Author Topic: Is it worth Linen backing posters  (Read 39817 times)

dchantry

Is it worth Linen backing posters
« on: February 02, 2011, 09:09:05 AM »
I have a large collection of Bond posters from OHMSS onwards and have been thinking about getting them linen backed.
Now a few years ago when I looked at this, people seemed to think it was worth it, but I've been speaking to a few collectors who are now saying that originality is best and that I should try and keep them this way and save £100 per poster.

Any thoughts out there?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Is it worth Linen backing posters
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 11:26:13 AM »
Linen backing definitely has its place... namely, when posters are badly damaged and/or deteriorating with handling.  However, a lot of people still do it mainly for cosmetic reasons (e.g. to hide foldlines or normal aging).  That said, the longer I collect, the less I find myself turning to that option unless absolutely necessary.

If the folds really bother you and you are going to be displaying them for the long term, I think it boils down to a personal preference.  However, if you are collecting them and they will be neatly tucked away, I don't see any reason to back them unless they will deteriorate without it.

That is my $0.02. 

P.S. I just started collecting Bond quads so you if you have any doubles... let me know!

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 11:27:32 AM »
If you do not plan on displaying, I would not back them. Backing for framing or paper preservation (poster falling apart) only, is the recommendation I would give.

dchantry

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 11:35:05 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys.

Harry, I just sent you an email with a list of posters I have for sale which includes Bond Quads.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 11:41:56 AM »
Even if displaying I still wouldn't back them, as long as they are in good condition. Linen backing as Harry says has it's place, and that place is for posters that need help...    Any that are in good nick leave well alone.

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 01:16:33 PM »
I agree for the most part.  If it needs backing to survive or to fix serious flaws then that's ok by me. 

If it is in nice presentable condition already, I think it is tragic to back most posters.  I will never fully understand the "backing to remove the fold lines" argument?

But this is certainly a source of endless debate amongst collectors.
Chris

the chip guy

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 09:11:51 PM »
Does anyone have before and after pictures of a linen backed poster? I have a couple folded B2's that could use a lot of love. They would be hangers for sure but the lines are so unsightly.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 09:30:08 PM »
Does anyone have before and after pictures of a linen backed poster? I have a couple folded B2's that could use a lot of love. They would be hangers for sure but the lines are so unsightly.

Here is my Blonde Sinner poster before and after linen-backing:

the chip guy

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 09:37:59 PM »
WOW!!!! Mel, thats outstanding! Do you mind if I ask how much it cost you?

My sperm could use a little love..........

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 09:41:03 PM »
The folds will be completely flattened out, however minor touching up with pencil might be required to cover any white showing thru any fold edge cracks

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 09:51:06 PM »
WOW!!!! Mel, thats outstanding! Do you mind if I ask how much it cost you?

Didn't cost me anything.  I bought it already linen-backed.  I just happen to have a "before" picture of it from the prior seller.

By the way, yours does not need linen-backing.  Those folds on your poster are normal and perfectly acceptable.  Linenbacking usually costs $150+ and should only be used to repair significantly damaged posters IMHO.

the chip guy

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 05:40:13 PM »
Thanks for the honest advice Mel. I'm still kind of shocked how accepting the movie poster community is of folded posters, I was begged to buy that B2 sperm poster and I only paid $15 shipped for it..... a rolled B2 would sell for $200-$350 easy depending on condition.

Thanks
Jon.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 07:02:50 PM »
Linenbacking usually costs $150+ and should only be used to repair significantly damaged posters IMHO.

Linen backing is not just for significantly damaged posters but also for posters in good condition to conserve them from turning into significantly damaged posters.

It seems mostly to be movie poster collectors, not advertising poster collectors, some who voice their strong dislike over linen backing. Likely only due to much more fraud involving linen backing in the movie poster circle. Linen backing itself is not so bad, its has a purpose in conserving an item by slowing down its inevitable disintegration/tearing. I know I would rather a backed poster than a ripped poster.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 07:28:01 PM »
Linen backing itself is not so bad, its has a purpose in conserving an item by slowing down its inevitable disintegration/tearing.

For posters not in need of restoration... I think we can all agree that linen backing has its place as an aesthetic preference.  Some may choose it, some may not.

However, if stored and handled correctly, I don't think you can claim that a poster will disintegrate slower if it is linen-backed rather than left unbacked.  That seems like quite a stretch!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 12:07:06 PM »
I have some posters that are 60/70 years old, they have made it this far and are in good nick without linen backing, why would I do it now if they don't need it! I'd rather buy another poster than pay for linen backing.

I have just bought a poster from a friend of mine who had it backed 4/5 years ago. there was nothing wrong with it, he just wanted to display it. it cost him £125 inc the postage to send it to Studio "C". He displayed it for around about a year, put it away, and then a few years later sold me it. What a waste of money, he even agree's it was a waste, but he now know's better. It's called experience.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 02:55:14 PM »
I have some posters that are 60/70 years old, they have made it this far and are in good nick without linen backing, why would I do it now if they don't need it! I'd rather buy another poster than pay for linen backing.

