Author Topic: What I will not collect  (Read 16327 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
What I will not collect
« on: March 10, 2011, 08:45:48 PM »
I might have started another thread like this in the past, but I'm too lazy to find it.  Plus, it was so last year.

We all have our limits, self imposed by personal taste or money.  So here we go - absent from my collection are:

* US 1/2 sheets
* US inserts
* US 30x40in (Thanks Dale, never got the point of those)
* US Printer's Proof
* Belgian posters
* Italian Locandinas
* Australian Daybills
* French small posters
* Japanese Chirashis

What about you guys?

T

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 08:59:57 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
Re: What I will not collect
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 08:53:14 PM »
The Minty white debacle soured me on card stock formats in general so I buy none of them, so...

30x40
40x60
Inserts
Half sheets
Not really interested in lobbies
Zero interest in stills
Belgians
Locandinas - to much white space in general
Anything multiple pieces 3 sheet etc..

That being said, there are exceptions to each oh these  : ;D

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:53:43 PM »
If it's based on SIZE, I'll have everything.

HOWEVER, if it's based on WHAT, then I won't collect Alamo posters and such (unless it's Bond), purely because I like them too much and I don't want another collection going; much the same reason why I don't collect the older horror stuff.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 08:57:46 PM »
I only collect one sheets (video and theater) and 99% of those are U.S.

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 09:01:54 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmm............................let me see..............................what don't I collect.......................

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 09:02:51 PM »
I don't exclude any particular size or style if the art is right.

But, I usually pass on:

Inserts
1/2 sheets
Daybills
Locandinas
and anything larger than a 1 panel.

as far as genres are concerned, I focus on horror, sci-fi, fantasy and good girls!  thumbup

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 09:23:26 PM »
Great, many are not ruling out mexican lobby cards! I'd now love to see T's Mexican lobby card collection!

Talking sizes-
I rule out:
- US lobby cards (except the above mex, as I collect for the art not photos)
- US window cards
- video posters

Talking themes-
I rule out:
- pretty much anything not 1940's - 1970's
- nakedness  uhno (As much as I like em, now really, am I ever going to put one of them up on a wall???)
- Egyptian
- pretty much anything showing photos
- Polish - too much of a mood dampner(?!!!)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 09:24:27 PM »
Daybills, stills, and lobbies are the primary ones, mostly because I don't want to focus on too many formats, mostly.  I like a nice variety of different formats, depending on what is available and what will allow me to display the maximum number of posters, since one-sheets are too big for some areas and other areas (when I buy some more frames) are better suited for sizes like half sheets and larger formats like one panels.

I mostly like inserts, half sheets, and 30x40s because they are not folded, mostly.   IMHO rolled posters look a lot better when displayed.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 10:21:01 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 09:35:17 PM »

* US 1/2 sheets
* US inserts
* US 30x40in (Thanks Dale, never got the point of those)
* US Printer's Proof
* Belgian posters
* Italian Locandinas
* Australian Daybills
* French small posters
* Japanese Chirashis

Though I dont collect em really, I have at least one of everything but an exyugo and a Fin. I pretty much collect by movie or actor and sometimes art.

BTW. Whats wrong with small French posters?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 09:54:10 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot

* YUGO posters (hate them with a passion!)
* US Window cards

Re: French posters, it's a matter of preference.  I only collect large (47x63in) and the now defunct medium size (24x32in) French posters.  Sometimes, if the art is radically different, I will collect the old 18x22in, but never the current small posters.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 10:18:30 PM »
I will collect anything and everything if the image is right.  What I don't have in my collection yet is something like:
  • Italian Photobustas (lusting after a Barbarella set)
  • Mexican posters (that Belle et la Bete Bruce just sold was stunning!)
  • Russian posters (not telling which ones I want...)
  • Swedish posters (so many cool pre-50s posters!)
  • Turkish posters (a few I'm interested in...)
  • Thai posters (only because I don't know which sellers to trust)
  • UK double crowns (shakes fist at Mark for that Bonnie and Clyde!)
  • US 6-sheets (tons I would want, quite difficult to frame though)
  • Japanese B1s, B0s and tatekans (plenty I want, but they are quite expensive...)
  • And lobbies from pretty much every country except the US

What do I have?  Pretty much everything else... all US sizes except 6-sheets and 24-sheets, UK, French, German, Italians, Spanish, Argentinians, Cubans, Aussies, Yugos, Czech, Polish, East German, Danish, Romanian, Japanese B2s and chirashi, Korean, Chinese, etc...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 10:55:40 PM »
I don't collect anything T. collects.

