Author Topic: Newb looking to buy first poster. Need help  (Read 53926 times)

DreamWarrior

Re: Newb looking to buy first poster. Need help
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2011, 12:01:02 AM »
Thanks. How often do you change your avatar? 8)

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2011, 12:08:52 AM »
Thanks. How often do you change your avatar? 8)

Haha, not often. Just whenever I get a new idea. I've only made three, really. All are riffs on actual posters, obviously.

DreamWarrior

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2011, 12:39:29 AM »
Nice. My first poster will be my first avatar. Just wait, just you wait.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2011, 12:50:25 AM »
Another site worth looking through (not the easiest to navigate but you'll figure it out)

http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/

I don't like LAMP.  Never did.  The site is ancient, kind of like MoPo.  A lot of info is either obsolete or not up to date.  Really not user friendly.  It might have been good 10 years ago, but it's definitely not where I would send newbies today.  I think Mel's sites are much more fun and informative: Poster Nirvana or Movie Poster Collectors.  Or Cinemasterpieces.  Or any other site, really.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2011, 02:15:32 AM »
Or any other site, really.

T

So should I just suggest Professor Powers' site then?
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2011, 02:40:44 AM »
There are also many that appreciate what LAMP has to offer, as well as the knowledge that Ed and Susan Poole possess in the poster (and film ephemera fields), copyright information, the NSS and its history etc. They are top notch, IMO.  sm1

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2011, 02:54:41 AM »
So should I just suggest Professor Powers' site then?

YES!!!

The best poster site on the World Wide Web: Professor Powers

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2011, 03:01:51 AM »
There are also many that appreciate what LAMP has to offer...

I'm sure there are, Jeff, most of them on social security.
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2011, 03:45:10 AM »

laugh1

-Jeff

Bruce

« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2011, 08:03:12 AM »
"The site is ancient, kind of like MoPo".

Wow, two cutting blows with one shot. That kind of makes you the Don Rickles of the poster world.

Bruce

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2011, 08:10:42 AM »

Wow, two cutting blows with one shot. That kind of makes you the Don Rickles of the poster world.

Bruce

LOL

He did have me laughing  :)

That is a tough site to navigate.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2011, 08:44:48 AM »

Bruce

LAMP and MOPO websites ARE ancient examples of how the web used to be more commonly 10-20 years ago.

LAMP: The site reaks of the early 1990's - With all the awful animated gifs which I thought had long gone, the double borders around HTML tables, a 'Submit' button.
Code such as the following went obsolete over 10 years ago with CSS version 1 in 1996:
<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><strong>
Apart from the recent menu they added, the rest of the page code (HTML) is 1990's
No web designer in the past 10 years would put that site into their CV when looking for a job.
Sure, a lot of good work has been put into the site, however technologically, it is a dinosaur.

MOPO: we know MOPO consists mostly of long term members. New members are few and far between. The web has moved on leaving MOPO behind. Poster collectors are joining forums not list servers.

Your site Bruce is also dated, so I can see where the confusion may lie. Your site, like LAMP, is also using pre 1996 obsolete code, eg:<font size="2" face="Verdana">
Also unstyled 'Search' buttons are so early 1990's. Look at the top few inches of your home page - the many different fonts are what web designers describe as a ransom note page. Like the LAMP site, that is what websites looked like in the 1990's, like ransom notes. Your site is better coded than LAMP but not that much better. Whoever has been coding the CSS styles needs to redo it much more efficiently. CSS has been around for 15 years with countless webpages on how to use it properly. Take the CSS in the <head> of all your pages for example. That code should go into a seperate CSS file, as it currently contributes to a slower page load having it embedded on all your pages, but that is just the start of the CSS problems. ( You had requested site feedback Bruce  ;) )

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 09:41:23 AM by 50s »

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2011, 08:53:26 AM »
Unless new unsavory things have come to light, I am seriously looking a a number of his posters. Many of them are on my list and are listed as original rolled. By looking at the pictures I would say they are rolled, and according to Mel's experience they are the real deal.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hellraiser-1987-movie-poster-/360359889100?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e71f88cc  
http://cgi.ebay.com/Thing-1982-movie-poster-/360359891558?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e71f9266

Movieposterzone on ebay are ambiguous.
They have good gear, sure, but a lot of the time they leave out information about the poster such as whether or not a poster is single or double sided. I suggest you pm and talk to others on the forum as well.

