Author Topic: linen  (Read 17661 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
linen
« on: March 29, 2011, 11:44:37 PM »
If I glued my poster to a tablecloth, would that be considered linen-backing?

It's sure as shit the same difference to me.  I just went through the first round of Bruce's mini/major and forgive me, but it's a bunch of posters that have been ruined by linen-backing when it was not needed.  Sure, if a wonderful poster has been significantly damaged by the elements, linen-backing is a great alternative to throwing it in the trash or otherwise losing it forever.  But unless the poster really needs work, its senseless to mount the damned thing. 

I know there are others out there who feel differently.  So, let this be the official linen versus non-linen thread.

Ok, I can breathe now...
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: linen
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 12:00:11 AM »
I agree to a point. I prefer unbacked every time. But there really are posters that need/benefit from it.
In fact I'm getting one done shortly, pics will be posted.

I have paid to have 2 done in my life. One was BEAST WITH A MILLION EYES US 1 Sheet, which Dario did.

It had a longish tear, and seeded some touch ups, and a good wash. It was an item I wanted to sell, and I think it paid off. Looked great afterwards, the buyer was very happy.

For my personal collection I don't get anything backed (except I did with the SHIP OF WANTED MEN as seen elsewhere), that was so brittle it fell apart just breathing near it. Now its rarin' to go (planning on framing it soon).

I don't think it ruins posters though, for a poster I want to display, if i could get it CHEAPER than an unbacked I might consider it. As part of my core collection, I'd prefer not, not just because I like the feel of paper, but they are just harder to store.

There was a trend years ago where it was all the rage, I remember on ebay Backed posters would sell for the cost of backing above the value of the poster at least, usually more. Then it seemed to switch and more people wanted to at least buy unbacked and get work done if needed/desired, which is the way to go.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 12:05:39 AM »
I will never buy a linenbacked poster unless 1) it is an ultra rare poster that cannot be found in any other shape or form and 2) I see it in person.  

I own 7 linenbacked posters, 2 I bought in France (large War of the Worlds and Gone With the Wind), 1 I had linenbacked because it needed it (large yellow French Lawrence of Arabia), 2 I bought from Dan R. because I didn't know better (One From the Heart and Silverado (both intl. versions)), 1 mistake (ET Moon style... in perfect condition before, again didn't know better) and 1 I just sent to Dario (Italian Suspiria) because I want to frame it.  And that's it.  I do not intend to buy or linenback anything else soon.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 12:09:17 AM »
I don't know why I feel this way, but the poster seem sullied after being backed.  Somehow, it's less than real.  It's not what was intended when it was originally released.

I agree that some need to be backed.  But, I've reached the point I won't buy anything that's been backed, unless it's an absolute rarity, and then only at the right price.  The last thing I bought backed was the advance for Clan of the Cave Bear which is a hideously rare poster.  I guess what stuck out with Bruce's current auction is that almost all likely did not need to be backed.  Some of the older ad posters probably needed it.  But the newer posters that are there certainly did not.  It's not a slight against Bruce, to be certain. I'm sure he just picked up a consignor who had a bunch of backed posters to move.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 12:10:39 AM »
I just made a thread earlier this week about potentially reversing the linen-back process for exactly the same reason. If the poster isn't fifty years old and barely holding together, there is no reason for it to be linen-backed. I saw a LB Pulp Fiction poster not long ago. That poster is only fifteen years old. It was never even folded. But for some reason, somebody had it linen-backed.

I think linen-backing is miss-sold. I think many novice or simply uninformed collectors think linen-backing a poster immediately increases its value. Simply scrolling through seller websites one comes across older posters that have been linen-backed, usually for no other reason but to remove the fold lines because people are idiots. They see an expensive poster that mentions its been linen-backed and their mind automatically assumes this it's a positive thing.

I don't know anything about how linen-backing has trended but as somebody who has just come into the hobby linen-backing is a sure-fire way to completely destroy the poster for me. I collect mostly modern posters, and every time I see a Raiders or an Empire Strikes Back or a Back to the Future poster linen-backed my brain melts. To me, that's like laminating a trading card or bronzing a Morgan dollar. There is no benefit to linen-backing a poster that isn't half a century old and is literally falling apart and not available otherwise.

