Author Topic: Alamo Clownhouse  (Read 31451 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Alamo Clownhouse
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 02:10:47 PM »
The other one just sold on ebay for $365 .. and it was a bad auction ending in the middle of the work day for most people .. Maybe this is just a market you guys dont have interest in and are unjustly judging something you dont know much about?

Maybe. Maybe not.
It's all a matter of taste.
I like some of Stout's work, but I think his ROBOCOP pales in comparison with the original one sheet.
Again, no offense to him.  He's a very capable and talented illustrator.
His work might skyrocket in value, but that is a factor that NEVER EVER enters into my purchasing decisions.

My authentic movie poster want list increases in size almost daily, leaving me no room to buy limited edition tribute posters. Especially those that do not convey the genuine mystique that only an original theatrical release poster does (for me, anyway).

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 02:12:26 PM »
You're just making lame generalizations now, Louie, with no inclination towards any sort of objective thinking.

We get it, you don't like Alamo posters.  No one cares.

It seems you care because you keep responding.  I don't think I made any generalizations at all, my response was pretty straight forward.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2011, 02:15:54 PM »
Maybe this is just a market you guys dont have interest in and are unjustly judging something you dont know much about?

"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 02:22:40 PM »
It seems you care because you keep responding.  I don't think I made any generalizations at all, my response was pretty straight forward.
Your generalization lies in your assumption that most folks here collect only for value.  That assumption is idiotic on every level, as is your convoluted thinking you have typed up here.

I care to defend against some illogical points on this section of the hobby.  It would be like me jumping in your nifty El Brendel blog and declaring that Brendel's films suck.  What is the point?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 02:28:09 PM »
This thread that Rich started was in response to the outrageous pricing (and sales tactics) he saw on Ebay.
So, for those who agree or disagree, it seems fair game.  wynk

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 02:36:13 PM »
Your generalization lies in your assumption that most folks here collect only for value.  That assumption is idiotic on every level, as is your convoluted thinking you have typed up here.

I care to defend against some illogical points on this section of the hobby.  It would be like me jumping in your nifty El Brendel blog and declaring that Brendel's films suck.  What is the point?

Yes, on the original post I replied on, fallenangel sounded to me like he bought and sold only for value, so I guess I made an assumption that was wrong, but not idiotic.  When people post on here "hey I got a good deal on ______________", it seems to me they are just buying for resale value .  Maybe that's the way I see it, but I just don't collect that way.  Meh, to each his own.

The Alamo's do suck.

guest8

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 03:32:19 PM »
Yes, on the original post I replied on, fallenangel sounded to me like he bought and sold only for value, so I guess I made an assumption that was wrong, but not idiotic.  When people post on here "hey I got a good deal on ______________", it seems to me they are just buying for resale value .  Maybe that's the way I see it, but I just don't collect that way.  Meh, to each his own.

The Alamo's do suck.

My post was just stating that I was willing to pay $300 for my copy and two others were willing to pay $500 for another .. and now two more people were willing to pay $365 for theirs .. I wasnt stating that I got a great deal, just that these posters are worth something to those of us who collect them.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 03:59:13 PM »
Ok, so you won't pay $799 for this poster, gotcha.  The seller is trying to raise the glass ceiling if you will, on this particular piece.  It obviously hasn't gotten to that value yet, but in time, probably will...count on it.  .

Wonka.. this is what alot of people whine about Dave Lieberman on (not that I say it's right or wrong)

my position: trying to raise the glass ceiling as you call it, is no different than asking more than something is worth & trying to get people to accept a new reality created by him.

personally, I wouldn't pay more than $20 for one of these.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 04:31:51 PM »
personally, I wouldn't pay more than $20 for one of these.

I'd pay more than $20, I do think that these posters can be quite valuable, but I stand by my statement that trying to declare your own price that ignores the market demand is poor salesmanship. Let's say I whittle 100 squirrels out of oak branches. I then sell all of those little squirrels for $30 at a local town fair. If everybody who bought one of these squirrels then listed them on eBay for $500, a number they clearly just made up because it is not in proportion to any sale data.