There are also many that appreciate what LAMP has to offer, as well as the knowledge that Ed and Susan Poole possess in the poster (and film ephemera fields), copyright information, the NSS and its history etc. They are top notch, IMO.  sm1

Jeff

I agree, Jeff.

Below is my case for LAMP:

I think Mel's sites are much more fun and informative: Poster Nirvana or Movie Poster Collectors.

T

I have got to disagree with that statement, T.
More fun than LAMP? That's a personal choice (if the headers and body copy don't play up).
But more informative than LAMP?? laugh1 (sorry, Mel)

Mel's sites might be decent, but at the end of the day with regards to the collector site he, unfortunately, gives no real credit to where he gets his information from. Where's the originality? In the design? The man behind it?

Almost every single thing on that website is secondary research, and not primary research.
The website is also still bias in certain areas.
Is LAMP bias anywhere? I don't think they are.
A collector website such as Mel's should not be bias in any way.

For a guy who has been collecting for just 2 years, it is admirable what Mel has done, but I say this again, he should not portray things on his website as though it is all his doing - it isn't, and that is why LAMP (Ed & Susan) will ALWAYS command far more respect than he ever will (unless he starts changing his crediting & attribution structure). People have explained this to him and he has not listened.

I believe this sentence on his website hinders him:
'Pursuant to the “fair use” provisions of United States copyright law, any images on this site subject to copyright protection are displayed solely for the non-profit purposes of education and promotion of movie poster collecting.'

Well, essentially LAMP could do the same, but instead they use their own archive and attribute images to the place/person they received them from.

Yes, LAMP may well be cumbersome for a few, but the wealth of information on there surpasses any other website.
That is a fact. The website may also be rather outdated in design, but at least it doesn't go wrong often, if at all.
And it does its job, and it does it bloody well.

Mel - this is not an attack on you.
Take it as constructive feedback - don't go mental again.  cool1
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2011, 09:36:46 AM »

;D
Chris

Bruce

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2011, 09:41:06 AM »
"You had requested site feedback Bruce"

I am glad to get it and have forwarded it to those who program the site.

There are lots of improvements I would like to make, but time and money hinder many of them.

Bruce

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2011, 09:49:58 AM »
Bruce, while I love the new search engine, I think the BIGGEST issue it needs to address is the ability to filter both size and country of origin.

(Apologies in advance if this has already been mentioned, but I think those two options included on your search function would take the database to the next level.).
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

DreamWarrior

« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2011, 11:09:54 AM »
At the risk of threadjacking my own thread, what happened to our Lakers eatbrie? I did not see such a poor regular season finish coming. I do feel confident about their ability to kick it up in the playoffs. Kobe needs number six! 8)

DreamWarrior

« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2011, 11:13:03 AM »
Movieposterzone on ebay are ambiguous.
They have good gear, sure, but a lot of the time they leave out information about the poster such as whether or not a poster is single or double sided. I suggest you pm and talk to others on the forum as well.
Yeah the descriptions are barely existent. But, I am only interested in one side one sheets.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2011, 12:20:58 PM »
I think Mel's sites are much more fun and informative: Poster Nirvana or Movie Poster Collectors.  

Thanks dude, but not as "fun and informative" as "Crying and Eating."

Mel - this is not an attack on you. Take it as constructive feedback....

To quote our Head Honcho, "thank you Adam for your great knowledge. Your wisdom is always appreciated."  © 2011 APF

Bruce

« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2011, 12:30:12 PM »
"I think the BIGGEST issue it needs to address is the ability to filter both size and country of origin."

