Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 676200 times)

wonka

Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2010, 04:14:03 PM »
Jeannie should have felt honored if anything!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2010, 04:16:31 PM »
no, that's okay.. I understand why she had THE HEAVY HAND OF CENSORAMA

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2010, 04:28:02 PM »
Jeezum crow, Rich...I didn't know you and Michelle were into the old BnD...
Bad little monkey...

kauaitx

« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2010, 05:10:57 PM »

......And people wonder why there aren't more women on these forums.

It's a wonder I've survived these last 5 years on them.  (Barely.)

Jeannie

kauaitx

« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2010, 06:00:06 PM »

On behalf of Michelle Pfeiffer and any other woman whose picture Rich may next decide to photoshop without permission, I protest. 

This has made me think of some things, though.  Why is it that sexual content that's almost invariably denigrating in form ultimately used to insult or to tease or to make jokes?  Is there no other form of humor that is equally or more funny? 

I don't think I've ever seen sexual jokes be anything but at the expense of the person receiving the joke.  And it's usually a woman who's the object of that sexual joke.  And then it's never anything positive and is almost always derogatory. 

There are responses from certain persons to Rich's new pictorial post that I find interesting, if not a double standard.

These new photos - I don't think they're funny anymore.

Jeannie

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2010, 06:07:24 PM »
Is there no other form of humor that is equally or more funny?

Slapstick  ;D

• Post-aholic
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2010, 06:43:18 PM »
Jeannie.. I don't see where Michelle is being denigrated or objectified
I'm the one she has a on a  leash. and is riding like a pony. and is making me eat her leather whip... and I don't feel I'm being denigrated one bit.. Michelle & I are going to try it again tonight as a matter of fact

mesmrized

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2010, 07:22:13 PM »
Results from the Star Wars sale on Ebay.  Any surprises?

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2010, 09:12:26 PM »
Don't think so, Mel.  If I had a boatload of cash, I'd have gone for some of them.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2010, 09:18:32 PM »
On behalf of Michelle Pfeiffer and any other woman whose picture Rich may next decide to photoshop without permission, I protest. 

This has made me think of some things, though.  Why is it that sexual content that's almost invariably denigrating in form ultimately used to insult or to tease or to make jokes?  Is there no other form of humor that is equally or more funny? 

I don't think I've ever seen sexual jokes be anything but at the expense of the person receiving the joke.  And it's usually a woman who's the object of that sexual joke.  And then it's never anything positive and is almost always derogatory. 

There are responses from certain persons to Rich's new pictorial post that I find interesting, if not a double standard.

These new photos - I don't think they're funny anymore.

Jeannie

If denigrating, though I do not agree, I think Rich is right there in the muck.  Seriously.  But, as I said, I don't think this is denigrating.  Frankly, I'm as equality-minded as they come, and that said, I have to question why anything of a sexual nature at all gets tossed into the "denigrating" category simply because it's misunderstood, or not understood, or otherwise out of the "norm".  Would poses of either a man or a woman in coitus, in the missionary position, be any more or less denigrating because it's more in keeping with the norm?  I don't think so.

I respect that the images Rich posted should not involve a private individual on a public forum. But, Michelle is a public figure, and Rich himself posted the pictures and chose to include his own image (ug) in the mix.  That's perfectly fine to me.  Lord help us if we end up being subjected to any one individual or group's sensibilities.  At that point, we lose the essence of constitutional democracy and what a lot of people have fought and died for in the name of freedom.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

wonka

« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2010, 09:34:54 PM »
I am completely shocked that the Chaykin did not go for more!

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2010, 09:46:33 PM »
That wast the one that stood out for me as well, that one seems a bit low.

savasart

« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2010, 10:46:07 PM »
That wast the one that stood out for me as well, that one seems a bit low.

I was watching that Chaykin poster.  It had some stains on the bottom of it that kept it from going higher.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2010, 03:41:06 AM »
I hope it wasn't a forum member that got that Vader B1.  I could have given them a better deal  :P
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

kauaitx

« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2010, 09:58:37 AM »

The prices for these Star Wars posters are holding up. 

I was interested (but not surprised) to see the commercial Coca-Cola advertising posters commanding prices in the hundreds still, as these are not commonly available. 

