Author Topic: Remember the Alamo : The Fight  (Read 12692 times)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
Remember the Alamo : The Fight
« on: February 10, 2011, 10:01:45 AM »
Wow, almost mid February and I've only bought 1 print from Alamo, Horkey's Dracula.  I've decided to be more discerning when it comes to prints, to stop buying everything in sight, and Mondo's latest offerings really help fulfill my goal.

Been there since the beginning.  Even of the prints I like, I purchase very few.  Many, if not most, are just not as good as 'real' movie posters. 

The Moss/Stout Star Wars art prints are perfect examples.  Nice, well done prints, but they simply don't stack up to Tom Jung's Star Wars Style A or Half-sheet, the Ohrai ESB Daybill and the Revenge of the Jedi Advance or even Struzan's triptych when properly displayed.  Not to mention the whole 'not part of an actual screening' thing.

"but, but, but the metallics really POP!!!..."

I dont know .. I can see the appeal to the horror/geek fans in Maniac .. MC2 is just too cartoony for me but it can be loved by the cult kiddie following ..and I happen to like Vigilante and if I hadnt told my self to stop buying prints for a little while Id prolly try and pick one up .. BUT that being said these dont measure up to a lot of other stuff Mondo had been producing .. if it was of the same caliber as some of the work done by Moss, Stout (some of his work Im not a huge TS fan boy) or anything Ansin .. I dont care how many prints Ive bought or havent bought Id be buying it !! ;)

When did this place become Twitter?  Prolly?  Seriously?  And say it with me - a·pos·tro·phe...

guest8

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 10:42:13 AM »

When did this place become Twitter?  Prolly?  Seriously?  And say it with me - a·pos·tro·phe...
I have more important things to worry about and other things I should be doing through out the day, to care so much about someone using correct grammar in an online forum ...

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 10:54:44 AM »
Been there since the beginning.  Even of the prints I like, I purchase very few.  Many, if not most, are just not as good as 'real' movie posters. 

The Moss/Stout Star Wars art prints are perfect examples.  Nice, well done prints, but they simply don't stack up to Tom Jung's Star Wars Style A or Half-sheet, the Ohrai ESB Daybill and the Revenge of the Jedi Advance or even Struzan's triptych when properly displayed.  Not to mention the whole 'not part of an actual screening' thing.

"but, but, but the metallics really POP!!!..."

I think as soon as you buy into the concept of Alamo's prints, or anyone else's prints, you have to give up on the comparison to "real" movie posters.  It just doesn't work.  For years, while everyone was chasing the Alamo prints, I ignored them because all I was interested in was theatrical release posters.  That was and remains perfectly fine.  Then, a few of the non-theatrical prints came out that I personally liked, and there you have it, another person buying these prints.  That's fine too.  It's nothing more than personal taste, which is what collecting is about regardless of theatrical or non-theatrical.

Now, while I too hate the phrase "the metallics really pop", it reminds me of a lot of the Japanese theatrical release posters that I have.  If I had to make a comparison, it would be to the many superb examples of Japanese printing.  Those posters often use holographics, thick high-quality paper, metallics and other cool printing techniques which is one of the reasons I like collecting them.  There are some that I appreciate simply because of the printing and nothing more.  Again, it's a matter of personal tastes.

Online jargon is irrelevant to me.  I read through it just the same.  It's so widespread that it seems useless to even complain about it.  I even use it sometimes, though I do usually catch myself.  What's the point in even caring about it.  I'd rather have online jargon and see and end to hateful and hurtful rhetoric.  If all slurs were replaced with the need to handle use of "prolly" and "lol", I'd be just fine with that.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 11:01:12 AM »
Do you know when you know you're getting old?  When your nephew sends you a text and you don't understand a freakin' word of it.  I kind of know it's his birthday and he wants money, but that's only because I read the word Birthday (anniversaire in French).

:)

Hey Ho, what's the ONE poster that made you plunge?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 06:41:08 PM »
I have more important things to worry about and other things I should be doing through out the day, to care so much about someone using correct grammar in an online forum ...

