Author Topic: Newb looking to buy first poster. Need help  (Read 53923 times)

DreamWarrior

Newb looking to buy first poster. Need help
« on: April 15, 2011, 04:02:44 PM »
First of all I am looking at some posters at cinemasterpieces.com and would like to know if I can trust them. I did some research and they seem to be legit, but have high prices. If there are better sites that for sure sell true originals at good prices, any experience would be good to hear about. I am very nervous about getting ripped off with a fake. Does a CAO have any signifigance(can they just be made by a phony seller)? Are there any trustworthy dealers that specialize in horror? I know I'm asking a bunch of questions and any help would be greatly appreciated. Be gentle. :)

I am specifically looking at the first Halloween 2 poster shown on this page
http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/cine_H.htm  Description:US 1 One Sheet Original Movie Poster 27" x 41" ROLLED NEVER FOLDED - UNUSED NM-M C9-C10  $395.00     Unused!! Rolled, never folded. Well preserved. We only have ONE of these!!

Also the third Hellraiser poster down. Description: HELLRAISER 1987  CLIVE BARKER
US One Sheet Original Movie Poster 27x41 Linen Backed Ready for Framing  NM C9  $555.00 

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
Re: Newb looking to buy first poster. Need help
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 04:05:10 PM »
Does a CAO have any signifigance(can they just be made by a phony seller)

NO & YES.

welcome to the forum, dave is A OK... you should check out the sellers section my friend, very helpful...

DreamWarrior

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 04:24:50 PM »
Thanks, I will.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 04:28:11 PM »
First of all, welcome to the forum.
Second of all, you can 100% trust Cinemasterpieces for a high quality and well packaged product. His website is like a museum, with posters you sometimes can't find anywhere else. However, Cinemasterpieces is the most expensive retail website you will possibly find on the internet. His posters are typically listed for 5-10 times what they're actually worth. Many people (including myself) on this forum will tell you he's an excellent resource, but unless you're an uninformed millionaire, you can do much better for your dollar.

I'm going to send you a Private Message with my entire list of retail websites. There are many movie poster websites, and then there's eBay. This forum will be your most powerful tool in your collecting adventures, so ask a lot of questions and make a lot of friends!

Bruce

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 04:49:07 PM »
"my entire list of retail websites. There are many movie poster websites, and then there's eBay"

I think you are forgetting something, an auction website (not retail) where more vintage movie posters are auctioned every week, than at any other website!

Bruce

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 04:49:54 PM »
"my entire list of retail websites. There are many movie poster websites, and then there's eBay"

I think you are forgetting something, an auction website (not retail) where more vintage movie posters are auctioned every week, than at any other website!

Bruce

You think I'd forget you, Bruce?
I starred eMovie on the list and recommended he "sign up immediately".

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 04:50:15 PM »
Welcome DreamWarrior.

Yep, Cinemasterpieces (Dave) is a great dealer.  Extremely expensive, but all original.  So if money is not an issue, go for it, what you see is what you get.

As far as other sites, I'll let people chime in since I pretty much only buy on Ebay (and at Bruce's).

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 04:57:39 PM »
It's also worth noting that, unless the poster is very old (50 years+), a linenbacked product is generally looked down on. I personally would always look for an untampered version. Different people have different feelings about this, but it seems to be the general opinion that a linenbacked poster loses a lot of its collectible appeal. Unless of course it was extremely damaged or extremely old.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 04:58:41 PM »
You were wise to inquire before dropping that kind of $ for these titles there. With patience, due diligence and research, you should be able to find those 2 posters at better prices. In addition, unless it is of extreme personal importance or desire, i wouldn't suggest buying a linen backed HELLRAISER 3 poster.  That will only add to the overall purchase price.  :)

-Jeff

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 04:58:45 PM »
It's also worth noting that, unless the poster is very old (50 years+), a linenbacked product is generally looked down on. I personally would always look for an untampered version. Different people have different feelings about this, but it seems to be the general opinion that a linenbacked poster loses a lot of its collectible appeal. Unless of course it was extremely damaged or extremely old.

oooooooooo  wow1 gun1 gun1 gun1

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 05:00:25 PM »
And the other standard piece of advice.  Have Patience.

Both of those posters will come up periodically on the auction sites for a lot less.  Sit back and wait.

