Author Topic: Sellotape removal from posters  (Read 47072 times)

Disheveledamethyst

Sellotape removal from posters
« on: March 12, 2011, 12:38:50 AM »
Let's say you have a thirty or so year old poster with tape stuck on all four corners. Is there a way to remove this tape without damaging the paper? Steam, perhaps?

Online paul waines

• Curator
Re: Is there a way to remove tape from a poster?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 03:45:26 AM »
Lighter fluid!   It sounds a bit dodgy, but works fine. Make sure you have the poster on a flat surface, preferably non porous. Just pore some along the tape, give it a minuet and the tape will lift off, sometimes needs a little coaxing, but be steady and patient. leave the poster until the fluid evaporates, and your done.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 09:02:31 AM »
Bestine has also been recommended.
Chris

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 09:59:54 AM »
Bestine has also been recommended.

Yep, works great. Take it slow, no heat. If the paper has discolored underneath, that cannot be removed unless you go to a restorer, but the tape comes off pretty easy normally.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 12:38:47 PM »
I've never heard of, let alone used, bestine before. My brain says that using a liquid on paper would cause it to wrinkle. How does it work?

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 01:22:26 PM »
Lighter fluid dissolves the glue so you can lift the plastic of the Sellotape up, and then evaporates. It doesn't affect the paper, inks or anything.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 01:24:54 PM »
Lighter fluid dissolves the glue so you can lift the plastic of the Sellotape up, and then evaporates. It doesn't affect the paper, inks or anything.

Hmm... Okay. Any particular brand or kind? Are there different types of lighter fluid? I set very few things on fire.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 01:44:52 PM »
Anthony,

Bestine, available here in the US ( i dont think it's sold in the UK), would be the better choice, imo. Restorers here use it with regularity.

Jeff

-Jeff

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 03:02:25 PM »
I just did a little research on Bestine. It seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Have you used it before?

I can't find any results for people who've used it to remove scotch tape from paper. Nor have I found any tips on how to use it. Can you shed a little light on that? There is a poster I want to bid on that has old tape stuck on all four corners that have browned over time. It's very unsightly, but I can't find the poster anywhere else so I'm considering bidding. But if I won't have a good chance of remedying the tape damage, I might as well save my time.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 07:36:51 PM »
Done some digging around about Bestine. I am in Australia where we don't have Bestine so I have to consider alternatives. My research:

Best ingredients: 100% Heptane or 100% Naphtha (unsticks and leaves no residue)
Cautions: These are flamable and you need to wear gloves to avoid skin contact and also have good ventilation. Some forms of Naphtha are carcinogenic.

Products:
Bestine Adhesive Remover/Rubber Cement Thinner = 100% Heptane
Un-Du = 100% Heptane
Lighter fluid/Coleman Camping fluid = 100% Naphtha (lighter fluid can also be butane, but that is a gas so Butane is not practical)
Goo Gone = Naphtha with added Citrus Oil, though leaves greasy film (apparently)
Blaster E-Z Take away = 90% Naphtha and 10% Isopropyl (Propane)
Goof off = Naphtha, Xylene and Methanol (Xylene is a paint remover so probably is not good)

For us without access to Bestine, Un-Du is apparently just the same and is available in Oz. Info & Order

Apparently it can be found at art supply stores, paint stores and some hardware stores.

Here is a demo how to use Un-Du/Heptane

Reading the threads Chris posted (thanks), an alternative to chemicals is to try a hairdryer on tape and use tweezers to seperate.
Dario mentions don't use Bestine and hairdryer combo... I assume a kaboom may happen.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
I just did a little research on Bestine. It seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Have you used it before?

I can't find any results for people who've used it to remove scotch tape from paper. Nor have I found any tips on how to use it. Can you shed a little light on that? There is a poster I want to bid on that has old tape stuck on all four corners that have browned over time. It's very unsightly, but I can't find the poster anywhere else so I'm considering bidding. But if I won't have a good chance of remedying the tape damage, I might as well save my time.

Does the tape residue bleed thru to the front of the poster in any of the corners?

-Jeff

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 08:22:43 PM »
Does the tape residue bleed thru to the front of the poster in any of the corners?

Not to my knowledge. The tape is however folded over onto the back as well. When they took it off the wall they just folded the tape and stuck it on the back.