These are high up on the list of things to do to it. That is why we have released it in a test format, to get this kind of input.

It may seem like no big deal to make these kinds of changes, but there can be lots of unintended consequences to small changes, and when you are dealing with 500,000 entries and images, doing any change is bigger than you think.

Have patience, grasshopper.

Bruce

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2011, 12:56:41 PM »
Wow, look at that... I criticize MoPo and LAMP and the world goes upside down. 

To the ones that don't think LAMP should be criticized (sorry, I can't do say anything positive about MoPo)... Sure, the site is informative, but who has time to dig in?  I'd take 20 minutes to find any kind of info, and would for sure turn away any newbie looking to make a dent in this hobby.  Why did I mention Mel's site?  Because it's easy to navigate, clear and simple.  Does it hold 5% of LAMP's info?  Sure, but the purpose of this thread was to help a beginner, and a beginner couldn't care less about 95% of LAMP's shared awesomeness.  I know, because as a beginner, I went to LAMP and almost puked my brains out.  I was like... WTF is all this shit about.  Who F cares?

And now, as a slightly more seasoned collector, I still don't need LAMP.  I have enough base knowledge to make my way through and learn on my own.

The result: Didn't need LAMP then, don't need LAMP now.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2011, 02:02:46 PM »
I would call LAMP more of a scholarly  and technical site. Is the site outdated, graphically? Per Steve, it sounds like a lot could be done to bring it's appearance and layout into 2011. But the amounts of information, including that in the "Members Only" sections (i am not a member), is really geared to the percentage of folks that want to do research in areas such as the NSS, copyright, Artists, Printer's Information and markings, associated dates that they were in business, Country of Origin etc.

Sure.. if you want "fun" and quick visual overviews of posters, a site like Mel's is fine. But for those that desire or want to know about more of the inner workings of studios and the association with their publicity materials, then LAMP is the site to tackle. Does it take a little time? Of course. But doesn't any kind of research? Again, I stress, this is for those that WANT to take the time to look through it. LAMP has an easy to use Poster Image search section. It isn't tough to navigate whatsoever.

Look at the poster verification sites that talk, at length, about the sometimes slight variations between a bootleg and a legitimate poster. They can get quite detailed with the information they provide-- and it is very valuable. But one has to read them, not just look at the photos, in order to benefit most from the info given, especially if you own a poster in question.

At the end of the day, these are all out personal opinions.. but valuable nevertheless. It gives both newbies and seasoned collectors the opportunity to explore a site they may not have been aware of before. They then, can make their own personal assessment. That's what makes this hobby fun. The thrill of the hunt and "digging around" online to verify finds!   happy1

Jeff

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2011, 02:17:33 PM »
It's not a "zero sum" game - lots of great sites out there like LAMP, MoviePosterDB, IMP, etc.

I think LAMP's terrific and I probably was a bit unfair to it in bygone days.  I use it much more than I used to.  The database is unmatched and, now that I occasionally buy from dealers, I also use the dealer links for hard-to-find posters.  Really it just needs a design update and the dealers need to update their current inventory on the site. (Many times I've found that a poster listed as available has been sold.) 

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2011, 07:35:38 PM »
It's not a "zero sum" game - lots of great sites out there like LAMP, MoviePosterDB, IMP, etc.

To any noob reading this... many people feel that that site is by scumbags, for scumbags.

Mel's continual endorsement of it, along with a number of other questionable items, is why you should take his website with a grain of salt.  Although, the same could be said for most resources.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2011, 07:43:52 PM »
BTW,  welcome1 Dream Warrior.
I like your want/wish list.  Nice taste in modern horror.  thumbup

Of all the sites on the internet concerning movie posters (LAMP, MoPo, whatever...), you've come to APF, the best place to learn about this hobby.  So, you can't go wrong.  wynk