I have a friend who just got into poster collecting in the last few months and had a considerable amount of cash to put into a new collection. He was telling me yesterday he couldn't wait for some poster to come in and he was e-mailing a guy to have it linen-backed. I asked why, he said "I thought you were supposed to?".

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 12:14:46 AM »
And BTW, there is nothing wrong with Bruce auctioning linenbacked posters.  It gives me some much needed respite. 

woohoo
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 12:21:06 AM »
Does this issue need to come up every time someone auctions linen backed posters?  If you don't like 'em don't buy 'em.  Jesus(TM), it's like beating a dead horse.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 12:25:04 AM »
And BTW, there is nothing wrong with Bruce auctioning linenbacked posters.  It gives me some much needed respite. 

woohoo

I couldn't agree more, on both counts.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 12:25:47 AM »
Does this issue need to come up every time someone auctions linen backed posters?  If you don't like 'em don't buy 'em.  Jesus(TM), it's like beating a dead horse.

I think beating a dead horse seriously weakens the value of a horse carcass. I understand some dead horses can benefit from a good beating but overall I don't understand the point or appeal. I can't tell you how often I stumble upon a dead Clydesdale or Mustang and am just about to bid before I realize it's been beaten.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 12:25:55 AM »
Does this issue need to come up every time someone auctions linen backed posters?  If you don't like 'em don't buy 'em.  Jesus(TM), it's like beating a dead horse.

Yes it does.  You don't like it, check another thread.
My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 12:27:05 AM »

It's a hot poker in my eye when I see it.  And, Mr. Drama, it does not come up every time linen posters are auctioned.  I don't like 'em.  I'm not going to buy 'em.

And, while we're at it, I don't much like you either.  I'm going to beat you like a dead horse.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 12:27:55 AM »
I don't think anyone here would argue with you about the "just don't buy 'em" rule Louie.  That said, I do believe it is a shame when posters get backed needlessly.  And if we aren't supposed to bitch about something, what are we doing spending so much time on an internet forum  ;D   

By the way... Bruce buddy, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE start putting up your mini/major items earlier so we can plan ahead for these big purchases!  A few weeks or a month would be great.  Had I known you would be listing a French 1-panel for In a Lonely Place I likely would have skipped the one I recently won at auction elsewhere! 

And also, wow is that Italian Grand Illusion beautiful!

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 12:28:09 AM »
Ted, where's my beating-a-dead-horse animation?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 12:29:14 AM »
It's a hot poker in my eye when I see it.  And, Mr. Drama, it does not come up every time linen posters are auctioned.  I don't like 'em.  I'm not going to buy 'em.

And, while we're at it, I don't much like you either.  I'm going to beat you like a dead horse.

Bring it on, baby!

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 12:32:29 AM »
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 12:49:01 AM »
heres one, sorry for bad pic. I bought this for less than I'd pay for a unrestored poster, and there is no work done on it that I can see, looks like it was perfect pre linen backing. But I always wanted the poster and it was cheap. I might even just pin it to my wall.

PS - Theiry, My Suspiria 2 Foglio needs backing also. Some paper loss, tears and is brittle. The paper loss is in the black for most parts, I think it would be worth it, unless I find a nice copy some time cheap(ish)

An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 01:18:18 AM »
 I'm going to beat you like a dead horse.

That made me laugh Holiday...too funny

I am considering backing my Django Tatekan so I can frame it. Would backing a tatekan since they come in 2 parts be an exception in our eyes or would you leave it be?

Cj

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 01:20:53 AM »
you can get it framed without backing.

Also note often backing things in 2 or more pieces the art doesn't match up.
Saw a bad example of this once.

An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 01:24:47 AM »
Thanks for the info Ari. I own zero backed posters. I may buy a backed poster so I can see what it looks and feels like in person.

