Author Topic: 2011  (Read 585775 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: January 2011
« Reply #250 on: January 31, 2011, 06:58:06 PM »

AP, The Hitcher quad is awesome.   sm1  I had to post quote the picture of it since it deserves 2 pictures in the thread.   ;D

Not exactly movie posters, but these are pretty sweet....And the Heavy Metal madness begins.   :D
Heavy Metal 2000 soundtrack poster signed by Julie Strain.  Probably gonna have to post this one in the "girls with guns thread" and a signatures thread also due to it's awesomeness.

An uncut sheet of cards that feature the artwork of various Heavy Metal magazine covers.  Another cool thing about it is that it measures about 26"x40" which means I can frame it.

Film Art Gallery

« Reply #251 on: January 31, 2011, 08:59:52 PM »
hey guys - i didn't actually post this. one of my guys did. sorry if it was in the wrong section, i wouldn't have posted in this section and just joined the forum. although, i do wonder - since i'm new here - if a dealer acquired something amazing/unique (i don't think a 'night of living dead' 1 sheet qualifies), would/should they only share it in the 'for sale' section? as a full-time dealer who began as a collector and loves posters, every once in a while i come across something that i didn't know existed and think others would appreciate seeing. in a situation like that, where you want to show others something and are doing so without the intent of selling it - would it still be inappropriate to post the image here?

just asking. whatever the consensus is.. is fine by me.

Hmm, thats a tough point.

All I can do is come from MY POV, I am and have never been a full time dealer (Actually I lie I was for 6 months a few years ago). But most COLLECTORS at some stage need to sell, or want to sell. And the line between dealers and collects really is blurred, except in some cases (theres a few dealers around here who will admit they DO NOT COLLECT).

For me, I have many thousands of posters, and nearly ALL are for sale, I like to keep certain items/genres/directors/studios/whatever, and I also have over the years bought things, i like/want/think is undervalued/can flip for a buck/whatever.

I have items I bought 10+ years ago with only the intention to SELL, and still have them.

So. what I mean is, latest aquisitions, shouldn't be JUST for COLLECTORS, sellers are also BUYERS, and the best sellers are ALSO collectors. If they decide to put a $ on it and hope it sells. Good on em, they might even seek and rebuy again later (I have done many a time).

Its NOT us and THEM, and the good dealers are also those that love having anything special if its just for a few days, or weeks or months.

PLUS if it weren't for people selling, you would have.... hmm... kinda not many posters.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #252 on: January 31, 2011, 09:07:06 PM »
personally I think its fine, its different if a dealer posts every single damn item they buy, which would be nuts, but sometimes something special comes in, if it turns into a sale, then, its good for both the dealer and the collector (isnt it?) AND I also will say again, its always easy after time to spot dealers who collect, collectrors who deal, and DEALERS WHO DONT COLLECT. make up your mind where you go. I suggest the 2 former, but thats just me.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #253 on: January 31, 2011, 09:24:39 PM »
I think if it's posted in this thread without the blatant attempt at selling it that's just fine.

If someone is interested, they can contact you privately and inquire if it is for sale.
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #254 on: January 31, 2011, 09:28:20 PM »

Another great poster by Simon Bisley.
Now, you've gotta track down CENTURION (also by Biz) which kovacs posted earlier in this thread.
It's a difficult beast to find...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #255 on: January 31, 2011, 09:45:36 PM »
hey guys - i didn't actually post this. one of my guys did. sorry if it was in the wrong section, i wouldn't have posted in this section and just joined the forum. although, i do wonder - since i'm new here - if a dealer acquired something amazing/unique (i don't think a 'night of living dead' 1 sheet qualifies), would/should they only share it in the 'for sale' section? as a full-time dealer who began as a collector and loves posters, every once in a while i come across something that i didn't know existed and think others would appreciate seeing. in a situation like that, where you want to show others something and are doing so without the intent of selling it - would it still be inappropriate to post the image here?

I'd say it's more appropriate for dealers every couple of weeks to highlight a few of their best posters in their own "for sale" threads.  Something like "check out such-and-such, very rare at a great price" etc.  Most people on these boards are irritated by sales pitches outside the "for sale" section. I think the way Hideyuki/MoviePosterJapan posts is the right way to go - see this thread.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #256 on: January 31, 2011, 09:49:23 PM »
ok, but what about when. FOR EG, I get a new poster. I also deal, I might get something I am excited to have. And like to show as new Aq, but, it is/will be/might be available for sale. I personally collect a very specific thing, and a lot of things I buy I intend eventually to sell, BUT in the meantime I am happy to have it, and enjoy it while its in my hands. And often sad to see it go.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #257 on: January 31, 2011, 09:54:50 PM »
ok, but what about when. FOR EG, I get a new poster. I also deal, I might get something I am excited to have. And like to show as new Aq, but, it is/will be/might be available for sale. I personally collect a very specific thing, and a lot of things I buy I intend eventually to sell, BUT in the meantime I am happy to have it, and enjoy it while its in my hands. And often sad to see it go.

