Author Topic: Gallery1988  (Read 40851 times)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
Re: Gallery1988
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2011, 10:28:18 PM »

I love his use of color, but I am not a fan of the way he stylizes people.  It nearly ruins his Wolfman poster.

The only other problem I have is that he is part of the Bob Ross contingent...

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2011, 10:56:56 PM »
Anthony, the realm of prints like this via Mondo/Gallery 1988/Etc...is Pandora's Box. Beware! There is no going back...now you will have two holes in your wallet, not just one.

Anyway, best way to answer these questions is on the pertinent thread on EB.  The latter posts are from guys in line at the show right now.
Thierry is going tonight as well.

(EB = Expresso Beans, THE place for all things art and gig prints in terms of forum and buying/selling hype, hormones and groupthink).

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=65682

Sorry, had to fix that for you...

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2011, 11:24:58 PM »
I love his use of color, but I am not a fan of the way he stylizes people.  It nearly ruins his Wolfman poster.

I agree on Danger's 'people' design. It's almost like two different artists worked on some of his pieces, although not all of them. The more glaring examples of this oil and water effect I don't pick up, but as a whole, his work really speaks to me. I grew up really admiring Edward Gorey, and so Danger's stuff reminds me of his work in many ways.  His art makes me think of what led up to that particular visual I am staring at, and what could happen next, and I dig that.

The character work in his Archer and Relic prints are the least egregious in this example you bring up, although this Jabberwock doesn't really bother me...I almost like how Alice/the girl stands out a bit.

Sorry, had to fix that for you...

Agreed re: the forum over there, for sure. But in terms of a pure and practical database to look things up and explore given interests in that realm, its pretty tough to beat. Not dealing with ebay on a potential transaction is another bonus.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2011, 12:42:01 AM »
Waited in line forever.  A very simple show, lots of prints everywhere, most too small to my liking.

What I got tonight:

Rhys Cooper's "The Art of War"

Ken Taylor's Moby Dick

I also wanted the variant, but the tube got lost (or got stolen), so they didn't sell it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2011, 12:45:00 AM »
I still can't believe there was no Gatsby. That book is absolutely loaded with imagery and period aesthetic. You put together an entire collection of classic literature and omit the "Great American Novel". I'm far more upset about this than I should be... sigh...

I wish I could commission an artist. I'd do it in a second. But I imagine it probably costs a lot of money...

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2011, 03:33:08 AM »
Maybe it's not-so-great...

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2011, 05:38:21 AM »
As far as stuff I would look at buying if they were part of this series......

Well, the Moby Dick is awesome.  Huckleberry Finn could have a lot of promise.  That Cooper piece is pretty rocking also.  I might look at something for Canterbury Tales, and of course Frankenstein, or The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Oh, and if Danger doesn't do something for On Walden Pond, they they have wasted his talents on this one, IMO.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2011, 09:57:17 AM »
Looks great, Thierry.

I think the next gallery opening should be an Oprah's Bookclub Show.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Gallery1988's "Required Reading" collection...
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2011, 08:45:19 PM »
Posters for books have been something I've been thinking about since I joined this forum. 1988's line of "Required Reading" prints is a rather timely coincidence because just the other day I was wondering if there was any kind of artwork done for F. Scott Fizgerald's The Great Gatsby. I'm having trouble finding pictures, or a list, of the posters included in the "Required Reading" gallery (I'm under the impression not all the titles have been revealed) but if the name is any indication I think there might be a good chance there will be a Gatsby poster.

If such a poster is released, granted it's not unattractive, I want it. A lot. Since I've never bought from 1988 before, I want to know...
1. Can you buy prints online, or do you have to visit one of their locations?
2. What do their limited prints usually cost?
3. Where is "Melrose" and does anybody live around there?

Any help would be appreciated. As much as I love movie posters a Gatsby poster would be incredible.

Thanks,
Anthony

Melrose Ave is here in Los Angeles.. just a little ways own the road from you..  ;)

-Jeff

guest8

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2011, 08:44:29 AM »
I just saw that Budich released a "mini" version of his Ferris print on his website .. A lot of the EB guys were a little upset because it probably killed any value the 1st run may have had ..

What are your guyseses/gals thoughts on artists doing 2nd runs .. But changing it just a little bit to make it seem like it isnt a 2nd run ?

Picked up this spiffy Ferris Bueller (indirectly via Ebay) from Gallery 1988.

Artist is Joshua Budich:

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2011, 09:00:19 AM »

That is a beautiful piece, T.  thumbup

longdog

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2011, 09:06:53 AM »
I just saw that Budich released a "mini" version of his Ferris print on his website .. A lot of the EB guys were a little upset because it probably killed any value the 1st run may have had ..

What are your guyseses/gals thoughts on artists doing 2nd runs .. But changing it just a little bit to make it seem like it isnt a 2nd run ?

I have a feeling you will start seeing a lot more of this in the coming years. As certain artists see some of their pieces go up in value within days of issue the tempatation will be there to 're-release' them (with tweaks) to cash in themselves above and beyond what they were initially payed further down the line.

A number of established photographers already do this with signed/limited run prints of their famous pictures and justify it by doing slight variations of printing technique/colour and paper.

