Author Topic: Newb looking to buy first poster. Need help  (Read 53241 times)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Re: Newb looking to buy first poster. Need help
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2011, 08:06:23 PM »
Of all the sites on the internet concerning movie posters (LAMP, MoPo, whatever...), you've come to APF, the best place to learn about this hobby.  So, you can't go wrong.  wynk

This cannot be argued...At least not by me  :P

Amazing forum! Very active with many many knowledgeable poster loons. Loaded with boat loads of unfiltered and uncensored information.

Plus a lot of pretty shiny pictures.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2011, 08:23:58 PM »
To any noob reading this... many people feel that that site is by scumbags, for scumbags.

Mel's continual endorsement of it, along with a number of other questionable items, is why you should take his website with a grain of salt.  Although, the same could be said for most resources.

Some sites require just a grain, others a chunk and still others a large block of NaCl
That's what makes it all interesting..  ;D

Jeff
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 08:45:09 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2011, 08:37:30 PM »
Mel's continual endorsement of it, along with a number of other questionable items, is why you should take his website with a grain of salt.

What questionable items does Mel endorse?

DreamWarrior

« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2011, 08:38:50 PM »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2011, 09:08:49 PM »
To any noob reading this... many people feel that that site is by scumbags, for scumbags.

Mel's continual endorsement of it, along with a number of other questionable items, is why you should take his website with a grain of salt.  Although, the same could be said for most resources.

A newbie should take anything you say with a grain of salt, since you don't have a website, don't show your collection, never say anything positive, and are here primarily to "stir the shit" as you've eloquently bragged in the past.

That said, MoviePosterDB is a "great" resource only to the extent it is a comprehensive source of images not available anywhere else.  It is not "great" to the extent they are working with MoviePosterShop or making a profit off the site.  I've had an extensive email conversation with Martijn Weghorst, the owner of MPDB.  He admits they make a "small" profit off the site and have a relationship with MoviePosterShop but not with MovieGoods. (Whether that's true or not doesn't matter, they're both reprint vendors who illegally sell posters without licenses.)

So no, I don't "endorse" them 100%.  I just recognize they do offer a comprehensive service not available anywhere else.

Perhaps you're willing to make the time and effort to start a conflict-free, 100% free new image database?  No? What a surprise.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2011, 09:50:01 PM »
What questionable items does Mel endorse?

In many of his image lists he includes quasi-posters (Killian tributes, commercial etc.) along side actual movie posters without noting the difference.  The can give a false impression to the newer collectors that the site is designed to attract.

Also, here is an example of the partially correct information that Mel seems to specialize in:

"Miramax recalled the first Pulp Fiction poster after because it did not have permission to use “Lucky Strike” cigarette and “Harlot Heart” book imagery.  This poster is now extremely rare and valuable.  The replacement poster (below center) shows a generic pack of cigarettes and the book “Pulp Fiction” instead."  

Here, using the term 'replacement poster' is incorrect at worst or mis-leading at best, because he shows the regular Pulp Fiction poster and not the dictionary advance, which was the 'replacement poster' for the recalled Lucky Strike.  Now, is this a big problem? No, but it can easily be misleading, particularly when dealing with new collectors.

Look, I like what Mel has tried to do, but I think he's been a bit slippery 'round the edges.  Hence, the grain of salt.

As for Mel's entirely predictable and tired response/personal attack, visit posterdb.com...

"are here primarily to "stir the shit" as you've eloquently bragged in the past." - please, pull the direct quote, I'll wait...

DreamWarrior, that is my new favorite 'I like where...' pic, thanks...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 10:18:13 PM by archie leach »

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2011, 10:30:42 PM »
In many of his image lists he includes quasi-posters (Killian tributes, commercial etc.) along side actual movie posters without noting the difference.  The can give a false impression to the newer collectors that the site is designed to attract.

