Author Topic: Newb looking to buy first poster. Need help  (Read 53909 times)

dhart3

Re: Newb looking to buy first poster. Need help
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2011, 06:06:45 PM »
lol.. I bet DreamWarrior never dreamt (pardon the pun) he would get this kind of response. 

Regarding linenbacking, I compare it to restored comic books (which I also collect).  A restored CB always has a major stigma attached to it and as a result they are worth a fraction of an untouched copy.  For posters, it's not that severe.  There are a lot of collectors that may prefer them.  But I doubt I'll ever own one. 

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2011, 06:09:27 PM »
RE Linen backing

..... if you have a very rare poster and you think it deserves preserving for the reasons T stated, then linen backing is fine.

Better still, put it in a mylar pocket for a fraction of the price.

Mark

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2011, 06:12:53 PM »

funny that, a friend asked me why i had a dirty piece of paper rapped in plastic framed on my wall ;D ;D

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2011, 07:10:43 PM »

Mark

Yeah, I know, but if a rare poster is extremely brittle etc then linen backing it will be of benefit.
I would sure as hell bet everything I own on a Metropolis US One Sheet selling for more linen backed and preserved than a unbacked, beat up version ... should one EVER be found that is lol, and assuming it would be in a pretty beaten up state when found!

I don't own many linen backed posters - I've never actually sent any posters for linen backing myself.
But I do believe in what I said.  ;D

Anyway, most of the mega rich prefer linen backing because it is easier to frame the posters!
That's what I was told by the guys at The Reel Poster Gallery whose client list is  jawdrop
Best wishes,
Adam

DreamWarrior

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2011, 07:59:16 PM »
If I only buy rolled posters I won't have to worry about backing. ;)

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2011, 08:02:23 PM »

Ah, but some posters are only available folded (anything before the mid-eighties)! What then? :)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2011, 08:06:57 PM »
Ah, but some posters are only available folded (anything before the mid-eighties)! What then? :)

Ah, but that is where you are wrong ... :P
Many of us guys here have rolled posters from the '70s, and some even from the '60s, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone here has a rolled poster from the '50s or even earlier!
Best wishes,
Adam

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2011, 08:08:07 PM »
Ah, but that is where you are wrong ... :P
Many of us guys here have rolled posters from the '70s, and some even from the '60s, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone here has a rolled poster from the '50s or even earlier!

Okay, fine, some of you are magic and have found ways to travel back in time and shoot the printing machine operator before the posters are folded.
GENERALLY, a rolled poster from before the mid-eighties is very uncommon to non-existant.

DreamWarrior

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2011, 08:12:12 PM »
I don't really expect to be able to do that, I was being a smart ass. Most of the posters I want are from the 70's, 80's, and later. Maybe a nice Last Man On Earth (1964) would be the earliest. I guess we'll see how my search goes.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2011, 08:13:54 PM »
I don't really expect to be able to do that, I was being a smart ass. Most of the posters I want are from the 70's, 80's, and later. Maybe a nice Last Man On Earth (1964) would be the earliest.

So what you're saying is you are not capable of time travel? Perfect. It's the general opinion that time-sniping posters hurts the posterity of vintage posters because bringing them back to the future with you effectively only makes them a few minutes old, therefore compromising its vintage appeal.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2011, 08:25:27 PM »
For the love of God, please don't pay 10 times the value for ANY movie poster or anything else for that matter. I've bought 99% of all of my posters from Ebay, and I've been collecting since 2003. Just do plenty of research before you buy anything. Good luck.

YES!

Some more newbie to newbie advice!

1) Use google! I MEAN USE IT! You can listen to people but do not really trust anybody as many are beholden to others and some appear that they may have axes to grind.

2) Search this site and the one I am linking. Go to it and search it. You will find out things about supposed  " good" sellers.

http://stylec.yuku.com/forums/63/t/Movie-Poster-Discussion.html

3) If you must over pay for a poster at least use sellers like Posteritati who only sell originals and not creeps who have on numerous occasions " accidentally " attempted to screw us.

DreamWarrior

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2011, 08:26:51 PM »
So what you're saying is you are not capable of time travel? Perfect. It's the general opinion that time-sniping posters hurts the posterity of vintage posters because bringing them back to the future with you effectively only makes them a few minutes old, therefore compromising its vintage appeal.
Forget all the other movies with time travel, Terminator rules are the real deal. You can only go back in time. It's like a one way street with a semi behind you. Sure I could go back to the right time to accomplish said mission, but waiting decades for a perfect poster collection is not worth it

DreamWarrior

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2011, 08:30:13 PM »
YES!

Some more newbie to newbie advice!