I have just bought a poster from a friend of mine who had it backed 4/5 years ago. there was nothing wrong with it, he just wanted to display it. it cost him £125 inc the postage to send it to Studio "C". He displayed it for around about a year, put it away, and then a few years later sold me it. What a waste of money, he even agree's it was a waste, but he now know's better. It's called experience.

Waste of money?  I think that really depends on what he sold it to you for Paul ;)
Chris

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 02:56:08 PM »
Waste of money?  I think that really depends on what he sold it to you for Paul ;)

He he..very wise....

Stew

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 04:14:18 PM »
I got it for a very reasonable price.  ;) ;D

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 05:27:10 PM »
For posters not in need of restoration... I think we can all agree that linen backing has its place as an aesthetic preference.  Some may choose it, some may not.

However, if stored and handled correctly, I don't think you can claim that a poster will disintegrate slower if it is linen-backed rather than left unbacked.  That seems like quite a stretch!

Handling issues I think it more applies to old rolled posters, rather than folded, as with rolled posters every time you handle you greatly risk edge damage or tears. I have pulled some out only to find big tears, when I think I am as delicate as possible. With folded posters, by the time you realise the folds are getting a bit brittle, you then get it backed, you probably wont realise, but during the backing process some of these square sections will have easily seperated away leaving your poster that would have gone up in one peice, now in many peices.

Wondering, folded posters seem to get browner as they age on the edges and folds. If linen backed I wonder if that would help in some way?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 01:43:03 AM »
They shouldn't go Brown if stored properly. Away from light, and anything that will contaminate them, temperature also plays quite a significant roll. I keep my poster room as cool as possible, and in darkness. I store the majority of my posters flat, so even one's that were rolled are easy to handle.

Storage is the key to keeping posters in good nick, not Linen backing.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 06:59:01 AM »
Unless you maintain your posters in museum conditions, posters will get brittle, breakup then turn to dust. The better posters will end up on linen on their journey to dust.

Unfortuantely I can't store my posters flat as no space (they are in either tubes or folded in boxes). I also have no access to a cool place so they are exposed to temperatues 8-35 degrees. I think Ari can relate to this with his poster shed.

Linen backing suits me, luckily it costs me very little, thru a sweet arrangement (build/maintain website=linen backing). They get mounted on thicker (more rigid) linen than that normal used in USA or Europe.

Every time you take a poster out of flat filing system or tubes to put them up for display you run the risk of handling damage. If linen backed, there is little risk eg of tearing/edge damage/kinks. It also actually encourages me to put them up for display, for me and others to enjoy as they are not delicate to handle.

People have different views on linen backing, and clearly there is no right or wrong. The issue hasn't been resolved to date. I offer my opinion, others will have the complete opposite of course.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 11:34:14 AM »
The one other thing with linen backing is Value!! most of the predominant dealers/collectors say unrestored, unbacked posters are the way to go, as this is where the bigger money will be...

Well in my experience it seems, linen backed posters always go for that little bit more. I know that no one can predict the future, but I say this will always be the case. It has been for the past several years, and I don't see a change in buying habits!

Maybe some of the bigger sellers could give a bit of insight. Bruce, Rich, Phil, Terry, and any of the others. I'm great at buying, not so good with selling. So it would be good to hear how things are from that side of the fence.

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 02:19:23 PM »
The growth and popularity of linen-backing in the 1980's and 1990's was principally, in my view, a result of dealer demand. Such posters were easier to handle/display/sell and significant defects could be "hidden" in the restoration process to add value. Conservation was not really an influencing factor. Now, many collectors maintain the principal reason for linen-backing their posters is to conserve them even though no museum of any repute would allow their conservators to linen-back their valuable paper items.

I occasionally linen back one sheet and larger sized posters if I intend to display them on a long term basis; for handling and viewing convenience in the case of very large sizes; if they are old and brittle. Otherwise, I keep all my unframed posters in mylar pockets, which cost a fraction of linen-backing, in flat drawer plan chests. There is no risk of damage from handling, fold lines flatten out, the poster is safe from adverse environmental factors and most importantly it retains its original form.

I rarely buy a linen-backed poster unless it is old or rare and will always seek to buy (and pay more for) a non-backed poster, unfolded if possible, in the best possible condition.   

Mark

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 02:26:19 PM »
Well said Mark, though I'm still sure LB posters go for more than non-backed. What say those dealers?

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 02:35:19 PM »
Mark..if i could just ask a general question and it isn`t directed at you to provide the answer.. from reading the various replies to this thread..all i can gather is that, yes,if you want a total restoration job done on any poster etc..linen backing as an extra,is good, however it is an add on..but for most collectors,there really is no benefit other than paying an extra £150 for the privelage of buying a poster anyone might want ?

Anyones more experienced info(other than mine) would be welcome.

Stew