Also, here is an example of the partially correct information that Mel seems to specialize in:

"Miramax recalled the first Pulp Fiction poster after because it did not have permission to use “Lucky Strike” cigarette and “Harlot Heart” book imagery.  This poster is now extremely rare and valuable.  The replacement poster (below center) shows a generic pack of cigarettes and the book “Pulp Fiction” instead." 

Here, using the term 'replacement poster' is incorrect at worst or mis-leading at best, because he shows the regular Pulp Fiction poster and not the dictionary advance, which was the 'replacement poster' for the recalled Lucky Strike.  Now, is this a big problem? No, but it can easily be misleading, particularly when dealing with new collectors.

Look, I like what Mel has tried to do, but I think he's been a bit slippery 'round the edges.  Hence, the grain of salt.

As for Mel's entirely predictable and tired response/personal attack, visit posterdb.com...

"are here primarily to "stir the shit" as you've eloquently bragged in the past." - please, pull the direct quote, I'll wait...

DreamWarrior, that is my new favorite 'I like where...' pic, thanks...

I think that's a really trivial nitpick. That website is his collection, with information on the posters he owns. If he owned the "dictionary advance", there would be reason to mention it. I mean, I have blurbs below all the posters in my collection, but I seldom mention ones that I don't own. If he was putting together a comprehensive explanation of all Pulp Fiction posters it would be a different story.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2011, 10:47:39 PM »
I think that's a really trivial nitpick. That website is his collection, with information on the posters he owns. If he owned the "dictionary advance", there would be reason to mention it. I mean, I have blurbs below all the posters in my collection, but I seldom mention ones that I don't own. If he was putting together a comprehensive explanation of all Pulp Fiction posters it would be a different story.

Your incorrect, whether or not he owns a poster has not stopped him from including anything on that site.  I am sure that there are a number of 'borrowed' images, unless Mel's been picking up a bunch of 30's Universal horror titles lately.

I agree, and stated in my post, that that particular issue is a minor one, but it typifies a general sloppiness that does no one any good.  I would agree more with your point if we were talking about a simple collector's web page, but we're not.  We are talking about a site designed as a prime reference for new collectors, where clarity and accuracy should be of utmost importance.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 11:16:50 PM by archie leach »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2011, 10:58:38 PM »
While I agree LAMP could be prettied up, the wealth of knowledge there is unsurpassed as far as movie posters go. And its not THAT hard to navigate. Easy enough to google LAMP "insert query"  and go direct to what your after.

I use it often.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2011, 12:00:08 AM »
here is an example of the partially correct information that Mel seems to specialize in:

Most websites will have errors, especially newer sites. If Mel has made an error on the site I am sure he will happily fix it up if you provide specific details. Building a site is a lot of hard work. Saying Mel specializes in partially correct information I think is being unfair. Mel is quite new to the hobby and learning fast. Can't ask for much more than that.

I agree, and stated in my post, that it is a minor issue, but it typifies a general sloppiness that does no one any good.  I would agree more with your point if we were talking about a simple collector's web page, but we're not.  We are talking about a site designed as a prime reference for new collectors, where clarity and accuracy should be of utmost importance.

Sorry Archie, but I think you need a reality check on this. Mel's site is not a $30K - $500K commercially built website, with money available to employ researchers, and time to burn, but it is built by a collector with, I assume, next to no finances for a new site, just an interest to do some good for the hobby. If we sat around waiting for just near perfect commercial sites to be developed, instead of enjoying the miriad of non commercial sites we visit and enjoy, the web for poster collectors would be a more barren unappealing place. If someone told me my new non commercial website had 'general sloppiness' I would tell them to either help, or F Off. Just let him know any better knowledge you may have about the subject matter and surely Mel would be more than happy to investigate and make the site more accurate. Good things start from small things. Mel has done an admirable job so far with his site. It is a great tool for newbies, that didnt exist before in such an easy to digest form.

