Author Topic: What's on your walls?  (Read 544474 times)

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
Re: What's on your walls?
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2010, 10:43:12 PM »
That's cool, CJ.  Those boxes look excellent, like they were professionally made.  How much did the raw materials cost for each, around $250?  If so, building one myself would be a good way to save a few Benjamin Franklins.  You guys have inspired me to look into building my own!   :D

Sorry Neo for not answering your question sooner. The materials for the boxes cost somewhere between $250.00 - $300.00. It is well worth building them yourself compared to what is out there in that price range.

Cj

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2010, 11:33:20 PM »
I apologize in advance for any glares or blurry pictures.  Looking at whats on my walls its pretty easy to see what I am into...

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj147/cjwash/Movie%20Posters/?albumview=slideshow

Very nice collection, CJ138....especially like the CREEPSHOW UK Quad by Berni Wrightson.  Good stuff all around!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2010, 01:39:28 AM »
Sorry Neo for not answering your question sooner. The materials for the boxes cost somewhere between $250.00 - $300.00. It is well worth building them yourself compared to what is out there in that price range.

Cj

No problem man.  I hear ya about the others that are in that price range, they're not exactly great.  The one from Stargate Cinema looks pretty good, for about 5 Benjamin Franklins.  It's made out of aluminum, which looks cool, and has some nice features.

I apologize in advance for any glares or blurry pictures.  Looking at whats on my walls its pretty easy to see what I am into...

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj147/cjwash/Movie%20Posters/?albumview=slideshow

That is the best looking framed horror collection I've seen.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 03:16:06 AM by NeoLoco »

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2010, 08:13:07 AM »
Ohh not too many of those Nightmare quads floating around out there ..
As of right now that is my most prized poster! It took me a long time to find.

Some good horror posters displayed CJ138. Welcome to APF!
Cj
Thanks CJ, I love your Inglorious Basterds lightbox setup!

Very nice collection, CJ138....especially like the CREEPSHOW UK Quad by Berni Wrightson.  Good stuff all around!
The Creepshow quad is a very close second to the NOES, thanks Brude!
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2010, 08:26:12 AM »

That is the best looking framed horror collection I've seen.
[/quote]
Thanks Neo!

guest8

« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2010, 08:25:04 PM »
Ive been missing Mel around here so I had a framing party today .. I got up early and went to see Wall Street 2 at the 10am showing and happened to notice the new SAW poster and I have to say I thought it was pretty nifty .. It was the #D "Punding Heart" poster for anyone who cares to look it up .. SO I got to thinking of all the pieces I have that are just filed away and decided I was gonna "Go Mel" on my theater room .. So I went out and spent like $300+ on some frames and acid free foam core .. and here are some shots of my framing aftermath ;)

Not sure how I want to hang all of the art/non-movie pieces yet .. So they are just hanging out in pure FA fashion :P

This is the beginning of my Alamo movie room !!

Heres the next wall to be conquered :P

More raw space that Im not quite sure what to do with yet ..

And I just love my 120" scren I had to get a shot of it in there with a couple more Alamos as well !! :)

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2010, 08:31:53 PM »
Some very nice Alamo's looking good framed.

guest8

« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
THANKS!! .. I need to redo the pics .. I didnt realize how crappy they came out until I posted them on here :-/

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2010, 09:24:36 PM »
This is awesome.  I can't wait to see them all up.  Very nice.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2010, 09:31:54 PM »
This is awesome.  I can't wait to see them all up.  Very nice.

T

The only issue Im having is all the odd sizes .. Id hate to spend $50-100+ plus on a frame for a poster I only paid $30-50 for :P So unless I get a "hook-up" with a framer or teach myself .. I dont know if any of the others that are not 24x36 or 18x24 will see the walls .. I was disappointed about the odd sizing issues I had with the Tatooine and Power Droid prints too .. If they hadnt bee slightly larger than advertised (24x36) theyd be on the walls now too ..

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2010, 10:08:41 PM »
Those Alamos really look good...Mel will be impressed...  thumbup
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 10:47:08 PM by brude »

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
The only issue Im having is all the odd sizes .. Id hate to spend $50-100+ plus on a frame for a poster I only paid $30-50 for :P So unless I get a "hook-up" with a framer or teach myself .. I dont know if any of the others that are not 24x36 or 18x24 will see the walls .. I was disappointed about the odd sizing issues I had with the Tatooine and Power Droid prints too .. If they hadnt bee slightly larger than advertised (24x36) theyd be on the walls now too ..

