Author Topic: Astor Theater  (Read 8200 times)

guest8

Astor Theater
« on: February 01, 2011, 03:33:19 PM »
Anyone pick up Doyles newest Apocalypse Now Posters!!??

I tried to get them from the store but TG's was all jacked up .. made me miss a Mondo drop! :P Thankfully Doyle had them on his site as well and I was able to snag both !! :D

guest158

Re: Astor Theater
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 03:40:51 PM »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 04:23:17 AM »
Anyone pick up Doyles newest Apocalypse Now Posters!!??

I tried to get them from the store but TG's was all jacked up .. made me miss a Mondo drop! :P Thankfully Doyle had them on his site as well and I was able to snag both !! :D

Poorly drawn... Lousy design... Inappropriate color-scheme (green-blue)... Missing the central character... Yup, it's a Doyle...

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 05:36:56 PM »

Poorly drawn... Lousy design... Inappropriate color-scheme (green-blue)... Missing the central character... Yup, it's a Doyle...

I am not really a huge fan of this one myself.  So much can be done with AN and its long litany of characters, and this one falls short.  Though to his credit the green/blue version is the variant, not the main print run.  The orange and red works pretty well and is a good color scheme choice here.  Personally though, it would have been pretty sick if he used only the colors that can be found in one of those cammo compacts, maybe with the green as a metallic.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 06:00:13 PM »
Agreed.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 10:09:27 PM »
I am not really a huge fan of this one myself.  So much can be done with AN and its long litany of characters, and this one falls short.  Though to his credit the green/blue version is the variant, not the main print run.  The orange and red works pretty well and is a good color scheme choice here.  Personally though, it would have been pretty sick if he used only the colors that can be found in one of those cammo compacts, maybe with the green as a metallic.
Isn't that similar to the Southern Comfort print that came out a while back?  But you're right, that would make for a much better combo.

Karza

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 03:41:30 PM »
2001 is up on the Tommy Good site

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 07:33:55 PM »
Yeah, I wasn't going to get it because of the size (16x26in, a little too small IMO) and then decided to give it a try.

We shall see.

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 10:57:30 PM »
Sorry, but that ridiculous-looking money killed it for me.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 03:10:16 AM »
I don't see anything wrong with the monkey.  It looks very much like Kubrick's monkeys.  Besides, the print was cheap enough to give it a try.

T
My Personal Collection

Ogami_Itto

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 11:16:40 AM »
i ordered a reg i wanted the variant. T that large pic you posted makes me like the poster less i hope it's because its a jpeg. looks too microsoft painty to me.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 10:02:56 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with the monkey.  It looks very much like Kubrick's monkeys. 

To quote Archie:

Kubrick's monkeys are fine.  Doyle's monkey sucks wind.  It's too cartoony.  There are some images that should be left alone.  Those from 2001 are among them, I think.  Doyle did Blade Runner very well, and he's got one or two others that are cool. Beyond that, he misses the mark I think.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.