A perfectly mint, fresh Chaykin can fetch $1200-2000, depending on the number of people going for it. I think the $670 ending price is reasonable considering the border stains and two small edge tears on the poster.  Framed, it wouldn't make a difference since the image art is still good.  And if the image portion is still fresh and vibrant like new, that price is a steal.  If not, then I think it's the right price for it.

I am surprised, though, that the B1 Advance didn't sell, but, then, you'd have to be a die-hard collector to go for this one since it is not a pretty poster.  I haven't actively pursued it precisely because I know I'd never hang this one up.  It would be interesting to have in a Star Wars collection or to have so that a collection can be complete, but aesthetic wise it's ugly.  If only Ohrai had designed it instead.

Jeannie

Bruce

« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2010, 11:11:02 AM »
Watching these one and two bid auctions is almost as exciting as watching paint dry. That might account for some of the not-so-great prices.

Bruce

• Post-aholic
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2010, 04:11:03 PM »
I agree with Bruce.. I see so many listings on fleabay as auctions that are just set sale listings put in auctions for visibility. They could at least list it below value like 50% to get interest going.. That's one reason why fleabay sucks now

-------

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2010, 04:17:53 PM »
I see nothing wrong with protecting your item with a set starting price. I would rather see this than something listed for .99 and then have a reserve. When you are selling consignments you out nothing if it only sells for 5.00 where as someone that is selling their own item or a dealer doing a flip wants to protect their investment.

Bruce

« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2010, 04:31:03 PM »
Dale

I think they want to have the best of both worlds. They want to have a retail starting price, and then ALSO have spirited bidding, which almost never happens.

I believe you have fixed prices, and I have heard you have reasonable prices, and you don't make sellers participate in pretend auctions to buy your items. I think sellers should either auction or have fixed prices. When they try to do both, they sometimes end up with the worst elements of both.

Bruce

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2010, 06:06:41 PM »
I hope it wasn't a forum member that got that Vader B1.  I could have given them a better deal  :P

Wasn't me!!!!!!

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2010, 06:42:46 PM »
Yeah, I liked that ROTJ printer's proof - guess there aren't too many of these around:

agentprovocateur

« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2010, 09:20:16 AM »
I likey the printer's proof, very nice!

Hopefully I'm not going to be laughed off the forum but... delving into my long lost collection I stumbled upon these. Not entirely sure what they are (they could well be commercial prints!). They are much smaller than a 1-Sheet and were sent to me folded by the women I bought them off on ebay, single sided as well.

I remember there being 40"x60" bus shelter versions of these but nothing else, there's no extra printers logos on them and the text in the bottom left says '© 1999 LucasFilm Ltd & TM'.

If anyone knows anything about these it'd be great to get some info.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2010, 11:49:07 AM »
I'd say commercial posters, without a doubt.  Likely 24x36 in size which is pretty standard for commercial prints.

Pin 'em to your wall and enjoy them!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2010, 12:10:47 PM »
I'd say commercial posters, without a doubt.  Likely 24x36 in size which is pretty standard for commercial prints.
Pin 'em to your wall and enjoy them!

I don't know, they are machine-folded.  Usually, commercial posters are rolled; promotionals tend to be folded (for mailing).
And commercials like OSP, Zig-Zag, etc. have their own licensing info printed at the bottom.
I think they were some sort of pre-release promotional series.
Nice addition to any Star Wars collection.
And no, don't pin 'em to your wall (ouch)..

My latest addition is today's gift from Japan...

Ain't it purty?

agentprovocateur

« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2010, 12:45:01 PM »
Cheers guys

I know what you're saying Holiday, that's what I thought except for the lack of the commercial printers logo, so I couldn't be certain.

I think Brude got the size right, but I'm a lazy arse and can't be bothered with measuring them today... all in maybe mini versions of the bus shelter posters and really happy to have them.

Damn Brude that is a stunning poster, love the line at the bottom 'In commemoration of the release of the Japanese-dubbed version which starts from May 15 (Sat), 1982', fantastic. The art is stunning, quite a few Star Wars illustrations don't hit it for me but this ones great.

Would it be rude to ask how much a purty thing like that would set one back!?