional Star Wars poster by Mike Mitchell

http://mondotees.com/collections/posters/products/rey-star-wars

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1968 on: August 06, 2016, 09:50:36 AM »
This Japanese EMSB came up for auction, but I can't find any other copies anywhere; has anyone seen this one before or know anything about it?  The seller says that it's a B全 (72.8 x 102.8cm).

« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 09:51:43 AM by Hicks77 »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1969 on: August 06, 2016, 11:05:47 AM »
Hey Hicks,
I own a B2 (20x28) and have only seen the theatrical at that size.
Checking in EMP's history, they have only sold B2s also:
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/EMPIRE%2520STRIKES%2520BACK/country/Japanese/type/Japanese%2520B2/archive.html

While over here at Starwarsmovieposter.com, they highlight a B1-size version used to promote the 1984 Japanese video release?
https://www.starwarsmovieposter.com/posters/asia/japan/japanese-empire-strikes-back-style-b-foreign-cbs-fox-one-sheet-b1-size

I'm sure Undead Mike will have more info.
 cheers

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1970 on: August 06, 2016, 11:19:45 AM »
Hey Brude!  Thanks so much for looking, too be honest I had checked the Starwars site but TOTALLY missed that video poster.  I think I need to get glasses; have to take more care when doing my research!  I'm going to write the seller and ask him to post a clearer picture of the bottom line of the credits where its says "1984 CBS Fox..."  His picture conveniently cuts off the bottom...
Cheers and thanks,
Devin

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1971 on: August 06, 2016, 11:26:10 AM »
My pleasure, Devin.
Let us know how you make out.
 cheers

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1972 on: August 06, 2016, 12:00:05 PM »
This Japanese EMSB came up for auction, but I can't find any other copies anywhere; has anyone seen this one before or know anything about it?  The seller says that it's a B全 (72.8 x 102.8cm).

Hey Devin,

The poster you are showing looks to be entirely in English. And has a PG ratings box. How did the seller explain it to be Japanese? By the size alone? And once you get a larger or more complete photo, it would be cool to see the Eirin mark, too. (unless this is a B2 size of the video poster that Ted linked to?) Gotta love a mystery.  sherlockholmes.gif

Good luck and fingers crossed.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 12:02:03 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1973 on: August 06, 2016, 12:08:16 PM »
I found it on a Japanese auction site and even though there's no Japanese, the art is the same as the EMSB B2 poster.  That's what kind of led my brain to think it's Japanese.  There is an English version with this art but the film title appears in the lower right corner in black.  I've left a message, hopefully he gets back to me :)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1974 on: August 06, 2016, 12:47:02 PM »
It's a Japanese B1 from the first laser disc release in the mid-eighties.