Eventually, some guy might go and pay $800 for a Robocop print, maybe somebody who is not educated like us and know that others have sold for much cheaper. He spends $800, but what if he decides to sell it again? It will be a great struggle, perhaps even impossible, for him to sell it for another $800. Put simply, he was swindled, because all of these items have volatile markets dictated entirely by the person who is trying to sell it.

Yes these posters are valuable and there are collectors who are willing to pay a great deal of money for them. But again, when people who hold them suddenly decide their value is whatever they want it to be, I don't hold those sellers in very high regard.

guest8

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2011, 04:40:41 PM »
from what I seen happen is way different from what DaveL does .. Dave posts fixed priced listings at major markups .. This ebayer started an auction with a BIN option of some crazy price .. People could bid without having to pay the BIN price .. Now Im guessing that seller got an offer of $400-500+ and ended the auction to sell off of ebay and save $50+/- in fees .. I dont believe it had anything to do with people bidding in at $300 it had plenty of time left to get bid up there .. So getting in a hissy about a non-fixed BIN price seems silly .. He probably just posted that price as a day dream price .. Not seriously expecting anyone to pay that BUT if someone did theyd take it ..

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 05:40:45 PM »
from what I seen happen is way different from what DaveL does .. Dave posts fixed priced listings at major markups .. This ebayer started an auction with a BIN option of some crazy price .. People could bid without having to pay the BIN price .. Now Im guessing that seller got an offer of $400-500+ and ended the auction to sell off of ebay and save $50+/- in fees .. I dont believe it had anything to do with people bidding in at $300 it had plenty of time left to get bid up there .. So getting in a hissy about a non-fixed BIN price seems silly .. He probably just posted that price as a day dream price .. Not seriously expecting anyone to pay that BUT if someone did theyd take it ..

I disagree Angel.. I think if he gets another $299 bid, he'll cancel that also because he wants $750. I've seen it many times before and frequently it's for stupid stuff. Clearly, you can see the bid he cancelled - though only at $299 at that moment - was topped at $550. I say the seller wasn't secure he'd get any other bids and that wasn't satisfactory to him, so he cancelled & relisted. Oh wait, I just checked.. he did indeed cancel the bids a second time, so the proof is in the pudding. He wants $750 and this time the bid was up to $320 as there were two bidders and again one topped at $550. It's hard to dispute anything when you see the second time around. as I said when I started this thread, it's a clownshow

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2011, 05:51:16 PM »
You're just making lame generalizations now, Louie, with no inclination towards any sort of objective thinking.

We get it, you don't like Alamo posters.  No one cares.

Wonka.. how can this silly little thread make you so emotional??
can't you accept that other people have differing opinions??
I agree with Louie on every level re: his comments. If I was collecting for investment, I'd just be collecting stocks and bonds. Posters are a poor investment overall, though you can make some astute purchases from time to time. 95% of everything sold in this hobby is as poor an investment as anything could be when considering actuarial graph data. My financial considerations when I buy a poster are not "am I buying something that will increase in value each year & be liquid security if I have to sell" they are "Is it worth this price to me at this very moment and do I have the cash to throw away". I think very little of what I own in posters will increase in value, but the spiritual investment (how it makes me feel to own that item) trumps any other considerations, including investment.
Next week I'm making an investment when I add $3-5000 to my stock portfolio. I hope to spend at least that much with Heritage next week. One is a financial investment, the other is a spiritual investment. The spiritual investment is unlikely to carry with it financial betterment down the road, though it is a slim possibility.

-------

guest8

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2011, 06:05:03 PM »
I disagree Angel.. I think if he gets another $299 bid, he'll cancel that also because he wants $750. I've seen it many times before and frequently it's for stupid stuff. Clearly, you can see the bid he cancelled - though only at $299 at that moment - was topped at $550. I say the seller wasn't secure he'd get any other bids and that wasn't satisfactory to him, so he cancelled & relisted. Oh wait, I just checked.. he did indeed cancel the bids a second time, so the proof is in the pudding. He wants $750 and this time the bid was up to $320 as there were two bidders and again one topped at $550. It's hard to dispute anything when you see the second time around. as I said when I started this thread, it's a clownshow

LOL .. I didnt realize he listed it twice .. But Im still not convinced .. if he wants $750 and is too scared to let the auction run its course he could jsut list it as a BIN of $750 and leave it there .. The continued use of the auction format makes me think something else is going on that we dont know .. Maybe multiple off-ebay buyers and on backed out? Maybe second thoughts on selling? its all speculation at this point ..

