Author Topic: linen  (Read 17812 times)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Re: linen
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2011, 10:16:06 AM »
I am not a purist though.  I have purchased linenbacked posters and will continue to bid on them. 

This is where I am at. I much prefer em non backed but I love the seven I do have.

They do seem to sell when they are offered. Someone out there likes them.

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2011, 01:38:42 PM »
The odd thing here is, We all say that we prefer un-back posters. Yet Linen-backed one's always fetch more money.... Is there something we are not telling each other. ;D
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2011, 02:06:04 PM »
Maybe a high proportion of linen-backed posters are purchased by 'non-poster-collectors' who find them easier to handle than a flimsy piece of paper?  Maybe someone who is accustomed to purchasing, say, oil-paintings on canvas finds a linen-backed poster sits more comfortably with their collection?  In other words, maybe the reaction of members of this forum to the linen or non-linen debate would be different from that of many of the high-bidders at a Christie's auction - especially the newcomers to the poster purchasing arena?  No specific information to support these theories - just thinking out loud.

Best wishes,

Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2011, 02:48:44 PM »
To keep a poster from deteriorating, I think linen is fantastic.

To put linen on a poster that is rolled and basically doesn't need it seems frivolous and a waste of money, but different strokes for different folks.

To dismiss linen with a clean sweep of "LINEN SUCKS" seems a bit silly.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2011, 02:51:19 PM »
Seems to me the thinking years ago was that linen backing was the way to go and put a premium on a title, where as the newer collectors shun it and put a premium on unbacked posters.

I relate it to the comic market, not really a 1:1 compare, but... restoration was the end all be all for old beat up books for awhile, but no one wants a restored book now.

Massively rare pieces obviously are the exception.

tstatum

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2011, 03:01:02 PM »
I have no problem with linen.  But I've seen it on to many posters that "value wise" it makes no sense.  Or as has been said before on a post 80's poster.  Even worse are the 90's ds poster that have been backed, that just sends a red flag up for me.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2011, 03:43:41 PM »
To keep a poster from deteriorating, I think linen is fantastic.

To put linen on a poster that is rolled and basically doesn't need it seems frivolous and a waste of money, but different strokes for different folks.

To dismiss linen with a clean sweep of "LINEN SUCKS" seems a bit silly.

Indeed.

Ultimately, it is what an individual collector wants to do (referring to the backing of newer, folded posters), in trying to diminish or erase fold creases or lines. I am of the thought, too, that less is more. If a brittle, fragile poster can be saved thru conservative backing, then I am all for that. The alternative is ending up with a pile of dried, flaked paper, in many cases. That being said, (IMHO), i think that (even older) posters that are overpainted or made to look new is doing a disservice to that poster, when much of the art is buried beneath a thin layer of paint, in order to make it sparkle and shine.

Many want or desire this look, we all know that. Personally, the few posters I have had backed were left as is, with only the most minor of cross fold separation touch ups on one french panel, from the 1920s. I like to see the "life" a poster has lived, so small border nicks, chips etc don't really bother me. Same goes for an older poster whose 60-70 year old border may have tanned with age. I would prefer to leave it, rather than having it be given an airbrushed "face lift."

Jeff

-Jeff

SHOCKWAVE

« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2011, 12:00:05 AM »
i c thanx for the info im learing lots so backing hmmmm still no

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
I recently bought a poster that was backed "european style" - so no touch ups, the poster was simply backed as it was not in the greatest of shape. I guess the "american" way (?) means fixin' the poster so it looks like its original self.

So the euro backing process did "save" my poster (an old WW1 poster of course) and now it can be handled and displayed, but im sort of bummed out that it did not get some of the touch ups (e.g., washing etc) that really would have made it displayable in the end.  In fact, the backing almost makes the defects stand out even more if that makes any sense.

I've never had issues with "character defects" but I guess I am debating the whole euro vs american thing now...I've been wanting to get a poster euro-backed by a local restorer here, but I'm worried I might be dissapointed with the results and it will be too late by then.  Maybe I should suck it up and ask for the full restoration?

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2014, 10:30:47 AM »
#3 is unrestored and linenbacked

Isnt that considered "European style", Im curious how one would value or bid on that also?