Author Topic: October 2023  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
Re: October 2023
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2023, 04:05:37 AM »
For sure.  I can tell you I had to twist some arms and put more money down to acquire some of my Spielbergs.  Back to the Future, Gremlins, Poltergeist, The Goonies...  come to mind.  I'm pretty certain these won't be seen again, or at least for a long time.  They went from collector to collector and they will not move from my collection until I'm six feet under.  At no price.  I'm guessing a lot of collectors are like me.  When there are less than 10 surviving copies of poster, it can easily disappear.  Back to the Future... Every six months for 2 years, asking, and asking again, upping the price, and again.  The seller cracked and regretted it afterwards.  Or so I was told.  It's a game of patience.  Now more so than ever, it seems.

T

I've checked out your Thai posters a few times on your amazing poster collection website and I said to you on here in the past as someone who has been collecting mainly Thai posters for a number of years I can hand on heart tell you that you have some of the very best and rarest Thai posters out there, you told me once before you consider your Thai collection to be pretty small but with the ones you've already acquired it hardly matters as many of them would be hard to top,

from my own experience I can say out of those you mentioned the Back to the Future is easily the rarest followed by Gremlins, the Goonies poster shows up but still very rarely and is always super expensive, out of these Poltergeist is the most common but even that one is hard to find, I don't own any of these myself and have always had an eye out for some of them.

It's usually the big (best known) US films from the 70's and especially 80's that seem to be the most desired by Thai collectors and you don't get much more popular films from the 80's than those you mentioned here thumbsup.gif

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2023, 07:30:06 PM »
I've checked out your Thai posters a few times on your amazing poster collection website and I said to you on here in the past as someone who has been collecting mainly Thai posters for a number of years I can hand on heart tell you that you have some of the very best and rarest Thai posters out there, you told me once before you consider your Thai collection to be pretty small but with the ones you've already acquired it hardly matters as many of them would be hard to top,

Thanks for the kind words.  You are the expert, so who am I to disagree.  All things considered, I guess it's okay.  Still feels pretty small, though hahaha.

Did you hear anything about Thai posters being illegal for sale outside of Thailand?  I've heard it twice already from Thai sellers.  I can't remember if you've already talked about it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2023, 03:08:29 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.  You are the expert, so who am I to disagree.  All things considered, I guess it's okay.  Still feels pretty small, though hahaha.

Did you hear anything about Thai posters being illegal for sale outside of Thailand?  I've heard it twice already from Thai sellers.  I can't remember if you've already talked about it.

T

Thanks! T, but "expert" may be a little to kind, however I can say I always look into things as much as possible and much/most of what I've learnt about Thai posters I have learnt from genuine experts who really do know their stuff on Thai posters, so while I don't consider myself an expert I do feel I have solid knowledge that I've picked up from some good people over the years and rest assured I guarantee that you have some true Thai gems, that I do know. Deep Red is another good one you have, I was speaking with a Thai person just the other day who has been collecting since he was a kid (now middle age) and he'd never even seen the poster before, says it all.

As for your other question, I must admit I've never heard anything like that, I have bought posters from many long time collectors both based in Thailand and elsewhere around the world but never heard of it being illegal for sale outside of Thailand ever! brought up, that kind of sounds like something someone would say if they were simply trying to put you off and did not want to sell, lol, but I guess it's possible that certain posters may have different rules around them, I don't know hmmm.gif

One bit of advice I would give anyone now thinking of picking up Thai posters is that I've been told there's a lot more collectors now in Thailand itself where as 5 years ago it was not the case in Thailand, I get the strong impression from what I've been told that after years of selling outside of Thailand now there are many collectors in Thailand trying to buy them back, there are many Thai posters I know collectors in the UK/US have got but they can't be found in Thailand anymore, so on top of all this prices for the rarer posters are now getting CRAZY in Thailand, all this helps explain why it's got so much harder collecting Thai posters nowadays and why the rarer or even semi rare stuff hardly ever shows up anymore.

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2023, 09:36:03 AM »

cheap alternative to the real thing (A3 from nor mag)  bed1

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2023, 09:36:34 AM »
I still can't quite believe I stumbled on this beauty. All those classic 30's Stanwyck one sheets always seem so far out of reach, but the stars aligned and here she is :)

Story time!
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,