Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 675908 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #1475 on: April 23, 2015, 04:01:24 PM »
What's this one all about?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-77-ROADSHOW-MOVIE-POSTER-LOBBY-CARD-SET-23-DIFFERENT-1st-EVER-ISSUED-/391121806828?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b10ad25ec

I am not a Star Wars fan, indeed I am not even interested in the films, but from a position of poster interest, are these cards as interesting as they are made out to be?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1476 on: April 23, 2015, 04:01:46 PM »
Would love to, too long a drive for me though plus the car is not waterproof.

Where there's a will, there's a way.  ;D

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1477 on: April 23, 2015, 04:02:57 PM »
What's this one all about?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-77-ROADSHOW-MOVIE-POSTER-LOBBY-CARD-SET-23-DIFFERENT-1st-EVER-ISSUED-/391121806828?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b10ad25ec

I am not a Star Wars fan, indeed I am not even interested in the films, but from a position of poster interest, are these cards as interesting as they are made out to be?

And from mrs.miniver, no less.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1478 on: April 23, 2015, 04:06:53 PM »
Mrs Miniver?

Must admit to not being concurrent with this one.  What is she famous for?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1479 on: April 23, 2015, 04:10:26 PM »
Mrs Miniver?

Must admit to not being concurrent with this one.  What is she famous for?

First, mrs.miniver is a he (his name is Matt Shapiro)  ;)..  and if you look at the items he has ever listed for sale, you can see the caliber of material he has obtained and offers for sale. Some is truly spectacular (as are some of his prices!).  faint2.gif

And to keep the thread on track..:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-STAR-WARS-MOVIE-POSTER-REFERENCE-COLLECTION-VOTED-1-OFFERING-WORLDWIDE-/391103350673?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b0f938791
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 04:16:21 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1480 on: April 23, 2015, 04:21:37 PM »
Consider me newly informed.

I was aware of Matt Shapiro (!) but was not hitherto connecting the dots..

My word, doesn't he have some items for sale.  Are these prices 'considered' for these items or are they erm, hopeful?

As a collector of posters from a finite genre, and within that I concentrate on just the (non-Aus) English language elements, I have often considered the Star Wars genre to be a challenge.  There are fewer films but the sheer number of times they have been re(re)released in all their forms makes poster collecting to be a life's job.

Wonderful shop he has anyway.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1481 on: April 23, 2015, 04:23:56 PM »
I agree Simon.

He does have an eclectic mix. I wish I knew more of the back story and how he has acquired so much of this caliber.

However he did it, or obtained so much of the material, SW items included.. is to be applauded.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1482 on: April 23, 2015, 04:37:26 PM »
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 04:40:45 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1483 on: April 24, 2015, 01:07:54 PM »
Anyone know what happened to that Rare Star Wars posters site??
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1484 on: April 24, 2015, 01:14:21 PM »
Probably not the one u are referring to Paul, but one I came across:

http://sobadsogood.com/2014/03/11/rare-vintage-star-wars-movie-posters-youve-never-seen/

I like this:

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 01:20:04 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1485 on: April 24, 2015, 01:23:20 PM »
I did find that one whist looking for it Jeff, no it isn't that one..

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1486 on: April 24, 2015, 01:31:50 PM »
I always wonder if Mrs Miniver actually owns the piece on display.  At the price listed, he takes zero risk to ever sell them, so he could potentially list without owning the pieces.  Just for publicity.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1487 on: April 24, 2015, 03:37:03 PM »
I did find that one whist looking for it Jeff, no it isn't that one..

This one?  Still down, but they promise they're coming back

http://www.starwarsmovieposter.com/
-Brian

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1488 on: April 24, 2015, 03:53:05 PM »
I always wonder if Mrs Miniver actually owns the piece on display.  At the price listed, he takes zero risk to ever sell them, so he could potentially list without owning the pieces.  Just for publicity.

T

AS posted to NSF back in April, 2013 ( http://stylec.yuku.com/topic/10328). Sounds like he made a few people a little miffed at one time.

"Mrs. Miniver is indeed Matt Shapiro. Used to be living in north Jersey but has since moved on. Big time Star Wars collector who once had his own auction of Star Wars, Empire & Jedi posters thru Butterfields, I think.

Also has (had) a huge collection of prime, high dollar posters like Universal horror, Casablanca, etc. He also pissed off many of his poster buddies when he was tasked with providing photos of rare lobby cards for, I think it was Jon Warren's first poster price guide in the late 80's. Matt promised everyone who loaned him cards that they would get credit in the book, but he shafted everybody by taking high quality photos of the cards, churning out photo reprints of them, and taking all the credit for himself.

He also sold the reprints himself, making money from the collections of others. He took out a full page ad in the book featuring a $100. bill with his ugly mug on it. If you have the book, check it out for yourself. A pox on him."

