Author Topic: My Zany Home Framed Collection  (Read 147565 times)

Charlie

Re: My Zany Home Framed Collection
« Reply #550 on: February 25, 2014, 09:14:17 AM »
 thumbup

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #551 on: February 25, 2014, 05:31:03 PM »
cool1

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #552 on: February 25, 2014, 10:47:36 PM »
  thumbup

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #553 on: March 22, 2014, 02:43:04 PM »
Middle-aged and mild-mannered man seeks Young And Wild one sheet:

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #554 on: April 24, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »
One of my goofball colleagues snapped this shot of the famous five star attorney/poster collector at work today:

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #555 on: April 24, 2014, 10:52:02 PM »
The University of ... ??
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #556 on: April 25, 2014, 08:09:56 PM »
I thought I was being a bit extreme by putting up eight posters in my office but I'm working with an attorney at the Department of Justice who has 50+ of her own paintings displayed in her office (and in the nearby hall and conference rooms).  They're quite good by the way....

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #557 on: April 25, 2014, 10:20:50 PM »
The University of ... ??

Phoenix Online

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #558 on: April 26, 2014, 12:07:44 AM »
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #559 on: April 26, 2014, 07:37:27 PM »
The University of ... ??

The University of Mr. Thomas Jefferson

Is she self taught? Snap a pic of her "gallery wall..."

Can't find the pics right now, will try to find them or take some new ones.  They cover her enitre office "Mel style."
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 07:44:32 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #560 on: April 26, 2014, 08:50:37 PM »
Not a Star Wars fan but that is a sweet collection and all on display. Plus you have the cool Empire Strikes Back.

Gotta ask how tall you are standing next to those big posters.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #561 on: April 26, 2014, 08:57:54 PM »
Not a Star Wars fan but that is a sweet collection and all on display. Plus you have the cool Empire Strikes Back.

Gotta ask how tall you are standing next to those big posters.

Surely you have not forgotten this thread:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,1696.0.html

But to answer your Q directly, I am 5'11" (71") barefoot w/o inflation. The frames are 86" tall.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 09:00:26 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #562 on: April 26, 2014, 09:10:52 PM »
Another perspective from nerd control center:

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #563 on: April 27, 2014, 12:51:55 AM »
Yeah I will give it to you Mel.  Those 3 sheets look impressive all framed up (even if they cannot be hung)
Chris

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #564 on: April 27, 2014, 09:39:36 AM »
You want a toe?

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 09:43:38 AM by Charlie »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #565 on: May 17, 2014, 07:22:16 PM »
Jaime Mendez did a good job restoring this 1945 Ziegfeld Follies, which was looking pretty rough after 69 years (the below photo is not color saturated BTW):

Before (it actually looked a bit rougher in person):

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 07:26:25 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

boxofficebrian

« Reply #566 on: May 17, 2014, 07:40:59 PM »
Mel- that is one gorgeous piece of paper! Looks great!

guest4955

« Reply #567 on: June 01, 2017, 11:30:17 AM »
From August 2009 to October 2014 I photographed my rotating MP frame collection in Wash DC. I had 70(!) frames in that "zany" place!

If you want to be a poster nerd, you can peruse all 779 pics here:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/MoviePosterCollectors/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1936000636683870

But don't you have better things to do, like trying to get laid, ha-ha!

Anyways, I perused these photos for the first time in three years and picked out 38 faves:

My three sheet frames rocked! I lost them in the move to Charlotte, got to get another!

Pretty clever photo IMHO:

On permanent display:

Only freaks put posters in bathrooms!

I decorated my entire apt. with horror posters for Halloween:

Moi:

I spent hundreds of hours trying to find the Canadian LAC (upper left):

I printed this one:

The rare-as-hell int. Lebowski - Charlie interviewed its designer here:

http://abideposters.com/bestontitle/Big_Lebowski/03152012_Cassie_Anderson.pdf

A great S2:

Great but very violent imagery, not usually my style:

Risque!

Lucky Strike!

Funny!

I have a page on MPC.guide devoted to Barbarella:

http://www.moviepostercollectors.guide/MPC_Showcase_Barbarella.html

The great Black Swan posters!

