Author Topic: Sellotape removal from posters  (Read 47075 times)

Mirosae

Re: Sellotape removal from posters
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2013, 01:08:42 PM »
Be careful with that snipe too - I can attest to having skinned a poster before trying to get one of those off  >:(

Thanks Chris. Not sure what to do with the snipe now.. i don't want to skin the poster. My worry is the damm tape (excuse my language). Anyway. It is drying up now. will see.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2013, 01:22:25 PM »
The tape will come off, just slow and steady is the way. Don't worry about putting too much fluid on, it will vap off...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2013, 01:23:41 PM »
That IS a good eye Jeff - it's my near the top of my fav movie list and I didn't even notice!
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2013, 01:28:03 PM »
The tape will come off, just slow and steady is the way. Don't worry about putting too much fluid on, it will vap off...

Thanks Paul, really appreciate this. I have my fingers, and toes Xsd
That IS a good eye Jeff - it's my near the top of my fav movie list and I didn't even notice!
;)

What is your top Chris? I would like to know,  'cause this one should be top at Everest mountain level...me thinks ;)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2013, 01:37:44 PM »

What is your top Chris? I would like to know,  'cause this one should be top at Everest mountain level...me thinks ;)

Oh it's definitely near the top but different movies for different moods if you know what I mean.

It's my favourite Bogie that's for sure and within my top 5 movies overall.  Blade Runner is up there too...

If we're talking 'noirs' then "Night Has a Thousand Eyes", "Scarlet Street" & "Nightmare Alley" should be included.  But then again I love so many noir films it's very hard to rate them.  It's like choosing between favourite children!

So you see it's a tough task :)
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2013, 01:38:07 PM »
Oh and Rosa I would really, really love to see your Bogie poster collection SOON!
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2013, 02:52:20 PM »

.................. :-X

Before with Tape

After, without Tape (and..uhm..paper)

I really did it as carefully as possible. But there wasn't much paper there to work on. The product is great.

I take full responsibility. Me. Me hand. Me rubbish. I should have just used a pair of scissors.

I will post this anyway. So you alll can have a laugh. It shows how NOT to do this.  :-X

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2013, 02:55:38 PM »
The paper under the tape looked thinner in some spots, Rosa, so something like this could be expected.

And you got the tape off!! Good job!

happy1

-Jeff

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2013, 03:12:35 PM »
Two words Rosa, Dario Casadei
David

Mirosae

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2013, 03:37:43 PM »
Two words Rosa, Dario Casadei

David, I think so too  :-[

The paper under the tape looked thinner in some spots, Rosa, so something like this could be expected.

And you got the tape off!! Good job!

happy1

Thank you Jeff, the tape has come off, but dunno, dunno  :-[I need to consider now if I should take it to a restorer, caramba.

Lesson 1: Do not attempt any restoration on a Saturday night. Best to go out and have a drink, or two or maybe three. That will teach me. :-\

Mirosae

« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2013, 03:44:10 PM »
Oh it's definitely near the top but different movies for different moods if you know what I mean.

It's my favourite Bogie that's for sure and within my top 5 movies overall.  Blade Runner is up there too...

If we're talking 'noirs' then "Night Has a Thousand Eyes", "Scarlet Street" & "Nightmare Alley" should be included.  But then again I love so many noir films it's very hard to rate them.  It's like choosing between favourite children!

So you see it's a tough task :)

:o V. good films! Though I will include DOA as one of the greatest noir film too  ;)

Oh and Rosa I would really, really love to see your Bogie poster collection SOON!

Yes, you will  ;)...I just need to stop wearing my 'Terminator' hat. I checked yours, your collection is really cool!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2013, 03:48:04 PM »
David, I think so too  :-[

Or Alain Bourgouin, who is local to you in London. :)

http://www.posterscience.com/

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2013, 03:57:33 PM »
That was a tricksy one to start with, what fluid did you use?

Mirosae

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2013, 04:14:45 PM »
That was a tricksy one to start with, what fluid did you use?

Hi Paul,

I used the Lighter fluid you recommended. BUT two things,

ONE I used tweezers not a knife because I didnt have much paper AND i just couldn't get around it with the knife. I had to peel it off.

TWO,  I should have waited and soaked it properly, and being much  calmer rather than feeling so anxious and terrified that I was some sort of  TERMINATOR.

Anyway, no probs. We all learn things. I learnt my lesson. That's cool. I will certainly give it a go with another one in better shape. I am not going let this to ruin my Sat.

I am going to have my 7th G&T now. It's OK. 

The three moods of Rosa right now :) :'( moron1

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2013, 04:19:02 PM »
Hi Paul,

I used the Lighter fluid you recommended. BUT two things,

ONE I used tweezers not a knife because I didnt have much paper AND i just couldn't get around it with the knife. I had to peel it off.

TWO,  I should have waited and soaked it properly, and being much  calmer rather than feeling so anxious and terrified that I was some sort of  TERMINATOR.

Anyway, no probs. We all learn things. I learnt my lesson. That's cool. I will certainly give it a go with another one in better shape. I am not going let this to ruin my Sat.

I am going to have my 7th G&T now. It's OK.  

The three moods of Rosa right now :) :'( moron1

7th?!?!?!   :o   ;)  

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 04:19:39 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2013, 04:19:35 PM »
Great job Rosa!  I think it looks about as good as you could expect... seriously.  

I doubt a restorer could have saved much additional paper given how thin/frail it was.  The upside to using a restorer is that they have loads of period/color appropriate paper to patch in the missing bits.  You could try doing it yourself if you can find some matching paper on a worthless title.  Then just cut out a patch and tape it from behind using acid free tape.  That's probably as much as you can hope to do without sending it in for a professional restoration.

Just take comfort in knowing that you got that nasty acid-soaked tape off so it won't be doing any additional damage in the mean time!

Mirosae

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2013, 04:54:18 PM »
Oh, many thanks to all.. :)

In appreciation for such great contributions and support, you are all cordially invited to a G&T (no ice or lemmon though) :P

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2013, 09:04:19 PM »
Bombay Sapphire.  Good for you.  thumbup

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2013, 09:54:18 PM »
You are having way too much fun Rosa  ;)

How did the paper look afterwards (after it dried) in the areas where the lighter fluid was used?
Chris

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2013, 10:11:59 PM »
That's a big glass of Gin & Tonic

Mirosae

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2013, 08:15:30 AM »
Bombay Sapphire.  Good for you.  thumbup

Of course ;)

That's a big glass of Gin & Tonic

:P
You are having way too much fun Rosa  ;)

How did the paper look afterwards (after it dried) in the areas where the lighter fluid was used?

It looks OK to me Chris, the paper is quick thick so it seems alright no descoloration.

Or Alain Bourgouin, who is local to you in London. :)

http://www.posterscience.com/

Yes, you're right Jeff. Alain is very, very good. I just thought I could give it  a try before sending it over to him! If it goes to Alain this would be a good example of a very cheap, low value poster, in need of an expensive restoration. But Bogey is Bogey. Im doomed :)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2013, 12:22:37 PM »
Another good job done.....

Luckily these two posters were saved before any burning to the poster was done... :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2013, 02:50:23 PM »
Paul - you can think of yourself as poster paramedic - saving one poster for posterity at a time!
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2013, 03:11:11 PM »
Perhaps we can see a before and after of the poster?
David

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2013, 04:51:46 PM »
Bollocks, I never took a before, it was mostly from the Daughter of Dr Jekyll Quad, I posted in the Latest thread.... Next time I will be more organised, I promise.