Additionally, I agree with Mel, unless people have a website to share, they shouldn't be so critical of others websites.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2011, 12:30:06 AM »
Most websites will have errors, especially newer sites. If Mel has made an error on the site I am sure he will happily fix it up if you provide specific details. Building a site is a lot of hard work. Saying Mel specializes in partially correct information I think is being unfair. Mel is quite new to the hobby and learning fast. Can't ask for much more than that.

Getting things correct does not take money.  Not noting the difference between commercial posters and movie posters is not a mistake.  It was a choice.  Anyone can throw together a half-assed attempt, it only takes a modicum of effort to get things right.

Why would I bother correcting Mel?  He made it exceptionally clear that he was only interested in getting pats on the back for his website when he asked for 'feedback' the first time.  I will agree with your bolded statement, but I wonder how many new collector to APF or his site know that that is the case.  In many ways, it's the gist of the problem.

Sorry Archie, but I think you need a reality check on this. Mel's site is not a $30K - $500K commercially built website, with money available to employ researchers, and time to burn, but it is built by a collector with, I assume, next to no finances for a new site, just an interest to do some good for the hobby. If we sat around waiting for just near perfect commercial sites to be developed, instead of enjoying the miriad of non commercial sites we visit and enjoy, the web for poster collectors would be a more barren unappealing place. If someone told me my new non commercial website had 'general sloppiness' I would tell them to either help, or F Off. Just let him know any better knowledge you may have about the subject matter and surely Mel would be more than happy to investigate and make the site more accurate. Good things start from small things. Mel has done an admirable job so far with his site. It is a great tool for newbies, that didnt exist before in such an easy to digest form.

Additionally, I agree with Mel, unless people have a website to share, they shouldn't be so critical of others websites.

Please...  that is one of the lamest arguments going.  So Ebert is only qualified to judge the quality of a film because he wrote the script to Beyond the Valley of the Dolls?

BTW, the paper that minty white reprints are printed on was once considered a 'trivial' matter...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2011, 01:27:25 AM »
At the risk of threadjacking my own thread, what happened to our Lakers eatbrie? I did not see such a poor regular season finish coming. I do feel confident about their ability to kick it up in the playoffs. Kobe needs number six! 8)

Good God, I was going thru today's diatribe and almost missed the most important question: What happened to the Lakers?  I'll tell you what happened to them.  As always, they are the most unreliable team in the NBA, capable of pure greatness and able to turn it off from one moment to the other.  They did turn it off, but I believe, I believe they can prevail.  In the West, I only worry about OC.  SA, Dallas, Denver... bah, couldn't care less.  But Kevin Durant scares me a little.  In the East, all I want is for the Celts and the Bulls to win.  I'd love a rematch with the Celts, but the Bulls would do fine.  In the end, the only thing I don't want is for the Heat to win.  Screw LeBron, the backstabber asshole.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2011, 02:03:20 AM »
Good God, I was going thru today's diatribe and almost missed the most important question: What happened to the Lakers?  I'll tell you what happened to them.  As always, they are the most unreliable team in the NBA, capable of pure greatness and able to turn it off from one moment to the other.  They did turn it off, but I believe, I believe they can prevail.  In the West, I only worry about OC.  SA, Dallas, Denver... bah, couldn't care less.  But Kevin Durant scares me a little.  In the East, all I want is for the Celts and the Bulls to win.  I'd love a rematch with the Celts, but the Bulls would do fine.  In the end, the only thing I don't want is for the Heat to win.  Screw LeBron, the backstabber asshole.

T

I am not sure what you keep going on about since the basketball season always ends the first weekend in April...

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2011, 02:39:04 AM »
Please...  that is one of the lamest arguments going.  So Ebert is only qualified to judge the quality of a film because he wrote the script to Beyond the Valley of the Dolls?