As far as the film related prints this has only occured on a few occasions (AFAIK) other than the 'Ferris' (I believe this happened on the early Alamo 'Clerks' poster) and it did cause a backlash. If it happens too much than values will probably be effected in the longterm.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2011, 10:38:44 PM »
Oh my God!  I am standing in line at the opening of Crazy 4 Cult and it is an Absolute madhouse.  It's so hot in here.  100s of people.  I don't know why I'm here yet, don't know if I'm buying anything, but I just didn't want to miss out.  Meanwhile, my wife is cooking at home, wondering why she married such a nerd.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2011, 03:12:27 PM »
Oh my God!  I am standing in line at the opening of Crazy 4 Cult and it is an Absolute madhouse.  It's so hot in here.  100s of people.  I don't know why I'm here yet, don't know if I'm buying anything, but I just didn't want to miss out.  Meanwhile, my wife is cooking at home, wondering why she married such a nerd.

What did you get?  The Expressos are going bananas!  I like these:

Patrick Awa - True Romance

Max Dalton - Holy Grail (can you find the holy grail?)

Eric Tan - George BTTF

Lewbowski rug - artist?

« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 03:13:00 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2011, 04:05:16 PM »
I got that BTTF, of course, and Twin Peaks and Suspiria prints.  I probably missed out on some stuff, but I had to get out of nerd town.

T

My Personal Collection

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2011, 10:23:41 PM »
Yeah, I wanted the Twin Peaks but it sold out.  Maybe it will spill over to Ebay for a reasonable price.  It's a bit too serious for such a quirky show - especially the tag line - and it's too small at 18x24.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 10:26:07 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2011, 01:01:31 AM »
TWIN PEAKS.
I hate to be too critical, but that is the worst of these pseudo-poster things I have seen yet.
Why would any collector of art want to buy this?
I am totally perplexed.
Am I missing something?
 mesmrized
Educate me, please.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2011, 10:46:59 AM »
TWIN PEAKS.
I hate to be too critical, but that is the worst of these pseudo-poster things I have seen yet.
Why would any collector of art want to buy this?
I am totally perplexed.
Am I missing something?
 mesmrized
Educate me, please.

The poster is not exceptional but it is the first collage I've seen for one of the greatest TV series ever.  So you gotta go with what's available.

Bruce

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
Saying "The poster is not exceptional" is like saying "Casey Anthony was not a good mother".

Bruce

guest8

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2011, 11:00:29 AM »
I agree, I was really unimpressed with everything they had to offer at the C4C show this year .. It all seems like prints Ive already seen or some artist ripping off the character/collage style that made TS famous .. Now that True Romance made me look twice just because I love that movie but it reminds me too much of Rich Kellys work, which Im not that crazy about .. Really just a lack-luster show all around (IMHO) :)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2011, 12:05:45 PM »
The poster is not exceptional but it is the first collage I've seen for one of the greatest TV series ever.  So you gotta go with what's available.

No offense, Mel, but what does that mean?
In your first post, you say that it's "too serious" and "too small."
I agree on both counts.
Then you say it "is not exceptional."
That is too kind.

Then you say, "you gotta go with what's available."
This I really don't understand.
Are you dehydrated and dying for a sip of water? 
Why does anyone 'gotta go' with anything available? Do you really need this 'thing?'
I don't get it...
I know that us poster collectors are an eccentric lot, but if we buy up every piece of crap companies like this produce, we do a disservice to those really good artists out there struggling to make a living.

I really, really liked this series a lot and I love everything Lynch does. 
And as an artist himself, I'd be surprised if Lynch gave this thing his personal blessing.

By the way, it is not a 'collage.' It is closer to a 'montage.'
At best it's an uncreative and poorly rendered attempt to create a group shot.

Go ahead guys, skin me alive.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2011, 01:48:34 PM »
This poster is poorly rendered all the way around. Most of the actors look nothing like their true life counterparts and Kyle Maclachlan looks especially poor. I did manage to recognize Joan Chen, tho.

I also loved this show. True, it got lost in itself towards the end, but the casting, locations, and haunting score by Angelo Badalamenti, were all top notch.

This poor montage falls short on so many levels. Artistically, it fails, the composition is poorly executed. As Ted said, with so many great artists out there, why wasnt this project given to someone that could have created a truly inspirational and otherworldly image that was TWIN PEAKS?

It certainly isnt a "gotta have" piece. Not by a long shot. No doubt something much better will be put out, down the road.

At least the size is right to maybe line a litter box with?  puke

Jeff

-Jeff

guest8

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2011, 01:57:02 PM »
Just in case someones interested and meets the EB requirements to purchase from this thread ..Here is Hudsucker and BTTF for less than cost..
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?p=1084925#p1084925

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2011, 02:08:08 PM »
Just in case someones interested and meets the EB requirements to purchase from this thread ..Here is Hudsucker and BTTF for less than cost..
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?p=1084925#p1084925

Now, that HUDSUCKER PROXY by JC Richard is very, very nice.

Thanks for the link, Dave.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2011, 02:17:10 PM »
Even tho it was posted a while back, this is one BEAUTIFUL piece. Stunning, IMO.

Jeff

What I got tonight:

T

-Jeff