Online paul waines

• Curator
Sellotape removal from posters
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 08:51:17 AM »
As I'm Snowed in at the moment, I thought I would get the sellotape off two recent posters I've bought.  So while at it I took a few pics, just to show anyone who hasn't tried it , that it won't damage your poster.

This tape had been on looking at it, since the film was show in the 60's. The glue had burned into the paper somewhat, but the longer it stays there the more damage it will cause. So always get tape off as soon as you can.

all you need is lighter fluid, and a not to sharp knife

soak the tape and surrounding area in the fluid, and leave for a moment. You need to let the fluid soak under the tape,
but it still needs to be wet when you start to lift the plastic back of the tape up...

When you have removed the tape, I lightly wipe any access glue up, or you may need to use a dull knife
being careful not to dig into the paper.

Then let the paper dry fully.

And onto the next bit of tape...

As you can see, there's no damage to the poster, other than the burning of the glue in this case as the tape had been on
that long, Tape that hasn't burned into the paper will come off with not sign it was there at all.

Half a roll of crappy Sellotape...

Keep an eye on the table as it can sometimes get slightly sticky, I always wipe the table with the cloth and some more
lighter fluid before moving on to the next bit. Also wipe the table clean when finished as you will cop it from
Yvonne if there's any mess... ;)

I'm sure if your sending a poster off for resto, Who ever you choose to do it would prefer this done before they get it as it will save them the chew, and you a few bob.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:55:48 AM by paul waines »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: Sellotape removal from posters
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 09:11:37 AM »
Hasn't happened here, but isn't it strange when sometimes removing tape and the paper is transparent underneath ?
Often when the tape can be removed without lighter fluid or whatever, it's very dry and kinda cracks and comes off, I dunno, might only happen to daybills. But you can see though it, even though it's still as thick as before
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 09:42:18 AM »
Thanks Paul!

I have a couple I have been scared to attack.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 01:13:28 PM »
Great set of step-by-step photos, Paul. And a nice mini lesson to any that want to tackle this on their own.

Great job!!

-Jeff

Bruce

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 01:19:50 PM »
If you live in the U.S. I highly recommend Bestine over lighter fluid (you can't buy it in England or Europe).

It works better, but it is even more dangerous, so you have to be super careful.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 06:18:22 PM »
Thanks so much Paul - I have been terrified to try this.  I wonder if the lighter fluid would affect/leave a stain on a lobby card (thicker paper) more obviously?

And Ari is right about the translucent paper change on daybills - so weird!
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 08:19:09 PM »
Can also buy pure acetone from hardware etc stores which fully evaporates clean, not nail varnish remover which usually has added colouring and scent. Likewise use in a well ventilated room and be careful of inhaling.
Glad you've seen the transparent daybill tape phenomena Chris, thought people would think I was insane after I posted. Wonder what the science is behind it.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Bruce

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 08:22:40 PM »
I've seen it many times Ari. It seems to only be on glossy paper, but I have no idea of why.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 01:21:30 AM »
Great photo demo Paul! That should inspire people to give it a go.

Here is a link to some of my research on products. It also links to a youtube demo:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QRXgbg2zfLs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QRXgbg2zfLs</a>

No Bestine here, I use this product, heptane based (my own photo hehe):

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 02:58:22 AM »
I wasn't sure that make of fluid I used would work, as I only ever used a certain brand, but it was fine. So it looks like there are many products available that work.

The translucent paper thing I have had on some Quads, in fact if you look at the second or third photo above you can clearly see the table through the poster. Double Crowns are quite often printed on thick stock, so there is no problem there. I have taken tape off a lobby card with no problems.

And Chris, in all the paper I've removed tape from, it's never left a stain, and the paper is always smooth and not sticky afterwards. It makes such a huge difference with that tape off. I'm that confident doing it now I'd try it on any value poster that needed it.

The worst paper to try is this modern shiny stuff, as the liquid takes ages to seep under the tape, and you need to use quite a lot of fluid, but as with trying this on any paper, patients is the key. And don't forget, the paper needs to be wet before you start to lift the tape off...

I'm sure we all have a cheap poster with a bit of tape on to try this, you will be surprised at the results.  

Steve, that was the thread I was looking for to post this in...  eyeroll
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 03:44:58 AM by paul waines »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 03:51:14 AM »
but as with trying this on any paper, patients is the key.   

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 12:07:23 PM »
Damn modern posters good for nothing even with tape all over them!
Chris