Author Topic: Animation Posters!  (Read 74066 times)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Animation Posters!
« on: April 07, 2011, 02:24:10 AM »
So this thread is really for Anthony (Amethyst).  And because I have a few myself, and realized there is not a thread dedicated solely to posters for animated films.  There is a Disney thread, but this one is intended to not be restrictive within the genre.  Any animation posters are welcome!  And to start, here are a few.

The first two would get my vote for best animated posters in the past 15 years (as was brought up in another thread).

And then this one, which I used to watch as a kid.

I know there are some folks out there with some rockin' animation posters (Paul, you gotta have some buried quads), so lets see them.

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Disheveledamethyst

Re: Animation Posters!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 11:34:16 AM »
Nice, right up my alley! Did anybody see Secret of Kells in 2009? They're not striking but they're at least more impressive than the "Group Photo" of the characters we see a lot in American animated movies.

And we can't talk about animated movie postes without talking about John Alvin. His Renaissance Disney posters are some of the finest posters for animated movies you'll ever see. They're so... classy. John Alvin really took advantage of the portrait orientation of one sheets and had such a great sense of vertical depth. You can always recognize a John Alvin poster, even the lousy ones, the format is unmistakable. These five are my favorite.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:52:29 AM »
I THINK, from memory, this is the only one in my personal collection.

I loved the poster, then I spotted its my Birthday (Aug 6), so decided to get one, then finally saw the film, was scared because if O didn't ;ike it (not unusual for me with Animated films) I wouldn't want the poster. But luckily I really enjoyed it.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 12:02:03 PM »
I do have a few Schan, but mostly older, and Disney.... I post some anyway.

EDIT:- These are the only one's I have on my Computer, I take some shortly and post.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:13:24 PM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 12:29:58 PM »
Classic posters fellas.  The Perfect Blue is a beaut.  Good description of John Alvin's work, Anthony.  It would be difficult to make a nicer one than that The Little Mermaid, that's gotta the best I've seen.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 04:18:21 PM »
And we can't talk about animated movie postes without talking about John Alvin. His Renaissance Disney posters are some of the finest posters for animated movies you'll ever see. They're so... classy. John Alvin really took advantage of the portrait orientation of one sheets and had such a great sense of vertical depth. You can always recognize a John Alvin poster, even the lousy ones, the format is unmistakable. These five are my favorite.

I agree with you.  Alvin's art really captures the essence of Disney more than any other I have seen.  I wonder what he could have done as an animator.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 04:36:08 PM »
I THINK, from memory, this is the only one in my personal collection.

I loved the poster, then I spotted its my Birthday (Aug 6), so decided to get one, then finally saw the film, was scared because if O didn't ;ike it (not unusual for me with Animated films) I wouldn't want the poster. But luckily I really enjoyed it.

I always forget about The Iron Giant! I have this poster, and love this movie. Not only is it easily in my Top 10 (Top 5?) animated movies, but it's also the only animated movie in my Top 10 Movies overall. That movie is a masterpiece. I own a production sketch signed by director Brad Bird, it's framed up on my wall.

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 05:44:54 PM »
Here are some of mine.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 05:54:41 PM »
Those Alvin posters are great... as well as the last two CJ posted.  Love them, even though I have no idea what they are.

My collection is composed of newer posters: MY ANIMATION COLLECTION.  Plus, since my wife is an FX artist at DreamWorks Animation, I get a lot of their stuff.  But I've recently decided to get older pieces, which I'll try to post periodically.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 05:57:43 PM »
Very nice CJ.  Ghibli posters are great, without exception.  I will post a couple of more when I get back to my room in a while.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 01:40:30 AM »
a couple more Ghibli

Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 02:17:06 AM »
What's Ghibli?  Even my wife doesn't know, and she's worked in animation for 10 years.

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 02:21:22 AM »
Studio Ghibli is the Japanese anime house responsible for Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies, Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, etc.  Its founders Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Ghibli
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 02:43:09 AM »
Cool posters on this thread! I love Paul's Pinocchio quad and Donald nailing Adolf in the face with a tomato!

Cj, those Ghibli posters are great, they look so crisp, almost like cells! I have a few animation posters, but my personal fave is prob the Totoro B1, mainly because I really love the film (thanks again Cj :))

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 09:05:18 AM »
What's Ghibli?  Even my wife doesn't know, and she's worked in animation for 10 years.

I don't even LIKE most Studio Ghibli, and you've never heard of Hayao Miyazaki??

EDIT: Well, not true, I just haven't seen a lot of it. But Hayao Miyazaki is a super-human animator.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 01:57:38 PM »
I don't think I have much in the way of what you guys are looking for, but...

Well I warned you... ;)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 02:11:21 PM »
I don't even LIKE most Studio Ghibli, and you've never heard of Hayao Miyazaki??

EDIT: Well, not true, I just haven't seen a lot of it. But Hayao Miyazaki is a super-human animator.

I know of Miyasaki.  I've never seen any of his movies, but I know of him (not a big anime fan).  It's quite interesting, though.  I asked 3 DreamWorks animators if they knew of Ghibi, and they didn't.  I asked a buddy of mine at Pixar, and he only knew of it because Disney has distributed some of their movies.  Animation is such a small world, yet they don't even know of each other...

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 02:18:17 PM »

Well I warned you... ;)

Paul... absolute  sm1 ...

They just dont make 'em like they used to. These are all a tour de force!

-Jeff

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 02:27:08 PM »

Well I warned you... ;)

Really nice Paul.. cool1

Stew

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 03:39:19 PM »
I know of Miyasaki.  I've never seen any of his movies, but I know of him (not a big anime fan).  It's quite interesting, though.  I asked 3 DreamWorks animators if they knew of Ghibi, and they didn't.  I asked a buddy of mine at Pixar, and he only knew of it because Disney has distributed some of their movies.  Animation is such a small world, yet they don't even know of each other...

T

I find that interesting as well. Totoro was in Toy Story 3 (from Studio Ghibli's trademark picture "My Neighbor Totoro") because Mr. Lasseter is such a big fan and it was supposedly to signify the strong connection between the two studios.

Studio Ghibli has won/been nominated for Best Animated Feature several times as well.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 03:40:12 PM »

Well I warned you... ;)

Marry me. Please.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 04:27:33 PM »
The Studio Ghibli films are amongst not only the best animated films, but should also be included in discussions re: best films ever made, period.

The posters are incredible, too.

Thierry, I am completely shocked you and your wife haven't heard of Ghibli.  Go ask folks in Pixar about it...they will be more than familiar with Miyazaki's work.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 04:50:05 PM »

Studio Ghibli has won/been nominated for Best Animated Feature several times as well.

Their film, SPIRITED AWAY, won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, in 2003. It was up against Ice Age, Lilo and Stitch, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, and Treasure Planet.

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 04:59:41 PM »
Is this sort of thing included...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 05:05:22 PM »
Thierry, I am completely shocked you and your wife haven't heard of Ghibli.  Go ask folks in Pixar about it...they will be more than familiar with Miyazaki's work.

I think everybody at studios heard of Miyazaki, but not of Studio Ghibli.  Like I said, I asked 4 animators, 3 at DWA and 1 at Pixar, and only the Pixar guy knew.  I have never seen a Miyazaki movie, I actually own 2 or 3 DVDs that I got for free, but I've never seen them.  I will try to check them out at some point, even though Animes are not really my thing.  The posters are great, though.  I'll admit to that.

T
My Personal Collection