Author Topic: A late introduction  (Read 7490 times)

Disheveledamethyst

A late introduction
« on: February 23, 2011, 04:40:40 PM »
I feel a little like the guy at the party that nobody seems to know but has an awful lot to say. Since I hate being that guy, I would like to introduce myself even though I've already eaten all the Ritz and accidentally let the cat out of the master bedroom.

My name is Anthony.

I didn't start collecting movie posters until 2009 when I got a job working at a small movie theatre in my town. While the greatest privilege went to the two assistant managers, the staff was more or less allowed to bring home any poster they wanted as long as it was handled diplomatically and fairly. After a few months I was offered a job as a projectionist and my privilege over posters was increased.

Long story short, I was naive and thought that every piece of paper that came into the theatre was rare and valuable memorabilia. I amassed a surplus of useless paper that I was trying to sell on eBay for $20, $30, $40 a piece and obviously didn't make a penny. I was embarrassed and discouraged and threw most of the posters away and from then on only took home posters that I personally wanted.

Two years later I'm the new assistant manager and movies are still a very big part of my life. I have always liked animation, but the more informed I became about film the more passionate I became about the medium. Among the staff everybody seems to be an expert about something and for me that's animation. It's my niche. And naturally, I collect posters from animated movies. I only collect the poster if I truly loved the movie and so my collection is put together very selectively. It is small, but it's something I enjoy a great deal and I buy one or two posters a month if I find the one(s) I'm looking for.

Like James Bond and the like, animation is very "collectible". I've been working my way backwards through the timeline, of course making the posters more difficult to acquire. Having squeezed eBay and my known websites dry, I eventually found myself here.

While I haven't found any of the posters I'm looking yet, I've found a type of community I didn't realize existed. I'm surrounded by people more sophisticated and educated than myself and have learned a lot just from eavesdropping on everybody at the punch bowl. I have very little to offer the community (I didn't even bring solo cups) but hope to become a bigger and maybe recognizable part of it.

I swear I was invited. Great party, guys.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: A late introduction
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 05:05:47 PM »
What a great job Anthony, I wish I had a job I enjoyed.

It's good to see you have learned the most important rule of collecting, just collect what you like. Don't collect for profit.

I'm sure you will have plenty of knowledge and insight working at the job you do, It's great to have you at the punch bowl, though at time's it's been like the Punch-up bowl around here...  ;D     Just feel free to offer an opinion, or ask anything, there's some very tuned in people on this Board.

Cheers,     Paul. 
It's more than a Hobby...

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 05:15:06 PM »
Oh yeah, I love my job. If I didn't I wouldn't be here. While I get 40 hours the pay isn't that great and the parent-company does everything as cheaply as possible. The equipment I have to work with is all sub-standard and we're required to be understaffed at all times. Our payroll was 44% higher in 2006, when attendance was 21% lower. What's up with that?

But really, working in a theatre at such a pivotal part of my life (college) has really shaped me as a person. And a collector, of course.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 05:24:21 PM »
Welcome Anthony!
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 05:24:31 PM »
I do think it's a sign of the times, company's doing things on the cheap. Wages, a similar thing, I was earning more 5 years ago, the difference is, it's the money that keeps me working where I do not the love of the job. Still it keeps me in posters... ;D  
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 07:19:05 PM »
Nice to meet you, Anthony!
I am also an animation fan (as many of us here are) and my taste runs with the newer CGI films, like Pixar, Dreamworks, etc.
I still appreciate the old school, hand-drawn animation, especially the films of Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli.
Glad to have you aboard.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 08:05:27 PM »
Welcome Anthony!

Best,
Adam
Best wishes,
Adam

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 09:12:05 PM »
@Brude,

That's where I started. I only have two posters that aren't CG animation, which are Who Framed Roger Rabbit and The Iron Giant. I'm an avid Pixar fan, but my love of animation extends as far back as I remember. I currently spend day and night trying to find Finding Nemo posters, which for whatever reason, do not want to be found.

I've found two or three on eBay that have been on eBay for like two years at over $200, but I'll never pay that much.

I only have 27 Movie posters currently in my collection. 22 are computer animation. 19 are Pixar posters.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=41220&id=100000333544580&l=e65d56712c

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 09:37:56 PM »
Nice selection, Anthony.  You are off to a great start.  thumbup

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 10:04:38 PM »
Thanks. :P

Like I said, modest and selective.

Offline Harry Caul