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2011, 06:12:06 PM »
Angel.. I've been doing this stuff for 46 years as a dealer
Intuition is not an anomalous "esp" situation. It is the remembrence of experience - subconcious or not - that tells you where things are going to go and what is happening.
Earlier in this thread, I plainly stated:
I think it's pretty obvious Adam.. he wants $750
he listed it at $299 to save a couple ebay listing bucks and he wont sell for $299

so I say if someone bids $299 again, he'll cancel it again

how did I know this? do you think I can see the future, or do you think I recognize the situation from many previous experiences?

I'll say it again.. if he relists it at $299/$750 and gets another bid at $299, he will again cancel and relist the auction.

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2011, 03:23:18 PM »
Angel.. I've been doing this stuff for 46 years as a dealer
Intuition is not an anomalous "esp" situation. It is the remembrence of experience - subconcious or not - that tells you where things are going to go and what is happening.
Earlier in this thread, I plainly stated:
how did I know this? do you think I can see the future, or do you think I recognize the situation from many previous experiences?

I'll say it again.. if he relists it at $299/$750 and gets another bid at $299, he will again cancel and relist the auction.

I tend to find that i progress further when i listen to the seasoned Professionals opinion,much better than following any sort of short lived trend...

Stew

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2011, 05:25:44 PM »
I tend to find that i progress further when i listen to the seasoned Professionals opinion,much better than following any sort of short lived trend...

Stew

I'm a bit "over seasoned"
 wynk

-------

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2011, 06:53:31 PM »
I can understand why Alamo Posters are so sought after - I collect film posters because I love films and buying the original poster is a way of owning a piece of that film in some way whilst also enjoying the art that appeals to me. However film posters are quite commercial for most people's tastes (they are essentially an advert), where as these prints off an alternative that may be more wall friendly in some houses. Screen prints are also rather tasty 'in the flesh' and the limited edition scarcity/buying frenzy/flippers contribute a helluva a lot to the demand.

Posters are a poor investment overall, though you can make some astute purchases from time to time. 95% of everything sold in this hobby is as poor an investment as anything could be when considering actuarial graph data. My financial considerations when I buy a poster are not "am I buying something that will increase in value each year & be liquid security if I have to sell" they are "Is it worth this price to me at this very moment and do I have the cash to throw away". I think very little of what I own in posters will increase in value, but the spiritual investment (how it makes me feel to own that item) trumps any other considerations, including investment.

I agree with every word - I always stick to a mantra of 'only buy what you love'...the only time I have cared about value is when I have paid a chunk for a couple of art prints on the secondary market and I'm not wealthy enough not to care if they suddenly became worthless over night...so I had to do more thinking and value related research than I normally would for buying something cheaper because it pleases me on an aesthetic level.

Bruce

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2013, 09:48:01 PM »
Here is another thread I bookmarked long ago and forgot about. How are prices of these nowadays?

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2013, 11:22:19 PM »
I sold my tron one recently, $150 I think. I dunno now, haha.
Only a few left,
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2013, 02:54:59 AM »
Here is another thread I bookmarked long ago and forgot about. How are prices of these nowadays?

The Stout Robocop? I just quickly checked the sales history on EB - since this thread started it has sold quite a few times on an upward price trend such that it has sold 19 times at a price over $800 (it has sold over $1k 5 times).

In general, the number of releases seems higher, runs are a bit bigger and the mugs who thought every print would flip for much $ have been burnt. I think their best releases (10 - 15 each year) are very good and the right combo of artist/title/art still sees very high demand and subsequent price escalations. Jaws by Laurent Durieux is a good example...less than a year old, but hardly any available and prices are very high as a result.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 03:13:16 AM by Tob »