Author Topic: Fading: the facts  (Read 11162 times)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Fading: the facts
« on: February 28, 2011, 06:00:02 AM »
Was looking for a UV testing meter to check that any UV filtered plexi I might purchase is indeed as described eg 99% UV protection. If any one is interested, I found these which might be useful.

In my search for such a meter, I was shocked to discover this:

Source

Specifically, I thought if I got some plexi that had the highest filtering, I would virtually arrest any further fading. Fading caused by UV light apparently accounts for only 40% of the causes of fading. Protecting from normal light is also required, which is difficult, as some of us want to be able to see our posters.

From memory the cost of plexi virtually doubles going from 97% to 99% UV filtering. From the chart above, paying that difference seems such a waste now.

There are heaps of websites discussing this. Here are some I found:
Here are 2 case studies:
Ellen Carrlee Conservation 
Ukiyo-e Gallery

Some facts:
Because warm or moist conditions accelerate deterioration, temperature and relative humidity (RH) should not exceed 20C and 60%, respectively. Source
Temperature and humidity fluctuations should be held to less than 10 degrees & 15% respectively. Source

(That last source is a really interesting read).

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Fading: the facts
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 08:37:57 AM »
Great info, Steve.
Thanks for the post and the corresponding links!

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 01:45:12 PM »
This is enormously relevant to me...

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 03:57:57 PM »
Wow!!! I truly had no idea about the uselessness of UV filtering. I always thought UV filtering was the way to go...apparently not. Thanks for posting.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 04:10:27 PM »
So, let me get this straight... The hundred dollar conservation frames I bought are only protecting me from 10% of the fading?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 07:08:14 PM »
Thanks for this info, Steve.

One article Steve posted a link to, showed the results of an experiment, using a 19th C, Japanese wood block print, exposed to daylight, over a period of 6 months; it was divided into thirds, with 1/3 behind UV film, 1/3 unprotected and the 1/3 control section covered with foil. The experiment was extreme, as no one would (hopefully) place a print or poster on a wall that receives direct sunlight; the results were still astounding, especially in the assumed belief (by many) that UV plexiglass provides protection against all types of light. The UV-covered section appeared (to the naked eye) just as faded as the unprotected area. The test also used a modern reprint, which showed little effect from the sun's rays during the same length of time.

Translating this to film posters, it would suggest that older posters are more susceptible to noticeable fading, versus newer posters that have been printed on glossy paper with modern inks. But all works on paper are at risk from light, UV or otherwise.

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 09:19:28 PM »
Very interesting...I wonder about UV plexi though?

And for some reason I am not surprised the modern paper showed little to no change...
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 04:36:13 AM »
Since there is more recent talk about UV protection and how well UV plexi and films work, thought it might be helpful to bump this thread back to the first page. There is some good info here.

-Jeff

Thomsen

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 06:27:19 AM »
Yeah, it really ought to be made 'sticky'.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 07:39:33 AM »
Even though I agree, the poster should never be in direct sunlight.

But check this out.

Tru Vue Optimum Museum Plexi.

93% UV blocking, 96% light transmission, 2% reflection Optical

Almost $900 a sheet!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 10:06:37 AM »
Even though I agree, the poster should never be in direct sunlight.

But check this out.

Tru Vue Optimum Museum Plexi.

93% UV blocking, 96% light transmission, 2% reflection Optical

Almost $900 a sheet!

Have fun with that!  Is there really any need unless you are framing a $300,000 poster or $30,000,000 piece of art?
Chris

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 07:09:29 PM »
Bet thats what Jack Nicholson uses....he even has a Picasso or something in the bathroom lol

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 07:15:12 PM »
"Never waste a hard on and never hold a fart"-Jack Nicholson.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 10:29:43 PM »
An example of the results of UV and overall sunlight exposure:

All the reds have literally faded to orange (in addition to overall fading and color changes) on the top copy:

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:57:02 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 12:13:35 PM »
Bump.

:)

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 01:23:13 PM »
UV Plexi and ratings info:

Plexiglass Sheet - UV Filtering
Plexiglass sheet in Ultra Violet formulations reduces damaging UV lightwaves.

NOTES ON ULTRAVIOLET TRANSMITTANCE & Absorption/Filtering

General Purpose Plexiglas® sheet absorbs short wavelength ultraviolet (UV) energy, but transmits most of the long wavelength UV (those wavelengths just short of the visible region). The total UV energy absorbed is about 65%.

