Author Topic: Best SNIPES!  (Read 34923 times)

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
Re: Best SNIPES!
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2012, 02:55:58 PM »
I almost didn't buy this poster because of the snipe that spoils the artwork some what, but I came to my senses. Luckily I did buy it, as it's the only one I've ever seen...  And I have that piece of Cinema history that goes with the poster.

Great poster! As usual, you did good Paul.

I think UK is the only place were snipes were used to transform the poster in a double bill, right?
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2012, 07:50:35 PM »
Many times they have done that Matias...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2012, 08:53:36 PM »
I hate snipes, stickers, stamps, chastity belts....

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2012, 08:57:32 PM »
I love all the above...... And I'm great at picking locks, and a bit of a challenge before hand makes it all the more special... wynk

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2012, 10:44:08 PM »
Id like a collection of snipes, I remember dario had a number.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Bruce

« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2013, 07:46:41 PM »
No, that specific theater was just showing Bride, which is why they sniped it that way.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2015, 06:54:23 PM »
heres a title change snipe on an Italian 4 Foglio (Living Dead at Manchester Morgue - one of the BEST Zombie movies if you haven't sen it)

Ari, this is a one very cool looking poster!  thumbsup.gif

And the added snipe is almost not noticeable.

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2015, 06:56:22 PM »
yeah, its hard to know what title to choose.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2016, 10:53:42 PM »
Snipes or not?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2016, 12:17:24 AM »
Vick, what is that poster for? Looks like titles for a possible serial?

Neat to see them all lined up and listed like that.

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2016, 01:24:59 AM »
not snipes. an all-day showing for the entire serial of Royal Mounted Rides Again on the 14th week after the serial has been shown for 13 weeks
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 01:30:09 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2016, 07:07:24 AM »
Interesting Rich, is this for sure?  According to EMP ..."they made a generic one-sheet and then they also sent this set of 13 snipes (printed together on a single one-sheet), and the theater could cut out the snipe for each chapter, and put it at the bottom of the generic one-sheet each week!"

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2016, 08:36:29 AM »
^ This sounds more logical to me.

P.S. If Rich is incorrect, Rich won't say such... with Bruce in the equation, there's no hope of saying such

That poster would not encourage me to see it as it looks too stressful. If the poster was made to advertise the full length feature, I would have thunk the name of the movie would be on it  :P

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2016, 12:02:11 PM »
I must say I'm with Steve on this, it does sound more logical..

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2016, 12:30:48 PM »
So grab a straight edge and an Exacto knife and you are ready to go!

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2016, 12:44:20 PM »
Interesting Rich, is this for sure?  According to EMP ..."they made a generic one-sheet and then they also sent this set of 13 snipes (printed together on a single one-sheet), and the theater could cut out the snipe for each chapter, and put it at the bottom of the generic one-sheet each week!"

unlikey. That would mean you also got all 13 chapter posters at one time, and that didn't happen.

also, if you look at snipes that are on serial posters, they were clearly printed as singles and frequently not as wide as the full one sheet

and Steve.. It would not be a feature version, it would be all 13 chapters, one after the other.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2016, 12:59:52 PM »
It's interesting, too, to see the couple different font styles that were used on that piece.

And Vick, it would be a perfect add, here, too:!  :D

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,2036.0.html

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2016, 06:33:40 PM »
and Steve.. It would not be a feature version, it would be all 13 chapters, one after the other.

