Author Topic: Framing - DIY V Professional and 'Air Bubbles'  (Read 4338 times)

MDrumm

Framing - DIY V Professional and 'Air Bubbles'
« on: April 10, 2011, 03:24:49 AM »
Until recently I've only purchased and framed singled sided posters but now I've started collecting double sided posters I've got a question about framing I hope you guys can help me with, When it comes to framing them I've found that the professional jobs always look better(Obvious right!) whereas at least in my case the DIY jobs can have annoying side effects like the appearance of what I can only describe as 'air bubbles' in the poster which I CANNOT get rid of whatever I do.

By "Air Bubbles' I mean when you look at the poster from a certain angle parts of it seem like they have air behind them thus the bubble effect but if you turn the light on or look at it from other angles you can't see them, I've tried removing and re-inserting the poster but that only seemed to make it worse.

Basically I wanted to know if anyone else has encountered this bubble effect or not and if there's a way around it - Someone suggested given enough time they'll simply drop out but I'm not sure about that. Any ideas anyone?

Secondly does anyone have opinions on the DIY V Professional thing, As I've said the professional jobs look better but can't that impact your decision to sell the poster later since it can't be removed buyers may not want it and in terms of the overall value of the poster is that affected by your choice of how to frame it?

Any help/ideas etc will be appreciated.

Thanks
M.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: Framing - DIY V Professional and 'Air Bubbles'
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 07:02:04 AM »
I would say that a good conservation framer should always frame so that the poster is protected and the framing process is entirely reversible (e.g. not dry mounted), hence it shouldn't impact resale value.

I've never done DIY framing, so can't really offer any help on the subject...I'm sure I've read that letting a rolled poster naturally relax and then flattening it for a prolonged period before framing is sensible (presumably as you'd get some rippling due to the size).

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Framing - DIY V Professional and 'Air Bubbles'
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 08:53:32 AM »
I have my frames made to my spec, but fit the posters myself and they look fine. I have folded posters in them also, if you look close enough you can just see the folds, but it's old stuff so.... 8)

If your getting bubbles, it's maybe just the way you are fitting the poster. Trapping air behind the poster and backing board! Smooth them out before putting the backing board on.
It's more than a Hobby...