Question of intent - if you're posting primarily to sell, it should go in the for sale threads.  If you're posting primarily to show off a new poster for your own collection (with a vague possibility of a future sale), it goes in the new acquisitions.  

Again, just my personal opinion, but it seems pretty reasonable.  I know Jeannie used to go on crusades against disguised sales pitches.

The good thing about APF is that most regulars here use the "show unread posts" features, so they actually read - or are at least aware of - the new sales announcements.  On NS4 sales announcements are probably ignored b/c they are in a totally separate section of the forum.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #258 on: January 31, 2011, 10:17:23 PM »
Question of intent - if you're posting primarily to sell, it should go in the for sale threads.  If you're posting primarily to show off a new poster for your own collection (with a vague possibility of a future sale), it goes in the new acquisitions.  

I feel strongly this way as well.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #259 on: January 31, 2011, 10:30:15 PM »
Where is Jeannie when you need her?  laugh1  She would make quick work of this, as she is one of the most efficient forum moderators I've seen in that area.

Although I do agree with the fact that this is not a "for sale" thread, I can't say that I would mind seeing some awesome new acquisition that also happens to be for sale, just as long as this thread doesn't turn into a big spam fest.  Then it would get real old real quick.  But I am slightly biased also, as I say this shortly after posting an uncut card sheet (albeit for a magazine that is also the basis for a movie) in the latest acquisitions of movie posters thread.  :D

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #260 on: January 31, 2011, 10:38:07 PM »
Another great poster by Simon Bisley.
Now, you've gotta track down CENTURION (also by Biz) which kovacs posted earlier in this thread.
It's a difficult beast to find...

That Centurion is a kick ass piece.  Looks like I have a renewed focus on art.  Some fantasy art is truly incredible.

Moviemonstermuseum

« Reply #261 on: January 31, 2011, 11:22:39 PM »
Nice Tales of Terror Daybill! You guys are going to get me started collecting Daybills!

Dennis

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #262 on: February 01, 2011, 12:15:39 AM »

I think Matt at Film Art Gallery made it clear that his post of NOTLD was a mistake made by one of his people.

Dealers who collect and want to brag about an addition to their personal 'collection' should absolutely use this thread to do so.

Dealers who want to post pics of their latest sale items should do so in the For Sale/Auction thread.

We don't want these monthly acquisition threads to become long scrolling advertisements.

Everyone cool wid dat?   hitself

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #263 on: February 01, 2011, 10:15:09 AM »
Nice Tales of Terror Daybill! You guys are going to get me started collecting Daybills!

Dennis

The more the merrier!
Chris

Moviemonstermuseum

« Reply #264 on: February 01, 2011, 04:33:36 PM »
The more the merrier!

and where do I find these good daybills? The good ones on eBay are expensive
Dennis

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #265 on: February 01, 2011, 05:37:32 PM »
and where do I find these good daybills? The good ones on eBay are expensive
Dennis

Ah - more may be merrier but giving out that info is less jolly!

Like any paper, the good ones are generally expensive no matter where they are listed for sale.

Just keep watching eBay and hope that what catches your eye is not something that tickles my fancy too ;)
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
February 2011
« Reply #266 on: February 01, 2011, 09:34:42 PM »
Window Cards - all circa 1932  ;D

Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: February 2011
« Reply #267 on: February 01, 2011, 09:35:28 PM »

Chris

tstatum

« Reply #268 on: February 01, 2011, 09:58:20 PM »
Nothing like following that, love "The Lost Squadron", along with the rest.  Just received this today.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #269 on: February 01, 2011, 10:02:13 PM »
Day-um Chris!  So are those yours?  It was hard to tell from the Mammy thread.  If so, I'm sure there will be plenty of people beating down your door to get that Cimarron for their best picture collections!  I've heard that one in particular has very little paper available for it...

Moviemonstermuseum

« Reply #270 on: February 01, 2011, 11:09:15 PM »
Just got this Chaney signed 8x10. It was signed at a meeting of the Count Dracula Society and came with a photo of Chaney at the event.

Dennis

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #271 on: February 01, 2011, 11:14:22 PM »
Day-um Chris!  So are those yours?  It was hard to tell from the Mammy thread.  If so, I'm sure there will be plenty of people beating down your door to get that Cimarron for their best picture collections!  I've heard that one in particular has very little paper available for it...

Hi Harry.  Unfortunately, I missed out on the Mammy despite a good battle but these came from the same lot.  I have also heard that paper for Cimarron is difficult to come by.

Some nice consolation prizes in the end?  ;)
Chris

Juli

« Reply #272 on: February 02, 2011, 12:05:38 AM »
Just got this Chaney signed 8x10. It was signed at a meeting of the Count Dracula Society and came with a photo of Chaney at the event.

Lucky you. That is an awesome autograph with great provenance.  :) I wish I could find autographs like that.

~ Juli

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #273 on: February 02, 2011, 02:03:29 AM »
That's some consolation prize Chris, first rate win all of them. thumbup

Nice Chaney MMM, and what a bonus, that candid of him.  :)
It's more than a Hobby...

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #274 on: February 02, 2011, 10:52:52 AM »
Window Cards - all circa 1932  ;D

Wow, well done, Chris   clap