Regardless if the collection shown together is a feature or a collection of chapters, the Serial has a name such as

not snipes. an all-day showing for the entire serial of Royal Mounted Rides Again

So I would reckon a poster showing the entire set of chapters would show the name for the overall serial name "Royal Mounter Rides Again", rather than just showing a dogs breakfast of chapters in it.  Surely the name of the serial would be on the poster?!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2016, 02:19:46 PM »
I guess I can always email phil and see where emp got its info.   Me I was sold at "murder toboggan" my brother and I still talk about hitting 3 people going down a huge toboggan hill when we were kids... He bailed after the first collision for some reason I stayed on the slide all the way down, I got an adult's boot mark in the face I hit that guy so hard he flipped out me
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 02:22:44 PM by Crazy Vick »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2016, 01:00:28 AM »
Vick, I see your "snipe" poster is described as being for the 1951RR. Does the poster have a date or NSS number? I can see a small bit of text in the lower right corner, but cant zoom in enough to make it out clearly. I'm guessing that it might be a printer's name?  dontknow.gif
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 01:22:33 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2016, 02:45:27 PM »
Steve, you have a variety of issues defining this as a "snipes poster"

1) no such snipes layout has ever been seen and would be unlikely to be printed in such a manner, If they were going to prints snipes in such a sheet and cut them down (which would be cut at the printer) it would all be a single title.  Theatre owners would not have 13 weeks of posters delivered at once and in teh case of serial posters, they also weren't all printed at one time. One style is delivered at a time with the reel of film shown that week

2) we do indeed know that serials were shown complete, after the entire serial has been shown an episode each week. These showing took place  on Saturdays to fill the theatres with kids and would be followed by a feature film. We know this.

3) because the initial post did not mention where it sold, I had to go look (once it was mentioned where it was sold)
unfortunately, I can't see a gigantic image, but there is no text in the bottom area other than 51, so it isn't an NSS poster and very possibly is a locally printed poster.

anything else is pure conjecture.
His listing says "Apparently, when they re-released this serial in 1951, they made a generic one-sheet (which we have never seen before, nor have we ever seen anything from the 1951 re-release of this serial)"

well there is no re-issue of this title known to exist. The IMDB does not mention any reissues, so his definition description has no evidence to back his claims

we also know (by his own admissions in this thread: http://vintagemoviepostersforum.com/discussion/1649/the-adventures-of-robin-hood-australian-3-sheet/p10 ) that his database has THOUSANDS OF MISTAKES. That is in addition to his thousands of corrected (or more specifically, sanitized) mistakes. Who's to say this isn't another mistake, just like the Vacation 'teaser poster' that no proof was postulated by the claimant that it is a movie poster at all.
note: thousands of mistakes in this case= thousands of times that they sold a poster incorrectly described
note #2: is sanitizing his database for the hobby's benefit, or to cover his mistakes, so people think he doesn't make them?

in my world, when I have such a poster as this, where no identifiable data can with certainty show what this poster is, I don't offer it for sale until such a time as it can be properly identified. I have several items that defy identification in stock, and so they remain in a drawer or box until they can be. That's because I refuse to sell anything to anyone without being able to guarantee what it is and this item is so anomalous as to defy description. If I were to offer the poster, I would make no pontifications that it is "this or that". It is unidentifiable. Their mistake is giving it a definite description, without any proof it is anything like what they sold it as.

I say it's a poster to be displayed just as it is, probably next to a copy of the regular one sheet (chapter one, full serial poster), he thinks it's a poster of snipes, even though no such format has ever been seen before. He's just guessing, just like with that Vacation poster that he calls a teaser. I say that's a plain art poster, just like the Frazetta 'Gauntlet" poster.

you have to prove your points, if you're going to dispute what I'm saying.

You have to prove him right, before yu can prove me wrong.

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2016, 10:49:04 PM »
hmmm, not sure if it needed the "translated title" snipe.

What country is this OS from, Ari? I see it's all in English, but according to imdb ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082479/releaseinfo ), the movie wasnt released in the US with that title. (Aside from its US DVD release with the name Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper)

And I see too, its another Enzio Sciotti piece!

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2016, 11:57:19 PM »
Spanish from memory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2016, 12:23:03 AM »
Spanish from memory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

I found the one that EMP sold and described as Spanish - http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/11633355.html

The added actor's pix below the art, the title and distributor's logo were different, so I wasn't sure. Is there any text under the snipe on your copy?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 12:34:10 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2016, 04:45:03 AM »
Maybe it was a Spanish International/English?
I know Italy sometimes did this
An Error Has Occurred!