Author Topic: plan chests, are they any good for your collection....  (Read 8299 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
plan chests, are they any good for your collection....
« on: April 17, 2011, 12:13:29 PM »
I have two plan chests I keep quite a few of my posters in. I was going through one of them when I got about half way down a pile and noticed a poster was not sliding out as usual!!!!  When it slid out I was Horrified to find....

All I can think is, you have to be very careful when putting posters into the draws as sometimes they can push the poster underneath to the back of the draw, where it will bunch up. Which looks like what's happened in this case. Newer posters are no bother, but older ones can be a nightmare.

I'm lucky it wasn't a more valuable piece, but it's still from 1954... :(    :'(

It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: plan chests, are they any good for your collection....
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 12:24:37 PM »
Thanks for that reminder.  One of my Elvis posters took a beating from the same thing.  Now I try to close the drawers slowly and constantly adjust the posters so that one does not stick out and I also pull them all to the front.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 12:28:04 PM »
I just wish I could find one of these chests and/or map files!  I'd like to be able to unfold my one sheets and lay them flat one day...
Chris

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 12:30:14 PM »
Ugh, that sucks. I have less than a hundred posters, so I keep them all in tubes in an old pine hope chest. They're safe for now, but eventually I'll want to flatten them all out, and then it gets scary.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 12:30:49 PM »
Be carful when putting them into the chest Mel, as older posters tend to push the one underneath backwards... more so if there is a little tear, pin hole, etc  that just catches.  

Storage the poster collectors nightmare.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 02:01:45 PM »
Be carful when putting them into the chest Mel, as older posters tend to push the one underneath backwards... more so if there is a little tear, pin hole, etc  that just catches.  

Storage the poster collectors nightmare.

The ones we used "back in the day" at Hewlett-Packard had a canvas top cover on each drawer that would keep the drawings from riding up in the back and also helped flatten them.  Should be easy enough to make.

Got excited today as a nice 8 drawer blueprint file showed up cheap on craigslist.  Then I looked at the drawer dimensions: 28 x 39 7/8.  No joy.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 02:12:05 PM »
I recall, even as a kid, having papers getting stuck this way, in my old bedroom desk. Papers would shift to the back then get pinched between the upper part of the drawer and underside of the desk lid, resulting in these kinds of tears.

Sorry to see that happened with your quad, Paul.  :(

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 02:15:36 PM »
Without a doubt they hold a load of posters, but you have to be very, very careful... nono  I'm glad all were out the air was blue for a few moments...

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 02:16:52 PM »
I put all of my posters in polyethylene sleeves. So far so good. I have not had any issues. If I were you guys I would invest in a few bags to put your more treasured posters in and store them away.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 02:21:33 PM »
Are they neutral PH, as acids in plastics can attack the paper...

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 02:38:33 PM »
I do a couple different things to prevent this

first of all, for plain unbacked posters, I usually put a poster bag on top of each poster as a separator. I never put a poster in the bag unless I have a special reason. seriously, posters stored flat in bags is a danger because when handled, they almost always cause small creases or dings. The unbagged posters means plastic is not backed up to plastic - which slides against the other plastic, so I have avoided the slide.

when I go into the drawers, I make sure everything is set right and I NEVER PUSH THE DRAWER TO SLIDE IN BY ITSELF FROM FORCE. I gently close the drawer with my hand on the handle

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 02:42:46 PM »
The bags from bags unlimited are Acid Free. I did some research on polyethylene before and after my bulk purchase. I found that some poly bags include an additive called BHT. BHT can cause yellowing. However, I spoke to an employee from bags unlimited and they told me the poly bags they sell are virgin polyethylene and she said they are BHT free.

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 02:49:47 PM »
. seriously, posters stored flat in bags is a danger because when handled, they almost always cause small creases or dings. The unbagged posters means plastic is not backed up to plastic - which slides against the other plastic, so I have avoided the slide.

I can say I have ran into that problem but only when I was not so patient in pulling a poster out of the drawer. I also put two posters back to back in my sleeves. Typically when i pull out a poster I grab both top and bottom corners and pull straight out and so far that method has not given me any issues.

Plastic on plastic I found has not really been an issue as long as you close and open your drawers slowly they don't move around.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 06:24:31 PM »
Does anyone know of a place in the UK to get hold of the bags Cj is talking about?
I might do this - looks like a sure fire way to stop direct handling of a poster.
Best wishes,
Adam