Judge it and give Mel feedback. There is currently a lot of great work in there. For those who have been building websites for a long while and practically understand the effort and commitment involved, I believe they wouldn't be so critical at this point of Mel's new hobby site, which is after all, a no budget, poster enthusiast built site, which is free for everyone to visit, utilize and enjoy... (Note, I also don't agree with using images without credits, but I have mentioned that previously)

He made it exceptionally clear that he was only interested in getting pats on the back for his website when he asked for 'feedback' the first time.

I don't have any problem with anyone building a website to mainly get pats on the back. Their has to be some motivation there for the creator, it is the output that matters to the visitor. I am close to finishing my new poster website and I will have a comments section there so people can bestow the highest praise in the land upon me and also worship me. There is otherwise little motivation in spending so much time creating it, to think few people will mention their appreciation or say they enjoyed visiting.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:42:38 AM by 50s »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2011, 03:07:34 AM »
Judge it and give Mel feedback. There is currently a lot of great work in there. For those who have been building websites for a long while and practically understand the effort and commitment involved, I believe they wouldn't be so critical at this point of Mel's new hobby site, which is after all, a no budget, poster enthusiast built site, which is free for everyone to visit, utilize and enjoy... (Note, I also don't agree with using images without credits, but I have mentioned that previously)

I don't have any problem with anyone building a website to mainly get pats on the back. Their has to be some motivation there for the creator, it is the output that matters to the visitor. I am close to finishing my new poster website and I will have a comments section there so people can bestow the highest praise in the land upon me and also worship me. There is otherwise little motivation in spending so much time creating it, to think few people will mention their appreciation or say they enjoyed visiting.

You missed the key word 'only' in the segment that you quoted from my post.

I am, for several reasons, quite aware of the effort and commitment involved, but that is really not the point. The things that I mentioned (after revisiting his site for less than two minutes) take very little time and effort to correct. When you create a reference site aimed at new collectors you have a responsibility to provide accurate information.

You keep saying 'judge and give feedback'... but that has already happened and Mel proved incapable of handling criticism at the time (and at other times).  So, once again, I ask what is the point?

If anything, your comments support my suggestion that his website should be taken with a grain of salt.

Offline Severen

• Hobbyist
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2011, 04:39:25 AM »
Indeed I do. The Exorcist, Nightmare on Elm Street(1&3), Halloween (1&2), Hellraiser(1,2,3,6), Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday the 13th (1&6), The Thing, House, They Live, Lost Boys, Scream, Fright Night, Silver Bullet, Wishmaster, House of 1000 Corpses, Devil's Rejects, Tremors, JC's Vampires, Alien(s), Predator (1&2), IT, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness, Jaws, Last Man On Earth, Omega Man, The Hitcher, Silence of the Lambs, Killer Klowns From Outer Space, Brainscan, Pet Cemetary. Those are off the top of my head and now I'll write them down.

Nice list Dreamwarrior! Looks like you and I have the same taste in movies.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2011, 09:27:15 AM »
While I agree LAMP could be prettied up, the wealth of knowledge there is unsurpassed as far as movie posters go. And its not THAT hard to navigate. Easy enough to google LAMP "insert query"  and go direct to what your after.

I use it often.

I also use it often. There is a load of info in there.

I have to disagree on ease of use. Anybody can use it as its not impossible but compared to most every other site and what people are now used to its hard to navigate.
Sure I am pretty good at it now but that came with a visit or two and a couple of "What the fucks. Where the hell is that page. I know I found it last time" moments..