Good for you, still doesn't change the fact that it makes you look like a narcissistic idiot (which you may or may not be).  You should have at least some consideration for others in a semi-public forum such as this.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 07:34:23 PM »

Hey Ho, what's the ONE poster that made you plunge?

T

It was Tim Doyle's recent print for Blade Runner.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 08:10:05 PM »
Good for you, still doesn't change the fact that it makes you look like a narcissistic idiot (which you may or may not be).  You should have at least some consideration for others in a semi-public forum such as this.

That is fucking hilarious advice coming from the guy with the jerking-off scarecrow for an avatar. Don't pay any attention to this troll, Fallen. He's just here to antagonize the people who actually contribute to this forum.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 08:30:15 PM »

That is fucking hilarious advice coming from the guy with the jerking-off scarecrow for an avatar. Don't pay any attention to this troll, Fallen. He's just here to antagonize the people who actually contribute to this forum.

Really?   Dave already played the unrelated avatar diversion card, so now you're just being redundant.  Good thing that this forum has a White Knight to protect it, but at least you use an apostrophe...

As for being a 'troll', you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 09:38:08 PM »
Now, while I too hate the phrase "the metallics really pop", it reminds me of a lot of the Japanese theatrical release posters that I have.  If I had to make a comparison, it would be to the many superb examples of Japanese printing.  Those posters often use holographics, thick high-quality paper, metallics and other cool printing techniques which is one of the reasons I like collecting them.  There are some that I appreciate simply because of the printing and nothing more.  Again, it's a matter of personal tastes.

Online jargon is irrelevant to me.  I read through it just the same.  It's so widespread that it seems useless to even complain about it.  I even use it sometimes, though I do usually catch myself.  What's the point in even caring about it.  I'd rather have online jargon and see and end to hateful and hurtful rhetoric.  If all slurs were replaced with the need to handle use of "prolly" and "lol", I'd be just fine with that.

It's not that I hate the phrase, it's just that it's become such a tired cliche.  Sometimes, the metallics really do pop.  Sometimes, a good poster/print needs a bit more than that though...

As for the jargon, everything has a time and a place.  I can see it when IM'ing, texting, or whatever, but in a public setting it's nice if you can have some consideration for the audience or risk looking the fool (see the scarecrow, evidently).

guest8

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 10:12:11 PM »

Pay attention to whom ??? ;) That last post did actually make me LOL though :)

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 09:31:41 AM »
you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means

And he throws in a PRINCESS BRIDE quote  lol

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 09:46:16 AM »
I agree with Archie about the text speak outside of, well, texting.  I hate it when people use it on a forum because to my geriatric eyes it's like trying to decipher cuneiform.  That being said, Fallen's writing style doesn't bother me.  I've seen people not use ANY punctuation (making what they type one long run-on sentence), use numbers instead of words  hitself , or not put a space after a comma or period (pet peeve).  THAT annoys me

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 09:59:59 AM »
Should I remind you all that one of the two people who started this forum uses English as a second language.  So if Fallen has to be corrected, I should be crucified for countless mistakes.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 11:31:18 AM »
My friends roll their eyes, by I always use full capitalization and punctuation in forums, emails, skype and text messages... I use a few abbreviations now and again, but for the most part I'm a purist.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 11:44:05 AM »
The point is that Archie Leach/Jason gets on this board and mostly takes a sh*t on everything and everybody - the uber-killjoy.  He's apparently stuck in the anal stage, based on his comments in the last six months, to wit:

“narcissistic idiot” (Fallen Angel)

“Poorly drawn... Lousy design... Inappropriate color-scheme (green-blue)... “(Doyle)

“have yet to like anything Bertmer has done and this is no exception.” (Bertmer)

“BTW, anyone know if the posters for their new 'director series' for actual showings or are they just more 'tribute' crap?”  (Mondo)

“No matter how you frame it, it's still Luke taking a dump...” (“Luke’s Destiny”)

“Scumbag... and a shit artist to boot... “(Doyle)

“the dogshit of the movie poster collecting community.” (MoviePosterDB)

“It is going to be dogshit and the studio knows it...  the 'Nightmare on Elm Street Remake' release date is the dead giveaway....”  (The Thing Prequel)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 11:57:17 AM »
Hey Mel,

Can you move this to another thread?  Free expression is always a plus, but this is an Alamo thread.  If you want to have it out with Archie, you're more than welcome to do so, but somewhere else.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Remember the Alamo : The Fight
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 05:09:33 PM »
Oh, actually, my bad, this is not the Mondo thread.

