Author Topic: 'Exit Through the Gift Shop' SS Canadian vs DS US version  (Read 4775 times)

agentprovocateur

'Exit Through the Gift Shop' SS Canadian vs DS US version
« on: February 25, 2011, 11:12:53 AM »
Ahhh why is nothing ever simple!

I just purchased what is supposedly an authentic single sided 'Exit Through the Gift Shop' one sheet. On their website they said it was original and when I emailed them querying this I was told that it was an original from a cinema. It was stated on the site that the poster was 27"x40" (68.58cm x 101.6cm) but when it turned up the height was only 39".

Below are various photos of the single sided version compared to the double sided US version (I purchased this when the film came out and am 99% sure it's a legit double sided version), note the difference in height, typeface, layout and logos. When I emailed saying I was really perturbed with these differences they said that the single sided version was probably Canadian as the ratings box is not on it.

I have since done some research and found out 'Mongrel' did distribute the film in Canada but am still perturbed this might be a bootleg.

Size and colour comparision (single sided version, left) - shorter in length and much brighter colours

Typeface and layout comparison (single sided version, left) - different typeface and layout

Credits and logos comparison (single sided version, top) - different typeface, information, layout and logos

Has anyone else seen a single sided Canadian version? It'd be good to get a photo to compare with my version with.

Also, do Canadian one sheet sizes differ from US versions, or should they be the same? My version is 27" wide but only 39" tall!

Any help would be muchly apprecaied :)

AP

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: 'Exit Through the Gift Shop' SS Canadian vs DS US version
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 12:03:28 PM »
Is this movie really all that good?  I own the DS poster above, just because I like to be a part of things, but I really don't know anything about Banksy or the movie.  Will it win on Sunday night?  Is it worth seeing?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 12:21:29 PM »
Is this movie really all that good?  I own the DS poster above, just because I like to be a part of things, but I really don't know anything about Banksy or the movie.  Will it win on Sunday night?  Is it worth seeing?

T

I've wondered the same thing. Just watched the trailer, but the preview isn't all that inspiring.
Like T asks, "Is it worth seeing?"

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 03:08:14 PM »
It's well worth a watch IMO. The character at the centre of the film is unique, that's for sure, and it's definitely an excellent film to watch for anyone who's ever asked 'is that really art?'
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 03:14:40 PM »
Credits and logos comparison (single sided version, top) - different typeface, information, layout and logos

I don't know if this will help any, but take a close look at the copyright symbol.  American one sheets always use the 'c' in a true circle.  On the the top (single-sided poster), the 'c' is in an oval. I think I have seen this done this way on a few Canadian posters in the past.
Just a thought.

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 08:01:10 PM »

T

Its definitely worth a watch.

agentprovocateur

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 07:36:36 AM »
Thanks Brude.

The film's cool, probably a love it or loath it type thing tho. As Ed said the main character is quite unique!

I would love it to win, but it's probably a bit too anti-establishment for most of the voters.

Fingers crossed tho :)

agentprovocateur

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 09:40:27 AM »
Banksy's been having a bit of fun round LA pre-Oscars...

Crayon Boy

Charlie Burn

Dog Wizz

CEW

Billboard

Elephant

;D

ps but seriously, if anyone has any more info. on the Canadian one sheet it'd be muchly appreciated.

agentprovocateur

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 10:36:33 AM »
Done a bit more sleuthing and it all looks cool ;D

Went to the 'Mongrel' website http://www.mongrelmedia.com/press_info/?id=1824 and found a download for the poster:

http://www.mongrelmedia.com/data/ftp/Exit%20Through%20The%20Gift%20Shop/BANKSY_ian_fin%20(2).jpg

The actual poster image from the 'Mongrel' site:

Matched perfectly and when you look at the size in pro it's 27"x39".

Phew!

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 06:29:18 AM »
Finding the download on the site is great but wouldn't that also mean that it could used to make reprints?

agentprovocateur

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 08:31:50 AM »
Good point... and I'd agree the file could be used for printing a dodgy/bootleg copy. The download file is 27"x39" @ 150dpi so a pretty good resolution to be working from.

The good thing is there are quite a few obstacles you'd need to get past before people would be fooled, below I've posted a few details of the 'mongrel' download to highlight my points:

i. '.jpg' artifacts - because this is a low resolution version saved as a '.jpg' there is pixel 'damage' to the image, see the black horizontal line on the bridge of the man's nose and on the top of his shoulder. To print this full size the file's resolution would have to be doubled (to 300dpi) which would accentuate the 'damaged' pixels, only careful blurring would get rid of this but then the problem would be the image is noticeably softer (more out of focus).

ii. jagged typography - the typography has not been what is called 'anti aliased' when the low resolution '.jpg' was created. As you can see in the detail below the letter forms do not have the totally smooth edges that appear when printed. This cannot be rectified with a small amount of blurring (as the typography must look pin sharp to be authentic) so the bootlegger would have to remove all the typography and then reapply it in exactly the same position. By doing this the typography is never going to be perfect so the person recreating it might have to add some of the background image back in causing differences.

iii. logos and small type - these images highlight both points above again, the logos and typography would have to be removed and replaced exactly. The 'Elephant' and 'mongrel' logos clearly show the '.jpg' artifacts again. The small type is not totally pin sharp on the download so when the increased resolution is complete it would look very dodgy. Similarly with the title text at the bottom, there are more 'damaged' pixels in the letter forms that would have to be removed, not taking into account the fuzzier edges when blown up.

The poster I got has all the quotes pin sharp and perfectly smooth, some of the logos are not perfect (similar to the ones on the 'Starry Glasses' US 1s fly poster) but the 'mongrel' logo is smooth and very sharp. Interestingly the '© 2010 Paranoid Pictures Film Company Limited' text is blurry on the version I have, but if you notice on the download file it looks fuzzy compared to the other typography.

I might have to get one of the reprints from the 'moviepostershop' to compare their dodgy version with the one I have. Would be interesting to see if there's a difference!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dismissing someone could produce a poster from this file, all I'm saying it should be noticeable if they do.

Let me know what you think!

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 08:53:56 AM »
I think you bring up some good points and I'm sure the one you have is original, well you've convinced me anyway!

agentprovocateur

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 08:55:19 AM »
Here's the same details from the 'mongrel' download after I increased the resolution to 300dpi in Photoshop. This highlights the problems someone would have when trying to print from this file.

Professional 'blowing up' software has been mentioned that is probably better than simply increasing the resolution, but I'm pretty sure there'd still be a loss of quality in the background image and the typography/logos would still need to be replaced as there'd still be blurry.

i. '.jpg' artifacts - horizontal line on bridge of nose and more blurry.

ii. jagged typography - this becomes quite obvious (as well the '.jpg' artifacts).

iii. logos and small type - as above.

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 06:40:55 PM »
I own the DS poster above

kept that quite...