Author Topic: How many linen-backed posters do you own and how did you acquire them?  (Read 15295 times)

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
I'll start, I have two. The first is a rolled Conan the Barbarian Advance poster. I had it backed in 2003 when I first started collecting because this was and still is one of my favorite posters. I just wanted to give it the "full" treatment. I still have yet to get it archivally framed. The second one I own is The Outlaw Josey Wales, folded and retouched. I got this off Ebay for about $200. Not framed either.

tstatum

I have three.  My Lolita day bill I got from heratige and it seam perfect and untouched up except for fold lines.  My Hustler one sheet seems to have had a little work but very professionally done, I bought that one from Bruce.  The last is a Torn Curtain I got during one of Bruce's bad linen sells, the touch up is very noticeable from less then three feet.  The first 2 are some o.f my favorite posters owned.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
I only have two, plus a couple of paperbacked ones.  Both are hanging.

The Glorious Fool is an early Richard Dix movie.  I bought it from Bruce 20 years ago, back when he sold from a catalog and you called in to make an appointment to purchase.

I don't remember where we bought Rescue Squad from.  It was late '90s.  This one is over restored, and you can see it if you look closely.

The picture is from a previous apartment.  Please excuse the mess and cobwebs :)

-Jay-

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
0 out of 9,000 and do not expect to ever buy any.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
I only have two, plus a couple of paperbacked ones.  Both are hanging.

The Glorious Fool is an early Richard Dix movie.  I bought it from Bruce 20 years ago, back when he sold from a catalog and you called in to make an appointment to purchase.

I don't remember where we bought Rescue Squad from.  It was late '90s.  This one is over restored, and you can see it if you look closely.

Really like these vintage posters, jayn_j.  Can you show us more?
For the record, I have 0 linen-backed, but am considering getting a brittle MIGHTY JOE YOUNG one sheet done in the near future. I'm not sure whether to go with linen or paper.  Seeing as you have both, what are your thoughts?
A few months back, Sam of Empire Posters raised some interesting points on MoPo on the pros and cons.  Maybe he'll weigh in here...

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF

That Rescue Squad is so damn cool...love the art and colors on that one.  Looks great!

I only have a few on linen at this point.  Couple Eastwoods, some 50s stuff, etc...

There are at least 2 or 3 posters in my horde that absolutely need to be put on linen with light restoration...one of them I haven't even opened since I bought it well over a year ago for fear I would cripple it further.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Those are two great posters jayn_j!  The colours are striking and look great framed...
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
I have more than I would like... but sometimes you can't avoid it based on the title.  And I'm also a bargain hunter and that means I'll often snap up rough-but-underpriced posters that will probably require backing at some point.  From what I have on the wall right now...

ON LINEN
  • Lavender Hill Mob (East German) - This one looked like it had been through a shredder... I had it backed and restored
  • Roman Holiday (R60 International 1-sheet) - This one was in rough shape and had mold on it... I had it backed and restored
  • African Queen (British 1-sheet) - This one was on linen when I got it, but it was a pretty poor job and needed to be re-backed... which I had done
  • African Queen (Polish) - I bought this one backed from Bruce a few years ago.  If I were doing it again today I probably would have waited for an un-backed copy... but I would still be waiting as no one has sold one at auction since!
  • L'Avventura (French 1-panel) - I bought this one unbacked, but in rough shape from Bruce... I had it backed and restored
  • To Catch a Thief (US 1/2 sheet) - This one I got for a song, but it was beat to hell... I had it backed and restored
  • Fistful of Dollars (R68 Italian 4 foglio) - I bought this one backed from Heritage... in the process of framing it now

NOT ON LINEN
  • Roman Holiday (Polish)
  • Le Samourai (French medium)
  • Once Upon a Time in the West (WC)
  • Goldfinger (Alamo/Mondo)
  • Soy Cuba (R80s Cuban)
  • Grand Illusion (F45 French medium)
  • Jaws (small Czech)
  • The Big Sleep (Bacall signed US insert)

I guess it is about a 50/50 split.  I have a few more on linen that aren't displayed, but my backed-to-unbacked ratio improves greatly.  At the moment in storage I think only have 4 backed posters -- Belle et la Bete (R51 French 1-panel), Touch of Evil (French 1-panel), Bonnie and Clyde (French 1-panel) and Not of this Earth (US 1/2 sheet) -- while I have hundreds of unbacked posters. 

I definitely prefer unbacked posters and I don't have posters backed for aesthetics.  That said, some posters are on linen or need it and they are a great deal... who was I to pass up a combined $400 purchase of the Belle et la Bete and Touch of Evil French 1-panels from above?  Sure I would have preferred them unbacked, but lets be reasonable!  ;D

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
I have six and I bought them all that way.

Three from emovie
Godfather Japanese...Framed and hanging. Should not have been backed. Hindsight  8)
Goldfinger French rerelease...Waiting for frame.
Apocalpse Now German A0...Framed but not hanging yet.

Three from Heritage...
The Guns of Navarone Belgium...Waiting for frame.