1) Use google! I MEAN USE IT! You can listen to people but do not really trust anybody as many are beholden to others and some appear that they may have axes to grind.

2) Search this site and the one I am linking. Go to it and search it. You will find out things about supposed  " good" sellers.

http://stylec.yuku.com/forums/63/t/Movie-Poster-Discussion.html

3) If you must over pay for a poster at least use sellers like Posteritati who only sell originals and not creeps who have on numerous occasions " accidentally " attempted to screw us.

I have been googling shit, there is just so much info it is overwhelming. At some point I am going to have to trust a few people or I will never end up with a poster. And I am pretty sure I heard some bad stuff about Posteritati on this forum, soooo yeah.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2011, 08:31:23 PM »
...but waiting decades for a perfect poster collection is not worth it.

Buy a whole collection now - WHAM! SORTED! ;D
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2011, 08:32:52 PM »
God Bless you dude! I know exactly where you are !

Good luck !!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Oh ya and My advice was for all fellow newbs  ;) 8)

DreamWarrior

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2011, 09:14:35 PM »
Buy a whole collection now - WHAM! SORTED! ;D
I hadn't thought of that. :-*

DreamWarrior

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2011, 09:16:53 PM »
God Bless you dude! I know exactly where you are !

Good luck !!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Oh ya and My advice was for all fellow newbs  ;) 8)
I am open to any advice. I know it doesn't mean much, but your post count indicates you are much less of a newb than I. Then again maybe your just a troll. ;)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2011, 09:19:33 PM »
Then again maybe your just a troll. ;)

Bingo!  ;D

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2011, 09:20:27 PM »

;D
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2011, 09:22:08 PM »
Another site worth looking through (not the easiest to navigate but you'll figure it out)

http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/
Chris

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2011, 10:38:15 PM »
I would also like to add that creating a poster wish list is very helpful. Do you have one?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2011, 10:44:05 PM »

If fold lines dont bother you on a poster you might buy that is from the early 80s or before (and the poster is in otherwise great shape), there would be NO need to back it. And if it rather beat up, more than likely, another will come around, so you could wait it out.

One other point, backing a poster and restoring a poster are 2 different things. If a poster is very brittle, old, splitting at cross folds and, in general, is falling apart, then backing (linen or paper) alone could be done as a conservation measure, to stabilize the poster itself.

Restoration would be just that-- restoring missing areas of paper, inpainting, airbrushing or re-creating trimmed borders, or even re-creating sections of the poster that are missing.

Many do both, to create a poster that looks almost new. I am of the thinking that less is more.

My 2¢ ..   ;)

Jeff

-Jeff

DreamWarrior

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2011, 11:41:47 PM »
I would also like to add that creating a poster wish list is very helpful. Do you have one?
Indeed I do. The Exorcist, Nightmare on Elm Street(1&3), Halloween (1&2), Hellraiser(1,2,3,6), Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday the 13th (1&6), The Thing, House, They Live, Lost Boys, Scream, Fright Night, Silver Bullet, Wishmaster, House of 1000 Corpses, Devil's Rejects, Tremors, JC's Vampires, Alien(s), Predator (1&2), IT, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness, Jaws, Last Man On Earth, Omega Man, The Hitcher, Silence of the Lambs, Killer Klowns From Outer Space, Brainscan, Pet Cemetary. Those are off the top of my head and now I'll write them down.

DreamWarrior

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2011, 11:49:27 PM »
After looking at this thread I decided to check the dude's ebay sales out.http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,1017.0.html

Unless new unsavory things have come to light, I am seriously looking a a number of his posters. Many of them are on my list and are listed as original rolled. By looking at the pictures I would say they are rolled, and according to Mel's experience they are the real deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hellraiser-1987-movie-poster-/360359889100?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e71f88cc  

http://cgi.ebay.com/Thing-1982-movie-poster-/360359891558?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e71f9266
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 11:59:51 PM by DreamWarrior »

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2011, 11:57:45 PM »
After looking at this thread I decided to check the dude's ebay sales out.http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,1017.0.html

Unless new unsavory things have come to light, I am seriously looking a a number of his posters. Many of them are on my list and are listed as original rolled. By looking at the pictures I would say they are rolled, and according to Mel's experience they are the real deal.

I've had a number of purchases from this seller. I've never been disappointed. It's nothing to be wow'd about, I mean, it's not like Bruce (eMovie) or the kind of guys you get to know around here. But for a casual buy from an eBay seller who's name you won't remember, it's a simple enough experience.

Whenever I buy from somebody I haven't bought from before I always send them a message saying to package the poster carefully. Seeing as how I don't recall any problems in regards to this seller, I imagine they followed through.