Cj

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 02:35:30 AM »
#1 in my opinion, linenbacking a poster that does not need it is devaluing the poster
#2 linenbacking is meant to be for restorative purposes
#3 linenbacking to remove folds is not being restorative
#4 I only get posters linenbacked if they seriously need restoration (and I have about a dozen that fit that description. like a few that are ripped vertically from top to bottom. but one can be framed anyway, so I might not get that one done)
#5 I do not like restored items, but will suffer with them when faced with no other choice on a very rare piece (not just rare)
#6 When as a dealer I have something that would benefit from restoration, I sell it and let someone else do the restoring 99% of the time
#7 I have more than a few pieces framed and hanging that most people would get linenbacked for what I feel is minor restoration
#8 I think most linenbacking is done for stupid reasons
#9 so ask yourself "What would Jesus(tm) do?"
#10 Louie, I don't think that Jesus is (tm)

and before I forget, #11

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 02:39:34 AM »
I think beating a dead horse seriously weakens the value of a horse carcass. I understand some dead horses can benefit from a good beating but overall I don't understand the point or appeal. I can't tell you how often I stumble upon a dead Clydesdale or Mustang and am just about to bid before I realize it's been beaten.

I have this problem too  deadhorse

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 07:53:27 AM »
#1 in my opinion, linenbacking a poster that does not need it is devaluing the poster
#2 linenbacking is meant to be for restorative purposes
#3 linenbacking to remove folds is not being restorative
#4 I only get posters linenbacked if they seriously need restoration (and I have about a dozen that fit that description. like a few that are ripped vertically from top to bottom. but one can be framed anyway, so I might not get that one done)
#5 I do not like restored items, but will suffer with them when faced with no other choice on a very rare piece (not just rare)
#6 When as a dealer I have something that would benefit from restoration, I sell it and let someone else do the restoring 99% of the time
#7 I have more than a few pieces framed and hanging that most people would get linenbacked for what I feel is minor restoration
#8 I think most linenbacking is done for stupid reasons
#9 so ask yourself "What would Jesus(tm) do?"
#10 Louie, I don't think that Jesus is (tm)

and before I forget, #11

Excellent, glad to know where you stand, Rich.  I am making a chart on everyone who has replied to this thread with their personal preference so when the issue comes up again next week, I'll just post the info so we know where everyone stands on the issue.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 08:30:06 AM »
Excellent, glad to know where you stand, Rich.  I am making a chart on everyone who has replied to this thread with their personal preference so when the issue comes up again next week, I'll just post the info so we know where everyone stands on the issue.

laugh1

For the record then....

I am anti backing posters that dont need it.

I will now go and throw away my six linen backed posters.  NOT!

I fear I am still not detered me from "accidentally" geting more.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 08:47:20 AM »
OK, but at some price the linenbacked poster will have some value.  Don't tell me you wouldn't jump on a linenbacked 32 Dracula at say $1k.

So, just for fun we are looking at 4 semi-rare posters at auction.  #1 is VG-F, #2 is fair-P and unrestored, #3 is unrestored and linenbacked and #4 is restored and Linenbacked.

The VG-F poster has been selling for $1k.  How would you bid the other 3?
-Jay-

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 09:23:45 AM »
Most people know I dont care much for movies - I rarely see a movie. The posters I collect are for the art. I dont like the folds in my art. Apart from the parasite on rats posters I collect (Mex lobbies), I also collect a lot of large multisheet posters - 6 sht, 3sht, 4F. If I had the $, I'd back all those multi sheets.

I'd add an additional point to Rich's list
#11 linenbacking is used for conservation
Have you ripped a poster? I have... In hindsight I'd have preferred the poster on linen in one piece than having a gut wrenching rip thru it. Not saying back every poster to prevent rips, but you could back some of your fav's.
It also protects from further foxing on the folds (he says clutching at straws)

Actually I'll add another one
#12 more likely to be displayed
They handle better and is easier to pin to a wall. Also folds removed looks better to me and the average visitor.

Also note often backing things in 2 or more pieces the art doesn't match up.
Saw a bad example of this once.

I suspect displaying a folded multi piece posters is more likely to be misaligned than a backed one, unless they are pressed flat and joined closely together (ie stick pin holes in them under tension or tape them aka Mel). If held under friction they likely will just drop. Yeah, backing is likely to cause some misalignment as it is comes down to the skill of the backer - using timers accurately/accounting for the paper grain direction, patience... but most misalignments can be easily hidden with watersoluable pencil touchup. The bigger problem to me is color mismatch between panels which is independent of backing or not.

To me a backed folded poster looks fantastic!
I buy posters for me to enjoy, not planning ahead for their resale value. Impact on resale value to me of a backed poster is not significant enough for me to worry about.

P.S. Would I back every poster? No!...
Just every folded poster (haha)