Good Bad Ugly German..DID NOT KNOW it was backed....drinking before bidding and somehow missed that in blurb.
Raiders of The Lost Ark Japanese...See above  :P

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
a combined $400 purchase of the Belle et la Bete and Touch of Evil French 1-panels

:o

...So, [loading quarters into sock...] where do you live again?  Just kidding.  Nicely done!

I've got too many backed, I went through a phase in the early oughts.  I'm over it now, and I've vowed not to take on any more "project" posters, (all vows subject to change).

The old big Frenchies and Italians practically have to be backed if you realistically want to display them.  Same goes for 3 sheets.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: How many linen-backed posters do you own and how did you acquire them?
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 01:47:06 PM »
I've only got two - my Mummy daybill and To Have and Have Not Aussie one sheet.  Both came off eBay.

Both are framed so I can enjoy them daily!

Unfortunately, I have some 'project posters' as Peter calls them that need backing but due to various constraints this has not yet occurred (and may never!)
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 02:01:08 PM »
I only have two, plus a couple of paperbacked ones.  Both are hanging.

The Glorious Fool is an early Richard Dix movie.  I bought it from Bruce 20 years ago, back when he sold from a catalog and you called in to make an appointment to purchase.

I don't remember where we bought Rescue Squad from.  It was late '90s.  This one is over restored, and you can see it if you look closely.

The picture is from a previous apartment.  Please excuse the mess and cobwebs :)

Those stone lithos are fantastic!  Simply beautiful!!  sm1

Jeff
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 02:43:52 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 02:31:14 PM »
Unfortunately, I have some 'project posters' as Peter calls them that need backing but due to various constraints this has not yet occurred (and may never!)

Me too.  Unfortunately, most of the ones I have that would really benefit can still be found in reasonable condition for less than the cost of backing.  I'm thinking of poor condition copies of Annie Get Your Gun, Invitation to the Dance and Power Dive that I have carefully stored.  They will likely never be backed.
-Jay-

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 02:39:12 PM »
Funnily, my Annie get your gun Quad needs work...

Jollyfine posters by the way J.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 03:03:09 PM »
Oh, and I think I have about 8 linen backed, only two I have had done as they needed it... 

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 04:25:22 PM »
:o

...So, [loading quarters into sock...] where do you live again?  Just kidding.  Nicely done!

I've got too many backed, I went through a phase in the early oughts.  I'm over it now, and I've vowed not to take on any more "project" posters, (all vows subject to change).

The old big Frenchies and Italians practically have to be backed if you realistically want to display them.  Same goes for 3 sheets.

--Peter

I like that... "project posters".  Good term.

Sometimes it is worth the hassle, even if you aren't going to keep them.  There were some posts a while back about my Marilyn posters that I had restored.... a Niagara and a Don't Bother to Knock, both 1-sheets.  Both were beat up and Niagara was even glued to foam core.  However, I got them for I think $450 combined, put $450 into restoring them, and sold them through Dave for something like $2500... not a bad bit of profit and they helped me afford my NM+ rolled (and unbacked ;)) Get Carter!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 04:29:15 PM »
Very nice Harry, well played.

I think my problem would be, once I have them I wouldn't want to sell them...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 04:32:12 PM »
I like that... "project posters".  Good term.

Sometimes it is worth the hassle, even if you aren't going to keep them.  There were some posts a while back about my Marilyn posters that I had restored.... a Niagara and a Don't Bother to Knock, both 1-sheets.  Both were beat up and Niagara was even glued to foam core.  However, I got them for I think $450 combined, put $450 into restoring them, and sold them through Dave for something like $2500... not a bad bit of profit and they helped me afford my NM+ rolled (and unbacked ;)) Get Carter!

I had no idea you sold them you sneaky bugger!  Looks like you played that well.  Did the $2,500 include Dave's commission hit?
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 04:38:43 PM »
Yup, $2500 was post commission. So about $1600 profit... probably more like $1500 after shipping back and forth, insurance, etc...

And yes Paul, I have stacks of posters that I promised myself I was only buying to flip but ended up keeping.  That is a very dangerous game to play ;)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 01:20:41 AM »
Cant remember where I got this one, but I did not have the work done.

I got these two from emovieposter.  They were both well done backing jobs without restoration.  The price was right or else i never would have bought a backed one.

This one is from heritage.

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 02:22:52 AM »
I currently have 4.

Taxi Driver

Pink Floyd The Wall

The Godfather - from the former Yugoslavia

BTTF 2

Big Lebowski  B1

All done by Poster Conservation, except The Godfather which I got from Bruce.  MPA Dan hooked me up with a linen backed one sheet when I bought another poster from him - will upload picture when I have time (and energy).

On a side note - anyone ever tried flattening out a linen-backed poster?

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 12:50:51 PM »
I have this one:

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 12:53:12 PM »
I have this one:

WOW...where do you live?

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 01:26:14 PM »
Thats a good one.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 01:32:49 PM »
Is this for real, as it's near April the 1st...