Far too "élitiste" for my tastes...
Chris

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 12:12:20 AM »
Belgians
Yugoslavians
1/2 sheets
inserts
window cards
foh cards
mexicans
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 12:41:43 AM »
Essentially, I am very selective with the paper I purchase. I will never buy paper for a movie I didn't love. I mean, love. There are lots of movies I like, and usually the posters are crap anyway, but if it wasn't one of my top-five for the year or a beloved classic of mine I will never buy the poster.

For example, I took home posters for eight of the ten Best Picture nominees this year (Winter's Bone and The Kids are All Right being absent). Upon review, while they are undoubtedly good films and I did certainly enjoy them, only half of those movies I loved. Simply liking a movie isn't enough for me, with space and budget always in mind. Even if I kept all of my posters in tubes I don't have the space or passion for paper on movies I just like.

I also won't collect a poster if the artwork sucks. Which is common with contemporary movies.

As far as formats, I only collect (for now):
-1 Sheets
-Quads
-AU Inserts

I know some people hate inserts, but I find their size and displayability very appealing. Sure, they feel a little like novelties compared to their larger counter-parts, but they're also typically much cheaper and there are more intricate places they can be hung. Unless the movie is astronomically important to my collection, I will always entertain the notion of a Daybill, but I don't believe I would ever own a Daybill when a 1-Sheet is available.

I also won't collect paper with foreign text if an English-text version is available. I currently don't own any posters without English text, and I've only see a couple of international posters with unreadable text that I would consider buying. I always appreciate fine artwork, but my collection is not just artwork. It's a compilation of films I've made a connection with, and having text I can't read on the poster feels a little disconnected. I don't know if this will change.

I also had a brief stint in lobby cards before becoming incredibly bored with the prospect.

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 09:01:19 AM »
definitely won't collect Belgium stuff!

I am going to stick up for Australian daybills, I love them, great for framing and good value too

easyenders

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 09:09:49 AM »
No video, no Japanese, no more Alamo, no more lobbys

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 09:14:22 AM »

Why dont yall like these cute Belgian lil guys? I have a few that I really like.

Is there a problem with Yugos? I dont have one yet but I have bid on em.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 09:59:42 AM »
I'm kind of glad you all turn your noses up at 1/2 sheets, inserts and lobbies.  Keeps the prices down for me :)  I find the smaller stuff easier to frame and find display space.

I can't say there is anything I wouldn't consider, but I do have some stuff I shy away from

- Foreign material (framing issues, plus I like to read the text)
- 30x40s.  Can't understand why these exist.  I do have one framed, a Young Frankenstein.
- Newer easily pirated stuff.  Just not worth my time to figure it out.

I tend to collect  '30s - '70s.  Heavy on musicals and comedies.  I kind of prefer theater used and my posters proudly display their stains, folds, tears and pinholes.  Its not that I don't appreciate good condition, but a poster with some battle scars is more authentic in my mind, thus feels better on my walls.

As for lobbies, I tend to put them in small crannies, hallways and bathrooms.  They give a nice browsing feel, as opposed to the one big impact from a 1 sheet.

I also have a couple of 3 sheets framed for the big impact.
-Jay-

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 10:07:36 AM »

I am going to stick up for Australian daybills, I love them, great for framing and good value too

thumbup
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 10:09:59 AM »
I don`t understand why deliberately restrain yourself from a certain country`s paper.
I collect mostly posters from Argentina (I was born here and can obviously relate more to national posters), but I have bought stuff from different countries, for both argentinean and foreign films.
If its a poster of a film I like or the image is appealing to me, the country of origin of the poster is irrelevant.
I got this great belgian some time ago:

Also got a few yugoslavians, croatians and -sorry Rich- mexican lobby cards...

Like them all
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 10:15:28 AM »
It's not prejudice against those countries or posters.  They just happen to be in sizes that don't appeal to me, and there's never been an image thus far that has made me take the jump to get one.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 10:37:53 AM »
I think we've been here before, but I'll collect any size or country. My only rules are, I'll buy if it's from a film I like, even if the poster is crap. Or if I like the poster but have never seen the film, or the film's crap...

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 10:51:10 AM »
I think we've been here before, but I'll collect any size or country. My only rules are, I'll buy if it's from a film I like, even if the poster is crap. Or if I like the poster but have never seen the film, or the film's crap...

A crap poster from a great film is still a crap poster in my mind.
-Jay-

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 10:56:18 AM »
Quite true, but it's of a Great film. ;D
It's more than a Hobby...

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 10:56:32 AM »
I won't say never, because I always like country of origin paper, but in general I do not collect:

(ex)Yugo
Lobby Cards
Window Cards
Locandia (though I have considered starting a spaghetti western locandia collection)
US inserts
Pressbooks
Heralds
Chirashi (though I do have a set of chirashi for Pi in my collection)
.......and not to be forgotten Ghananian (or is Ghanese?)
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery