Author Topic: My Zany Home Framed Collection  (Read 147322 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: My Zany Home Framed Collection
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2010, 08:58:27 AM »
Outstanding, you crazy bastidge.  Your walls look better and better every time you change the posters out.
Love those 'blowtorch beauties."

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2010, 10:44:16 AM »
That Chariots of Fire looks great on the wall..........much better than where I had it.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2010, 11:55:24 PM »
I recognize that Clan!  She really is a beauty.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2010, 07:52:15 PM »
My apartment is like Heidi Montag's new boobs - TOO MUCH!

So what's up now are my favorites in each category (drama, superheroes, 60s/70s, romance, comedies, sci-fi, creative, artistic, beauties, etc.) that I'm collecting.  Ready to show off later this month in the "Apartment Tour":

« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 08:06:44 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2010, 08:56:21 PM »
Really, really nice, Mel.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2010, 10:16:41 PM »
Mel, you have to be nearly out of wall space by now!?

I wanted to ask (I am not sure if someone else has) but where do you get your one sheet frames from?
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2010, 07:22:52 AM »
Mel, you have to be nearly out of wall space by now!?

I wanted to ask (I am not sure if someone else has) but where do you get your one sheet frames from?

Yes, with 75 home frames (and five or so unframed hung posters) and 8 office frames, I've maxed out my wall space, which is great for my budget!  

1/3 Spotlight Displays, 1/3 Hollywood Poster Frames, 1/3 Michael's (that's a US art chain).

HPF is the highest quality, but takes 3-4 minutes to change posters.  Spotlights are easy flip frames but plexiglass is lower quality.  Michael's is lowest quality but cheapest.  

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2010, 11:38:15 AM »
Mel, do the Michael's frames have any archival qualities - i.e. acid free backing (foamcore or other), UV filter plexiglass, acid free matt (if used)?

We have Michael's branches here in Ontario, just wondering if they are worth checking out...
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2010, 03:38:36 PM »
Mel, do the Michael's frames have any archival qualities - i.e. acid free backing (foamcore or other), UV filter plexiglass, acid free matt (if used)?

We have Michael's branches here in Ontario, just wondering if they are worth checking out...

none of the above - $30 buys you plexiglass, pressed wood board and that's it

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2010, 04:51:44 PM »
Fair enough!

Thanks for your replies, regardless...
Chris

guest8

« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2010, 02:36:57 PM »
none of the above - $30 buys you plexiglass, pressed wood board and that's it

I get my smaller 24x36 and 18x24 frames from michaels too .. and I buy a 40x60 sheet of acid free foam core for like $12 and cut it up to replace the backings in all of my frames.. I can do like 2-3 frames with one piece so the overall price isnt that bad .. next would be the plexi and I talked to sue about that and a 24x36 UV sheet from her would be like $45 + shipping:(  If I could find a cheaper source for the plexi I think the Michaels frames would be great.. I kind of like the rear loading style even if its not quite the quality as Sue's frames

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2010, 03:23:52 PM »
Fallenangel,

The problem is that most standard "real" posters are not sized 24x36 or 18x24.  Michael's does carry a 27x40 for a reasonable price.  Did you get your foamcore at Michael's as well?  If so, how much is it approximately for a 40x60 sheet?
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2010, 04:37:07 PM »
You Only Live Twice Style C came in, although much more damaged (spray painting) in the back than I anticipated and some of it bleeds through to the front along the fold lines.  However, the front overall still looks good, so I may keep it.  I've got 14 days to decide.

guest8

« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2010, 04:50:42 PM »
Fallenangel,

The problem is that most standard "real" posters are not sized 24x36 or 18x24.  Michael's does carry a 27x40 for a reasonable price.  Did you get your foamcore at Michael's as well?  If so, how much is it approximately for a 40x60 sheet?

Thats true on the size .. When I get to 1S or Quad sizes I just go to Sue at Hollywood for the quality you cant really beat the price .. Yes I do get the foam core from Michaels .. Its iffy if they will sell it to me though depending on whos working the frame station Ive been told they arent allowed to sell a 40x60 sheet but most others will without question. I just go up and ask for  a 40x60 sheet of their acid free foam core and typically everything is kosher :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2010, 09:18:02 PM »
I wish someone would convince Sue to ship to her northern neighbours :(

I've tried and she won't budge.  Maybe with good reason...

Thanks for the tip on the Michael's foamcore - I have a one sheet I am looking to frame on a budget but archivally (kind of an oxymoron I know)
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2010, 09:56:36 PM »
So we had the Apartment Tour today and about 40-50 apartment residents came by to check out my place.   It was fun - mostly got compliments - "this place is fantastic!" One woman stuck around for 20 minutes and took pics of the whole place.  Of course, they were probably thinking "this guy's a total wacko"!  

Not a single one had a clue about movie poster collecting, so I gave 15 "mini-lectures" on the hobby during the two hour visitation period.  By far the most common question: "Where did you get these?"

The other 10 apartments on the tour were totally different - expensively & professionally decorated and mine was picked to "attract the younger crowd."  (Most of the residents here are retirees or embassy employees.)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2010, 10:42:03 PM »
Fun stuff, Mel. Do you have them all organized by themes or are they just put up on a whim?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2010, 10:58:32 PM »
What is the idea behind an "Apartment Tour". I'd like to see more of their face expressions!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2010, 11:12:30 PM »
It's to generate "community spirit" and funding for the Tenant Association.

I did have it organized by themes, action/sci-fi/etc.  See the photos from earlier this month.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2010, 11:14:34 PM »
What is the idea behind an "Apartment Tour". I'd like to see more of their face expressions!

Me too... I want to see the look of panic on their faces when they realise you are quite insane  :P

On a serious note. Where did you get the frame for the Grease poster above the bed? I now have a few bigs and I would like to frame and hang at least one of them before I pass on to the next life.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2010, 12:21:57 AM »
Too bad there were no posters from the 40s/50s those fine ladies could have enjoyed ;)
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2010, 12:31:54 PM »
Too bad there were no posters from the 40s/50s those fine ladies could have enjoyed ;)

I can't help my plebian low-class tastes.   I don't think those fine ladies would enjoy my next Thierry hates "French Grande" poster that is going up on the wall - on the way from France as we speak:

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2010, 02:04:02 PM »
Nice, Mel.  That is one of my favorite Dracula posters. 
He shoots....he scores...

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2010, 11:44:26 AM »
That's a beautiful poster.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2010, 07:51:04 PM »
seen the movie Mel?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!