Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 675386 times)

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #1925 on: February 21, 2016, 12:20:42 PM »
Incredible nice score!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1926 on: March 04, 2016, 04:08:49 PM »
OK, I am looking for a little help here on valuation on something that is outside of my league a bit and thought there may be some people here that are into this side of the collecting hobby.

I am as many know paring down the collection a bit and I am sending a bunch of stuff to Bruce. While getting ready to send the last set of tubes to Bruce and a box or two of other collectibles I found in the pile a trailer. Not just any trailer but the original full length theatrical advance 35mm trailer for Star Wars in its original box dated April 1977. This for those that are not familiar with it is the one with the white light sabers and says coming summer at the end and is pre NSS copyrighted 1976. It is not the more common later NSS one or an RR. It is complete, uncut and unspliced 35mm in color trailer with sound, no rating.

Anyone have any thoughts on value before I decide if I want to send it to Bruce? I am honestly on the fence about selling even though I don't collect trailers, it's just that cool.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 04:38:52 PM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #1927 on: March 04, 2016, 07:37:04 PM »
Wow Mike.  Any pics?  Ever think of going BIN on ebay to test the waters?  I say this because you missed EMP's deadline for the upcoming SW Special auction which begins March 27. 
Perhaps Bruce would make the exception as this isn't a poster.  Personally, I would hang on to it.  In fact, i'm willing to do so this one time at NO COST AT ALL TO YOU if interested!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1928 on: March 05, 2016, 02:34:13 AM »
It's something I would never sell either, that's one scarce piece.

If your intent on selling, I would try the Bay as Vick says, with a silly price but open to offers, just to see where you lie with it. I wouldn't worry about missing Bruces auction as things like that will never drop in value. A private deal with some/one of the high profile Star wars collectors would be the way to go to get you the best price, you just need to let them know it's out there for sale..

Good luck with it Mike, I'd buy it myself, but I'm sure your after much more than I could pay you... 
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #1929 on: March 05, 2016, 12:39:49 PM »
Very cool. No advice other than pick out a nice island for retirement if you do sell it!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1930 on: March 05, 2016, 01:02:35 PM »
I'd hold onto the trailer, Mike, if it were me.

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1931 on: March 05, 2016, 05:06:16 PM »
Thanks for the advice, still torn. The intent it to free cash to go after a poster in HA that is outside of my price range. At the same time as a die hard Star Wars geek it is an awesome piece. Looking into things a bit more it may be rarer than I thought as Star Wars actually only opened in 43 theaters in May of '77 so how many could have been made and survived?

I am trying to get some decent cell scans from it on a slide scanner I have and post them. Unfortunately even though the color looks great when holding it to light the scanner turns everything magenta. While doing those I noticed it is actually widescreen and in stereo as well.

I will think on it a day or so and maybe try throwing it up on E-Bay with something like a $5k BIN and see what offers come in and go from there.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1932 on: March 05, 2016, 05:11:18 PM »
$5K?

Yowza!!

:o

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1933 on: March 05, 2016, 07:49:35 PM »
$5K?

Yowza!!

:o

It's a number, we'll see what I actually put when I list it.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1934 on: March 06, 2016, 02:38:15 AM »
I'd go a bit more than $5k, it may sell at that...

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1935 on: March 06, 2016, 07:18:22 AM »
I'd go a bit more than $5k, it may sell at that...

I think I would be good with that. I can't list for more anyway as I rarely sell anything so still have a 5k seller limit.

An interesting realization, I have been burning the candle at both ends and confused this trailer with one from another movie I bought years ago, I actually got this one more recently but never looked at it as it was part of a lot purchase where I was after something else in the sale and tossed it in the misc. items box. Can't complain about that.

It's up!

Star Wars Advance 35mm Theatrical Trailer
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 07:31:38 AM by Undead »
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1936 on: March 06, 2016, 07:26:52 AM »
Yes, I'm the same, limited to 5k for some reason..

Looks great, wish I could afford it, it's right up my street.

Hope you do well with it Mike.

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1937 on: March 06, 2016, 10:24:59 AM »
Nice use of the starfall for the background.  faint2.gif

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1938 on: March 06, 2016, 11:01:29 AM »
Nice use of the starfall for the background.  faint2.gif

;D
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1939 on: March 06, 2016, 10:39:51 PM »
It's a number, we'll see what I actually put when I list it.

One penny does change the number.. yes, indeed.

And I love the $4999.99 price tag.

It makes it sound like so much less.   ;D

faint2.gif

Good luck on the sale, Mike.

-Jeff

Offline Huey Dewey

• Beginner
« Reply #1940 on: March 08, 2016, 07:58:11 AM »
It's a fantastic item but one that doesn't have great display value 'as is' - so I think that reduces what it will sell for.

I think this is it:

A collector could maybe have some prints taken from it (including that basic 'STAR WARS' title font and the 'COMING THIS SUMMER...') and then put it all together to turn it into a great display piece. One big frame with 6 prints and the film roll.

