Author Topic: Befores and Afters  (Read 3348 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Befores and Afters
« on: February 15, 2011, 04:56:08 PM »
With all the great poster images here on APF, I thought an interesting thread might be one that shows posters, that may have been in need of some ( a little or a lot) TLC, or those that simply were backed to lessen the appearance of fold lines and creases. And if folks want to "plug" the restorer that did their work, this would certainly be a method of recommendation, too. A start here. This is a Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande"" for the 1925 version of THE UNHOLY THREE, with work done by Poster Mountain, in Los Angeles. The French paper was highly acidic and brittle but I kept the restoration to a minimum, focusing on having the brown, "slow fire" acid fold marks removed as much as possible and the fold splits repaired, along with a general cleaning and the poster given a pH balancing bath.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 01:58:53 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Ogami_Itto

Re: Befores and Afters
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 05:06:54 PM »
wow! i gotta say i love that poster and the light restoration and lenin backing really turned out great

i am a huge tod browning fan i love Freaks and dracula. i am sad to say i have not seen the unholy 3 or the unknown, they are next on my list.

i dont have anything to contribute to the thread. i have not had anything restored yet the oldest poster i own is a half sheet for teenagers from outer space and its in pretty good shape. I had to jut tell you that is one Amazing poster!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 05:10:23 PM »
Great Idea for a thread Erik, Very nice poster as well. I'm looking forward to seeing what others have. pcorn
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 10:01:25 PM »
Great Idea for a thread Erik, Very nice poster as well. I'm looking forward to seeing what others have. pcorn

I second the motion.
That's a great piece of art, Erik!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 11:07:29 PM »
Not really a fan of bleaching. The bleach whitens the whites more than it fades the colors, giving it a false impression of awesomeness.

Not only is color being removed from the original, also the bleach being acidic further weakens the cellulose fibres, making the paper more brittle, thus decreasing its lifespan, even if followed with a PH balancing bath.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 12:28:27 AM »
Not really a fan of bleaching. The bleach whitens the whites more than it fades the colors, giving it a false impression of awesomeness.

Not only is color being removed from the original, also the bleach being acidic further weakens the cellulose fibres, making the paper more brittle, thus decreasing its lifespan, even if followed with a PH balancing bath.

I agree with you Steve. That's why the above poster was just washed of dirt and placed in a pH bath. I didnt want the colors to be faded as they are rather bright. The fold lines were lessened but can still be seen and i was not even going to consider having the large, white background area in-painted, to make it look new and like a freshly painted wall. For me, less is more.

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 12:45:04 AM »

I agree with you Steve. That's why the above poster was just washed of dirt and placed in a pH bath. I didnt want the colors to be faded as they are rather bright. The fold lines were lessened but can still be seen and i was not even going to consider having the large, white background area in-painted, to make it look new and like a freshly painted wall. For me, less is more.

Jeff

Sounds good Jeff, wasn't sure. So the first image shows shadows in the folds rather than foxing. Looks good. Have you displayed it since backing it?