This unsurpassed UV stability gives General Purpose Plexiglas® MC and G sheet superb weatherability and makes it the logical choice among plastic materials for outdoor and artificial lighting applications. The absence of visible changes in Plexiglas sheet after prolonged outdoor or artificial light exposure means that no change has taken place in the spectrophotometric characteristics of the material in the ultraviolet and visible range. Plexiglas sheet exhibits an increase in UV absorbance caused by sunlight. Most of the drop in UV transmittance of Plexiglas sheet takes place in the first two years. Absolutely no change occurs in the spectrophotometric curves of these exposed samples between 5 and 10 years outdoors. Plexiglas MC acrylic sheet absorbs 65-70% of all UV rays as a standard spec.

Colorless General Purpose Plexiglas sheet exhibits the same excellent resistance to discoloration when exposed for 20 years or more to constantly lit fluorescent lamps, even when the Plexiglas sheet is only two inches from the lamp.

UV Filtering Plexiglas: Some applications, such as document preservation, call for a filter material that blocks more UV energy than ordinary glass but minimal visible light. Cell Cast acrylic Plexiglas G UF-3 and extruded Plexiglas MC UF-5 acrylic sheet absorbs 98% of all UV rays, as well as a small amount of visible light. Plexiglas G UF-4, developed for mercury vapor lighting applications, can also be used as a protective shield. Plexiglas G UF-4 sheet does transmit slightly more UV energy than Plexiglas® G UF-3 and Plexiglas MC UF-5 sheet.

ACRYLITE® UV filtering (OP-3) sheet is pure protection from the irreversible effects of UV damage. It protects from both natural and artificial light. Continuously-manufactured ACRYLITE UV filtering (OP-3) sheet filters out 98 percent of damaging UV rays, protecting paper-borne artwork, prints and documents from fading, yellowing and brittling. ACRYLITE sheet’s UV protection is part of the structure of the sheet, it can’t scratch off!

ACRYLITE® OP-2 sheet guaranteed defect free with a high UV filtering and a crystal clear edge, this cell cast sheet is the clear choice for museum vitrines. Easily fabricated, edges can be mitered and cemented for strong nearly invisible joints. It can be thermoformed, cold-formed, screen printed and painted. This product is also available with an abrasion and chemical resistant coating upon request.

ePlastics stocks UV Filtering plexiglass in 1/8" and 1/4" thickness for protecting fine art and building custom museum vitrines.

Thickness tolerances are plus/minus 10% on acrylic sheet. Thickness can vary throughout the sheet. Normally we see plus/minus 5% or less differences. Use this list as a guide converting fractions to what is actually produced industry-wide.

1/8" = .118" = 3mm
3/16" = .177" = 4.5mm
1/4" = .236" = 6mm

from : http://www.eplastics.com/Plexiglass_Acrylic_Sheet_UV_Filter

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 11:35:26 PM »
I have the Acrylite OP-3 for all my stuff.  Very good quality.  Having them fancy windows with UV filtering helps also, if there is a lot of sunlight (especially direct sunlight).  The type and amount of indoor light is also important.

Here's one trick I learned to test whether acrylic or glass is UV filtering.   Use something like a driver's license with holograms that can be seen under a black light and put the license on one side of the acrylic or glass and a black light on the other side.  If the hologram can not be seen with the black light on one side of the acrylic/glass, then the acrylic/glass is UV filtering.  I'm not sure if that's a well known way to test acrylic/glass, but I figured I'd add that here.  8)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 11:38:29 PM »
I have the Acrylite OP-3 for all my stuff.  Very good quality.  Having them fancy windows with UV filtering helps also, if there is a lot of sunlight (especially direct sunlight).  The type and amount of indoor light is also important.

Here's one trick I learned to test whether acrylic or glass is UV filtering.   Use something like a driver's license with holograms that can be seen under a black light and put the license on one side of the acrylic or glass and a black light on the other side.  If the hologram can not be seen with the black light on one side of the acrylic/glass, then the acrylic/glass is UV filtering.  I'm not sure if that's a well known way to test acrylic/glass, but I figured I'd add that here.  8)

A good to know "trick" Brandon.   thumbup

Cheers.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015, 01:06:12 PM »
More on 'The Fade,' started by Steve, way back in 2011.  clap clap clap clap

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 01:06:47 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015, 01:53:50 PM »
Ugh, rereading this just makes me sick to my stomach.  It seems like there is little one can do to protect the color of your posters indefinitely.  I just do the best I can, I guess (i.e. keep it out of direct sunlight and at a distance from direct lamp-light).  Other than that, you just got to let it go, I suppose.  Everything fades.