OK, I am looking for a little help here on valuation on something that is outside of my league a bit and thought there may be some people here that are into this side of the collecting hobby.

I am as many know paring down the collection a bit and I am sending a bunch of stuff to Bruce. While getting ready to send the last set of tubes to Bruce and a box or two of other collectibles I found in the pile a trailer. Not just any trailer but the original full length theatrical advance 35mm trailer for Star Wars in its original box dated April 1977. This for those that are not familiar with it is the one with the white light sabers and says coming summer at the end and is pre NSS copyrighted 1976. It is not the more common later NSS one or an RR. It is complete, uncut and unspliced 35mm in color trailer with sound, no rating.

Anyone have any thoughts on value before I decide if I want to send it to Bruce? I am honestly on the fence about selling even though I don't collect trailers, it's just that cool.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1941 on: March 18, 2016, 07:11:55 PM »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Huey Dewey

• Beginner
« Reply #1942 on: March 18, 2016, 09:58:22 PM »

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1943 on: March 24, 2016, 12:22:12 PM »
As a new Star Wars themed auction is about to start over at EMP, a lot of posters are form me so bid really really high please, I wanted to share a quick word of caution.

There is a new bootleg first printing Star Wars Style A PG one sheet making the rounds. I have found three to date on E-Bay in the last several months along with an undated revenge of the Jedi one sheet. The new ones are being run off of a large format printer and look really really good on the style A until you get to about three inches away from them and you can start to see that they are a little fuzzy. The paper is also pretty close but just a bit too heavy when compared to the originals and the gloss is slightly off as well. As with many the easiest way to tell if you are looking to buy and don't want to take the risk is ask for a clear shot of the GUA logo and NSS text. If it is not clear and crisp up close it is a bootleg. I will post images as soon as I get extra time for reference. The Revenge one sheet is just off from start to finish with wrong colors, cropping, etc. so if you question it just compare to one from EMP or HA and you should be able to tell easily or just ask the sellers pointed questions. If they don't answer you know why.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1944 on: March 24, 2016, 12:35:18 PM »
As a new Star Wars themed auction is about to start over at EMP, a lot of posters are form me so bid really really high please, I wanted to share a quick word of caution.

There is a new bootleg first printing Star Wars Style A PG one sheet making the rounds. I have found three to date on E-Bay in the last several months along with an undated revenge of the Jedi one sheet. The new ones are being run off of a large format printer and look really really good on the style A until you get to about three inches away from them and you can start to see that they are a little fuzzy. The paper is also pretty close but just a bit too heavy when compared to the originals and the gloss is slightly off as well. As with many the easiest way to tell if you are looking to buy and don't want to take the risk is ask for a clear shot of the GUA logo and NSS text. If it is not clear and crisp up close it is a bootleg. I will post images as soon as I get extra time for reference. The Revenge one sheet is just off from start to finish with wrong colors, cropping, etc. so if you question it just compare to one from EMP or HA and you should be able to tell easily or just ask the sellers pointed questions. If they don't answer you know why.

Great info, Mike.  cheers

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1945 on: April 05, 2016, 12:26:48 PM »
And the Saga Continues...

Thanks to a bit of luck I managed to track down two pieces of a second British Jedi Billboard, the same person that originally had the first poster before sending it off to someone else to sell also had the two extra pieces which he had sent off to yet another party to sell. This adventure over the last several weeks has resulted in two very important things. The first but not foremost, the end piece to this one was present and not trimmed allowing me to make one complete billboard with nothing missing. This is officially the largest rolled poster I have ever owned. The second and I think more important is I made a great new friend across the pond in a gentlemen that though he does not collect or really have anything to do with posters has proven to be a wonderful person and really bloody interesting at the same time.

This poster has made it into my top five favorite Star Wars posters in my collection and possibly all time. In person it is something to behold.  qip

Anyway without further ado, the one, the only, well one of a couple maybe, the complete 1983 British Billboard Return of the Jedi poster.

The trimmed version for reference which is missing eight inches from the right side of the right most panel.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:19:03 PM by Undead »
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1946 on: April 05, 2016, 12:32:09 PM »
Way to go, Mike! And congrats!!

Glad the other pieces arrived safe and sound, and all worked out with them arriving in the condition described. It looks fantastic.

clap clap clap clap
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 12:32:34 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1947 on: April 05, 2016, 01:45:35 PM »
Wow it all worked out and fast!  Congrats its great to see the full artwork. Definitely cool.  now do they make plexi large enough for that?  :o
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:47:03 PM by jedgerley »

Mirosae

« Reply #1948 on: April 05, 2016, 03:44:11 PM »
Blimey...Mike, what a find. You and your  treasure hunt!!!

I  am very happy for you. It couldn't have gone to a better  home.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1949 on: April 06, 2016, 03:23:09 AM »
Bloody hell!

That is super impressive.

Nice story too.