Maybe its not perfect but I love Mels site and give it two super  happy1 for all newbs. Its a great reference and no better place to start. Especially when you literally dont know anything

DreamWarrior

« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2011, 12:29:07 PM »

T
I think... I think I love you. :-* ;D

DreamWarrior

« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2011, 12:35:11 PM »
Nice list Dreamwarrior! Looks like you and I have the same taste in movies.
Thank you sir. Those are the movies I grew up watching. Nothing against the old classics but they don't mean as much to me. My dad wasn't concerned about scaring the shit out of me so I have been watching horror since I was four years old. Good god, did I have nightmares. Horror movies also have great poster art IMO and those titles listed can be had for a decent price. It's a win win. I almost forgot Leprechaun. It seems silly now but the first one scared me when I was little.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2011, 01:22:48 PM »
Thank you sir. Those are the movies I grew up watching. Nothing against the old classics but they don't mean as much to me. My dad wasn't concerned about scaring the shit out of me so I have been watching horror since I was four years old. Good god, did I have nightmares. Horror movies also have great poster art IMO and those titles listed can be had for a decent price. It's a win win. I almost forgot Leprechaun. It seems silly now but the first one scared me when I was little.

My 30 yo daughter will still leave the room if there is any clown in there.  And we turned that darned movie (IT) off after the first 1/2 hour.  :o
-Jay-

Bruce

« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2011, 01:39:22 PM »
This thread should be pinned. It is as least as worthy as any other that is currently pinned, and it would give encouragement to other new members to post.

Bruce

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2011, 04:23:28 PM »

"are here primarily to "stir the shit" as you've eloquently bragged in the past." - please, pull the direct quote, I'll wait.

...and wait...

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2011, 06:05:46 PM »

Mel's continual endorsement of it, along with a number of other questionable items, is why you should take his website with a grain of salt.

I have to agree with Leach on this.

gun1 Movieposterdb is extremely dodgy! gun2

Mel seems to forget, and does not mention, that although the website is made up of images of genuine movie posters, it also includes FAN-MADE movie posters! And many criminals use that website to print & sell illegal prints of movie posters.

Mel - using that website, and being so open about it, means you do endorse it and couldn't care less about what people think of it. So what, you've spoken with the owner - that doesn't mean the website is above board! You just don't seem to grasp that. Why do you think the site is NOT linked into by almost ALL poster websites?? Think of your own reputation!

Most websites will have errors, especially newer sites. If Mel has made an error on the site I am sure he will happily fix it up if you provide specific details.

Been there - some mistakes I mentioned to him are still present.

but it is built by a collector with, I assume, next to no finances for a new site, just an interest to do some good for the hobby.

I highly doubt this, Steve.
Mel has publicly posted his spending in terms of posters - what was it? $40,000 or something?
If a person can spend that amount of money on posters then they can afford to build a website professionally, or even semi-professionally, rather than using their MAC.  cool1

I disagree.
Not many people have websites and if a person criticises one website, but praises another, then the owner of the criticised website should look at a better website to see if they agree with the other persons comments and to see what they could do to improve & develop their own website.

Now we all know Mel's psyche and attitude, and stubbornness, so I am going to say something:
Mel - you attack people all the time & lie about people a lot; your last reply to me was a sly dig. Just Chill. cheers
Take constructive criticism, because that's what this is all about.  whip

You have got to understand people are always going to criticise your website because of the nature of it. So take it.
When people are advising you, and sometimes telling you, to credit and attribute where you get your information from - do it!
You are making out to people (those who don't know you) that you are someone you are not.

Where is the pride in your reputation?
That's what I want to know, because to me someone who erases watermarks from an image and uploads it to their website has a lot of questions to answer.  uhno

Best wishes,
Adam

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2011, 06:52:38 PM »
DreamWarrior,
To echo what has been said: be patient.  I do not doubt CineMasterpieces poster authenticity, however, I think you will find many of the posters you are looking for for less. I share your taste in movies and posters, check out my collection is linked in my signature. I have recently ascertained a few more but not photographed yet.

Best regards,
Conor
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2011, 07:40:26 PM »
I share your taste in movies and posters, check out my collection is linked in my signature. I have recently ascertained a few more but not photographed yet.

Best regards,
Conor

Nice collection, Conor!
I like! happy1
Best wishes,
Adam