NSFW:

Great photo here with a great story about the statue::

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_Girl
http://www.gardencentermag.com/article/garden-center-0211-bird-girl-judson/

Sold this Mondo PotO before it exploded in value:

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #568 on: June 01, 2017, 02:58:13 PM »
Omg, I forgot how much stuff you had up.  This feels like it belongs to a distant moment in time, we were all much younger back then... :). I feel like I actually had a few posters up myself, vs a single one today.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #569 on: June 01, 2017, 04:13:13 PM »
Holy mackerel.  Are you planning on making your new place a similar style?

On the LA Confidential, you said you searched hundreds of hours.  Was it an obscure source that you eventually found it from?

guest4955

« Reply #570 on: June 01, 2017, 10:18:39 PM »
Holy mackerel.  Are you planning on making your new place a similar style?

On the LA Confidential, you said you searched hundreds of hours.  Was it an obscure source that you eventually found it from?

Yep I searched endlessly for that poster on Canada eBay and every else I could think of.

One day it popped up in the US international section of eBay. The seller said she found it an LA poster dealer shop. I made an off-eBay deal for $600. When I was forced to consign my collection it sold for $3100, one of the few times I made a big profit on a poster.

A few others popped up afterwards and Bruce posted the following info:

Important Added Info: Note that this rare poster (which measures 27" x 40" [69 x 102 cm]) has been shrouded in mystery since it first surfaced in the hobby several years ago! It was first seen in the collection of a well known Canadian collector/dealer/researcher who received the poster in 1998 from a theater he was connected to, when the movie was being re-released, and he surmised that it had been created for that 1998 re-release (possibly to capitalize on the many Oscar nominations it had received), but he noted that it had a 1997 copyright, and he could not explain why. It was not until 2013 that we learned much more about this poster! A different example of this poster was consigned to us by a former Warner Bros. executive who received samples of many alternate styles of one-sheets, some of which were apparently never distributed to theaters. The executive received this poster at the same time as the regular 1997 poster, so we think it was surely created at that same time. Perhaps some of them WERE distributed to some theaters in 1998 at the time of the Oscar nominations (perhaps only ones outside the U.S., including the one in Canada, where the first one surfaced, and that makes sense, because the poster has no ratings, which would indicate it is an international one-sheet), but that does not change that it is a 1997 poster! Since that time, we have auctioned four more examples of the poster (although it is possible that we were re-consigned previously sold ones). Now we are auctioning this poster for a seventh time (but again, it is unclear whether one or more of those seven were re-consigned, so we don't know how many of the posters are currently known to exist). The poster we are currently auctioning was consigned to us by a couple who ran a movie theater when this movie was being shown, and after showing the movies, they saved several posters that they especially liked, and this poster was one of them! So this poster comes to us directly from the theater that received it in 1997!

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #571 on: June 02, 2017, 01:01:24 AM »
WOW! Super nice collection. Sorry it had to leave your hands. I wonder if I have any of it? Probably not, but you never know. Where did you get those marvelous 3-sheet frames? I have (at least) one 3-sheet that i'd love to have framed. Thanks for sharing...
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

guest4955

« Reply #572 on: June 02, 2017, 02:14:08 AM »
WOW! Super nice collection. Sorry it had to leave your hands. I wonder if I have any of it? Probably not, but you never know. Where did you get those marvelous 3-sheet frames? I have (at least) one 3-sheet that i'd love to have framed. Thanks for sharing...

Spotlight Displays:

http://www.spotlightdisplays.com

See also my MPC.guide page on Framing:

http://moviepostercollectors.guide/Framing_%26_Displaying_%26_Storing.html

guest4955

« Reply #573 on: June 02, 2017, 02:35:13 AM »
Forgot to mention that a designer of the LAC sent me a mocked-up image:

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #574 on: June 02, 2017, 01:38:21 PM »
Yep I searched endlessly for that poster on Canada eBay and every else I could think of.

One day it popped up in the US international section of eBay. The seller said she found it an LA poster dealer shop. I made an off-eBay deal for $600. When I was forced to consign my collection it sold for $3100, one of the few times I made a big profit on a poster.

Nice hunting, and the big payout is pretty cool, although the hunt, itself, was probably about as rewarding.

Over the years, there were a few times I was intent to find a few rarities.  I made hundreds of phone calls until I finally found them, which was probably a combination of a variety of things.  I never made any $ from them, though, unfortunately.  Lawl.

Great writeup there from the eMovie team, and some interesting stories, also.