I know Spotlight Displays does custom frames for a decent price. Check them out if your interested. 90% of my frames are from them and I could not be happier.

Cj

guest8

« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2010, 08:06:09 AM »
Thanks Brude! Mel was glad to see that I have finally started showing off some of my posters and taking advantage of my wall real estate  !! ;)

CJ- I have thought about spotlight .. BUt I have been worried that even as cheap as they can be theyd be above the amount Id want to spend on these .. I bought 16 frames yesterday as well as new black acid free foam core for the backing and on average I spent just under $20 each .. Which to me for these thats an acceptable deal .. Anyone have any idea how much Spotlight frames are for smaller odd sizes in the area of 18x24 ??

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2010, 08:20:54 AM »
Wow, at first I was'nt a big fan of the Alamo poster style but after seeing them framed and displayed they look great.  Really awesome theater man!

guest8

« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2010, 10:31:54 AM »
Thanks "other CJ" ;) .. Im going to see if I can get some better pics so you can actually see some of the posters as well .. That picture just doesnt do them justice by any means ..

I ran into a big problem today though .. Sat down to watch Last of the Mohicans on the big screen and realized I have essentially mounted a wall of mirrors in my theater !!! So now I have to see what I can do to change these over to a non-glare material !! :(

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2010, 03:58:01 PM »
Thanks Brude! Mel was glad to see that I have finally started showing off some of my posters and taking advantage of my wall real estate  !! ;)

CJ- I have thought about spotlight .. BUt I have been worried that even as cheap as they can be theyd be above the amount Id want to spend on these .. I bought 16 frames yesterday as well as new black acid free foam core for the backing and on average I spent just under $20 each .. Which to me for these thats an acceptable deal .. Anyone have any idea how much Spotlight frames are for smaller odd sizes in the area of 18x24 ??

I would say somewhere around $40.00 for the 18x24 and they are non glare.

Cj

guest8

« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2010, 04:57:02 PM »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2010, 05:23:26 PM »
Those Alamos really look good...Mel will be impressed...  thumbup

Sweet Fallen...Very very nice.

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
Thanks "other CJ" ;) .. Im going to see if I can get some better pics so you can actually see some of the posters as well .. That picture just doesnt do them justice by any means ..

I ran into a big problem today though .. Sat down to watch Last of the Mohicans on the big screen and realized I have essentially mounted a wall of mirrors in my theater !!! So now I have to see what I can do to change these over to a non-glare material !! :(

I buy alot of frames from Sue Heim at hollywoodposters.  She offers non glare plexi with her frames maybe you could reach out to her. However you do it, I have a feeling it will not be cheap....but the end result will be awesome

Conor

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #119 on: October 10, 2010, 06:22:11 PM »
I buy alot of frames from Sue Heim at hollywoodposters.  She offers non glare plexi with her frames maybe you could reach out to her. However you do it, I have a feeling it will not be cheap....but the end result will be awesome

Conor

Ya I bought most of my frames from her. Maybe you could just get the non glare plexi.

guest8

« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
Yeah I have spoken to Sue .. She was actually the 1st fellow collector I ever spoke with .. and anytime I buy a frame that are larger than 24x36 I go to her .. Unfortunately you pay for quality ;) Plexi from her in the 24x36 size runs about $40+ which is still too much (IMO) .. Im not concerned about the UV protection so much because the theater room has almost no natural light .. Im considering getting some of the non-glare sheets used by spotlight .. it just depends on how much they come out to be .. and/or if they offer bulk discounts !! :)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2010, 07:57:44 PM »
This is a job for....'Mr. Ridiculous Idea'...

Why not use floor-to-ceiling black curtain on tracks down the sides of your theater?
This way, you cover up all those beauteous bad boys during movie watching.
Uncover 'em when you're done...
Voila!

Like I said, it's only an idea from 'Mr.Ridiculous Idea!'

guest8

« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2010, 10:49:37 PM »
LOL .. No joke, that thought had crossed my mind :P

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2010, 06:49:40 AM »
How about hanging the frames from string then go around flipping the frames to face the wall when movie starts

or hanging them from a string then at movie start, press a button and a machine lowers them to ground level

or have a tea towel rolled up above the frame and at movie start pull a tie and the tea towel drops down over it

Sweeney Todd

« Reply #124 on: October 18, 2010, 03:22:23 PM »
On my room's wall is this Thai poster, of one of the many movies depicting a kra-sue (or penanggalan), the famous female monster from Thailand, Hong Kong, Cambodia, Malaysia, the Philippines, etc.
It's just facing my bed and I sleep very well  ;D