Please carry on.

coffee
My Personal Collection

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 05:41:52 PM »
Oh, actually, my bad, this is not the Mondo thread.

Please carry on.

coffee

As long as we're having a fight party, Thierry, your English is freakishly polished for a non-native speaker.  "Prolly" all along it's been "abused wife" who has been posting in your name. So here's a tomato aimed at you pal:

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 05:59:21 PM »
Wouldn't it be great if this was BLOOD?

And Mel, Abused-wife, who just buried her 97 year old grandmother, has ZERO interest in posters.  I sometimes show her a response to a thread and she forces a smile.  She almost likes the Lakers better, and that says a lot.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 07:21:28 PM »
The point is that Archie Leach/Jason gets on this board and mostly takes a sh*t on everything and everybody - the uber-killjoy.  He's apparently stuck in the anal stage, based on his comments in the last six months, to wit:

“narcissistic idiot” (Fallen Angel)

“Poorly drawn... Lousy design... Inappropriate color-scheme (green-blue)... “(Doyle)

“have yet to like anything Bertmer has done and this is no exception.” (Bertmer)

“BTW, anyone know if the posters for their new 'director series' for actual showings or are they just more 'tribute' crap?”  (Mondo)

“No matter how you frame it, it's still Luke taking a dump...” (“Luke’s Destiny”)

“Scumbag... and a shit artist to boot... “(Doyle)

“the dogshit of the movie poster collecting community.” (MoviePosterDB)

“It is going to be dogshit and the studio knows it...  the 'Nightmare on Elm Street Remake' release date is the dead giveaway....”  (The Thing Prequel)

Cherry-picking out of context quotes... are you sure that you don't work for Fox News?

Calling this a fight is just plain silly.

I never said Fallen was a narcissistic idiot, I said that his writing style can make him look that way - "still doesn't change the fact that it makes you look like a narcissistic idiot (which you may or may not be)".  Big difference.

As for my other comments, so what?  Those targets deserve derision to some extent, particularly the scumbags at MoviePosterDB.

We've already been over this... there are plenty of happy duckies and bunnies that slap each other on the back all the time around here and there is nothing wrong with that, but I don't usually feel the need to add my voice to that choir, so, more often, the times that I am moved to actually make a post are those times that I feel a contrarian position is warranted.  Particularly, against the endless Alamo hype stream.  This makes 'my outlook' on these forums appear far darker than it actually is.

Now, the only one drawing this out, again, is Mel, which would actually make him the troll.  Anybody want a peanut?

I've long since dropped it with you, why don't you put away your sword and shield and do the same?

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 07:34:10 PM »

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 07:52:46 PM »
I personally have learned to enjoy the company of Archie. He brings some excitement, humor and truth to a lot of threads. Some post are negative and I have had it out with him on the past but he is not afraid to speak his mind, which I respect.

As far as the online jargon, it does not bother me one bit. It's a forum not a english composition competition.

Cj

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 08:45:51 PM »
                        Brude the Instigatorpcorn

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 10:00:04 PM by brude »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 09:51:32 PM »
I personally have learned to enjoy the company of Archie. He brings some excitement, humor and truth to a lot of threads. Some post are negative and I have had it out with him on the past but he is not afraid to speak his mind, which I respect.

As far as the online jargon, it does not bother me one bit. It's a forum not a english composition competition.

I don't recall off-hand our dust up, but it was prolly over on MPF... that being the case, I am glad the APF fresh start program worked out.

As for Brude...

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 12:17:09 AM by archie leach »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 10:23:55 PM »
hahaha...