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 04:02:43 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1489 on: April 24, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
AS posted to NSF back in April, 2013 ( http://stylec.yuku.com/topic/10328). Sounds like he made a few people a little miffed at one time.

"Mrs. Miniver is indeed Matt Shapiro. Used to be living in north Jersey but has since moved on. Big time Star Wars collector who once had his own auction of Star Wars, Empire & Jedi posters thru Butterfields, I think.

Also has (had) a huge collection of prime, high dollar posters like Universal horror, Casablanca, etc. He also pissed off many of his poster buddies when he was tasked with providing photos of rare lobby cards for, I think it was Jon Warren's first poster price guide in the late 80's. Matt promised everyone who loaned him cards that they would get credit in the book, but he shafted everybody by taking high quality photos of the cards, churning out photo reprints of them, and taking all the credit for himself.

He also sold the reprints himself, making money from the collections of others. He took out a full page ad in the book featuring a $100. bill with his ugly mug on it. If you have the book, check it out for yourself. A pox on him."

This quote is attributed to someone named 'cabmangray.'
5 posts.
Who is he/she/it?
I mean, are we reblogging an unsubstantiated smear?

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1490 on: April 24, 2015, 06:33:28 PM »
That's from Ari's site.
Maybe he knows more about this sordid event (?)  imbecile.gif

But isn't he out traipsing across the frozen Canadian frontier somewhere?

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #1491 on: April 24, 2015, 11:02:43 PM »
Ari's making his way west to east... probably in Toronto by now?  Or, as Torontonians call it, "the center of the universe"  :P

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1492 on: April 24, 2015, 11:10:00 PM »
That's from Ari's site.
Maybe he knows more about this sordid event (?)  imbecile.gif

But isn't he out traipsing across the frozen Canadian frontier somewhere?

Yes.. it is from Ari's site as i mentioned (NSF) and linked to.  ;)

The quote (the first part) was more directed at T's comment and question about whether mrs.miniver (matt s.) actually owned this huge collection or not. It would seem to suggest that he's been a poster guy for quite some time, especially if he did have his own auction of SW material at Butterfield's at one time. 

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1493 on: April 24, 2015, 11:29:30 PM »
NSFGE will often see people in the know stop in briefly to post some (usually substantiated) comments
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1494 on: April 25, 2015, 01:14:58 AM »
Yes.. it is from Ari's site as i mentioned (NSF) and linked to.  ;)

The quote (the first part) was more directed at T's comment and question about whether mrs.miniver (matt s.) actually owned this huge collection or not. It would seem to suggest that he's been a poster guy for quite some time, especially if he did have his own auction of SW material at Butterfield's at one time. 

Yes, but it doesn't mean he owns any of it.  It could be that he sold it years ago, took a bunch of pictures and is now using them to promote himself at prices no one will touch.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1495 on: April 25, 2015, 02:25:15 AM »
This one?  Still down, but they promise they're coming back

http://www.starwarsmovieposter.com/

Thanks that is most likely it, do you know why they are down?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1496 on: April 25, 2015, 02:40:09 AM »
Jeannie knows.  She told me she talked to Paul Wilson.  I'm going away for the weekend but I will call her on Monday to find out.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1497 on: April 25, 2015, 03:35:21 AM »
Yes, but it doesn't mean he owns any of it.  It could be that he sold it years ago, took a bunch of pictures and is now using them to promote himself at prices no one will touch.

T

Very true, T.

At the end of the day, its either one or the other, so it would be great to know for sure.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1498 on: April 25, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
NSFGE will often see people in the know stop in briefly to post some (usually substantiated) comments

True, Chris.

And the rest of the quote had enough detail and particulars to it, that, unless totally fabricated, would be unusual to come up with, to that degree, as far as a yarn spun just for the sake of badmouthing someone. (But there certainly is always that possibility, or with embellishments made or added). 

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #1499 on: April 25, 2015, 04:48:48 PM »
Matt does own the posters he has listed, and most of the stories you will hear about him are true (including the Warren one).
One of the more famous ones was when he was about to have the first million dollar poster (lot) sale - it included the Frankenstein teaser 1-sheet, a German Metropolis 3-sheet and a few other pieces (maybe King Kong 3-sheet? I forget but those two stick out in my head obviously). The interested purchaser was a famous actor, and at first Matt insisted he would only accept cash, after that didn't work, he finally got the guy to do something like 100 $9,000 money orders and $10,000 cash, but then kept changing the arrangements of how it could be picked up, insisting that he be able to film the transaction and promote it, etc. until the buyer finally had enough of the shenanigans and backed out.
But absolutely many of the rarest, most expensive pieces in the hobby have passed through his hands.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com