Author Topic: Sellotape removal from posters  (Read 47658 times)

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
Re: Sellotape removal from posters
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2013, 05:39:16 PM »
Bollocks, I never took a before, it was mostly from the Daughter of Dr Jekyll Quad, I posted in the Latest thread.... Next time I will be more organised, I promise.

So basically what we have is a picture of some old sellotape, you should know that I am already a member of the Old Sellotape Fetish Forum, I don't need two fixes per day...
David

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2013, 05:49:49 PM »
So basically what we have is a picture of some old sellotape, you should know that I am already a member of the Old Sellotape Fetish Forum, I don't need two fixes per day...

laugh1

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 05:54:27 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2013, 06:57:43 PM »

laugh1     Forward me your address David, I'll send you the sticky mess...

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2013, 07:25:33 PM »

laugh1     Forward me your address David, I'll send you the sticky mess...

Bugger that - I'll auction it. We of the OSFF would pay top dollar for crusty old used tape...
David

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2013, 11:53:18 PM »
1) The Patient - Nasty sellotape along ALL the rear folds and in other areas!!  Must get off before dreaded burn-in takes hold...

2) The Medication

3) The Surgery

4) The Cancer

5) Post-Surgery

6) In-Patient Recovery Room

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 11:59:22 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2013, 12:00:54 AM »
As you can see from the photos I attempted but was unsuccessful at getting the brown paper tape off with the Un-Du.  Me thinks that's a future job for Dario but I definitely made his life easier :)
Chris

Matt

« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2013, 12:05:15 AM »
Love that surgical technique Chris.  clap

Just one thing though.....you need a bigger knife!  ;)

Edit: Forgot to mention, the poster is a ripper too.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 12:06:51 AM by Matt »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2013, 12:07:04 AM »
Love that surgical technique Chris.  clap

Just one thing though.....you need a bigger knife!  ;)

We lack the manual dexterity in these frigid climes to wield an Aussie-sized knife ;)
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2013, 12:46:09 AM »
Awesome, Chris...the poster (without question) as well as the surgical procedure and accompanying photos!!

cheers cheers

-Jeff

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2013, 01:21:07 AM »
Explain why you didn't use an archaeologist's trowel instead of that scalpel...
David

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2013, 05:19:13 AM »
Well done, fun photos, great poster

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2013, 11:29:20 AM »
Jollyfine Chris, and Great poster.

The Brown stuff will come off with a bit of patience... Or try the Lighter fluid.
It's more than a Hobby...

Charlie

« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2013, 11:47:25 AM »
Sweet!

Mirosae

« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2013, 11:38:44 AM »
Great work ... and great poster!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2013, 11:48:31 AM »
Thanks Rosa (and everyone else).  I was very pleased with how easily the sellotape came off and the fact the poster paper appears to be unaffected by the Un-Du in any way!
Chris

guest4531

« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2013, 04:12:14 AM »
Nice surgery !!
Love the Afriqua Queen, tried to bag a few but was outbid why sleeping.

gargoyle67

« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2014, 05:42:09 AM »
Here's my empire strikes back before and after tape removal>
Top left and right had tape not fixing tears but I guess sticking it to the wall at some point:

Little bit of marking where the tape was but certainty better than it was , May go over it again at some point

On the right side:

« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 05:45:48 AM by gargoyle67 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2014, 02:34:39 PM »
Nice job! Its coming along really well, so far.

Congrats!

-Jeff

Pancho

« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2014, 10:53:13 PM »
Couple of observations from my experience with Un-Du:

1. Be careful using it on white posters. I used it to take some tape off an 'It's Alive' daybill and the fluid bled out around the tape (as you expect it to) but it caused a 'ring' - like you might see on a bath tub. I put this down to the poster having some dirt in it which the Un-Du had swept up as it moved through the poster. It's only happened to me the once, but beware if you're working on a rare / treasured poster.

2. The Un-Du can leave a lot of sticky residue behind once the tape has been removed. A couple of extra applications of the fluid and a gentle scrape / wipe will usually sort out the problem, but don't get too enthusiastic - the Un-Du can make the poster fragile and you can find yourself losing a little colour if you're not paying close attention.

Overall, though, Un-Du is a great tool! I've rescued several posters using it that you'd never suspect ever had tape on them!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2014, 09:55:27 AM »
Couple of observations from my experience with Un-Du:

1. Be careful using it on white posters. I used it to take some tape off an 'It's Alive' daybill and the fluid bled out around the tape (as you expect it to) but it caused a 'ring' - like you might see on a bath tub. I put this down to the poster having some dirt in it which the Un-Du had swept up as it moved through the poster. It's only happened to me the once, but beware if you're working on a rare / treasured poster.

2. The Un-Du can leave a lot of sticky residue behind once the tape has been removed. A couple of extra applications of the fluid and a gentle scrape / wipe will usually sort out the problem, but don't get too enthusiastic - the Un-Du can make the poster fragile and you can find yourself losing a little colour if you're not paying close attention.

Overall, though, Un-Du is a great tool! I've rescued several posters using it that you'd never suspect ever had tape on them!

Pretty much my observations with Un-Du as well.  Although I have not encountered the issue in #1.  Was this a "glossy coated" daybill?
Chris

Pancho

« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2014, 07:42:55 PM »
Pretty much my observations with Un-Du as well.  Although I have not encountered the issue in #1.  Was this a "glossy coated" daybill?

Nothing special about the daybill; just the normal smooth on the front and rough(er) on the back.

guest4669

Re: Is there a way to remove tape from a poster?
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2014, 10:49:52 AM »
Hi - I dont know if anyone here has tried this before with this poster but I think I'm stuck. All the Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf DOM OS that I have seen have either a long strip of tape or a black stripe over the soundtrack info that was printed on the poster. I'm not sure why and that's not really important.

I've tried several times to remove this tape using Bestine, but this sucker just doesn't want to come off. My method has been to use a syringe and douse the tape both on the front and back with the Bestine, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. So my question, has anybody else tried this successfully? Am I doing something wrong? Or is this tape stuck forever?

After soaking with Besting, this was all it did:

Back:

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2014, 11:15:55 AM »
I had to send one of my posters to a restorer to get a snipe removed.  It was mostly successful but some of the text did have to be restored.

I didn't try Bestine or any other method as mine was of a similar age (1971) and also similarly to hide soundtrack information.  At least if the restorer does it, he can fill in the lost paper and make good - was my thinking.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2014, 11:54:39 AM »
Bestine (or any Heptane product) will not work on all forms of adhesive.  Given the amount you've tried I would say Bestine is not going to be the proper solution.  Might need a professional...

I also find it great that the snipe is failing utterly in doing its job of hiding the soundtrack info!   thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 11:54:51 AM by CSM »
Chris

guest4669

« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2014, 12:08:53 PM »
Thanks guys. I was afraid I was stuck and it looks like I am. No worries, the poster isnt in that great of shape anyways, I was really just trying to start learning how to remove tape on my own...on to the next poster!