Do your homework.  Bruce's sales database is an excellent source of auction prices as well as an image database:  http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archive.html

For example, looking at the halloween II One Sheet (I assume you mean the 1981 original and not the horrible remake), you will see that 13 have sold in 2010-11 for prices ranging from $20 to $60.
-Jay-

Bruce

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 05:10:33 PM »
"You think I'd forget you, Bruce?"

Thanks, Dish!

DreamWarrior

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 05:13:27 PM »
Thank you all! I came to the right place. I look forward to being here a long time.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 05:14:30 PM »
"You think I'd forget you, Bruce?"

Thanks, Dish!

My name's Anthony. I don't mind Disheveled or variants but everyone knows everyone's name and I JUST WANT TO FIT IN. :'(

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 05:18:37 PM »

oooooooooo  wow1 gun1 gun1 gun1

What's your problem, Jon?  I would actually agree with Anthony.  Not so much on the amount of years, but on the general feel about linenbacked posters.  If the poster is rare, and years would go by before I can get another one, then I'd go for a linenbacked version.  But truth be told, a lot of linenbacked posters are not that hard to find and make you wonder why they were linenbacked in the first place.  I personally stay clear of linenbacked posters, because I know I will eventually find a nice folded version (and I like folds on my posters :)).

But I'm also having Dario linenback my Italian Suspiria because it is damaged and I have not seen another one on the market for quite some time.  So the chances that I could replace it with a better one are extremely slim.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 05:19:53 PM »
My name's Anthony. I don't mind Disheveled or variants but everyone knows everyone's name and I JUST WANT TO FIT IN. :'(

;)

-Jeff

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 05:23:30 PM »
For the love of God, please don't pay 10 times the value for ANY movie poster or anything else for that matter. I've bought 99% of all of my posters from Ebay, and I've been collecting since 2003. Just do plenty of research before you buy anything. Good luck.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 05:24:35 PM »
For the love of God, please don't pay 10 times the value for ANY movie poster or anything else for that matter. I've bought 99% of all of my posters from Ebay, and I've been collecting since 2003. Just do plenty of research before you buy anything. Good luck.

Yeah. This can't be stressed enough.

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 05:31:31 PM »
What's your problem, Jon?  

nothing mate, im with you on the backed posters debate, im just saying im not to sure we should tell a newbie that its looked down upon amongst collectors, when its actually down to personal preference..??

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 05:35:01 PM »
And, with Ebay.. also read seller's feedback and check the forums like these for discussions on those sellers that often sell fakes or reproductions. A few ebay sellers that have been talked about on this board, are: tloceposters, bradburied and movieposterbargains

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 12:22:24 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 05:37:44 PM »

Nicely said.
My Personal Collection

Bruce

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 05:40:49 PM »
Hey Anthony. I have liked your posts and your enthusiasm. If you sign your posts (or put your name in your signature) it is easier for people to remember it.

Thierry has the right idea on linenbacking. If you can find any poster you want unbacked and in good shape do so. If you can only find it backed, consider getting it. And if you can only find it unbacked and in bad condition, make sure you realize how much it will cost to get it backed.

And take some time to find that unbacked one at the right price. A big part of the hobby is the thrill of the hunt. You should only "pay up" when an item is uber rare.

Bruce

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 05:42:22 PM »
nothing mate, im with you on the backed posters debate, im just saying im not to sure we should tell a newbie that its looked down upon amongst collectors, when its actually down to personal preference..??

+1 Jon.

That kind of blanket statement is not true. Same goes with the comment about a poster losing A LOT of it's collectible appeal. This also, as a broad stroke, cannot be said. It is personal preference and depends on the poster, and it's condition. (aside from those annoying fold lines -- and, yes, I jest here --  wynk).

Jeff
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 05:59:38 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 05:48:44 PM »
Plus, linenbacked posters take a lot of room.  If all my posters were linenbacked... I wouldn't have a house to live in.  But folded... they all fit in the garage :)

T
My Personal Collection

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 05:50:37 PM »
RE Linen backing

Linen backing is not looked down upon, IMO, and from what I have read and from those I have spoken to about it (in person/over the net), linen backing is accepted when preservation is required, whether it be a poster from 1961 or 1981 (anything after the '80s should not be linen backed IMO). Also, like T, if you have a very rare poster and you think it deserves preserving for the reasons T stated, then linen backing is fine.
Best wishes,
Adam