Author Topic: Modern posters prices out of control  (Read 1083 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Modern posters prices out of control
« on: July 27, 2023, 06:39:57 PM »
Why are modern prices so expensive nowadays?  It started with Covid and hasn't stopped since.  I mean, $30-$50 for an Indiana Jones poster????  Sometimes $100?  It's clearly out of control and I fail to understand why.  Five years ago, the same posters would have not sold for more than $30.  Some people are clearly buying and some people are clearly making a lot of $$$.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Modern posters prices out of control
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 11:27:36 PM »
It's good for sellers, maybe it's time you join 'em, T.  8)

In my experience consigning some stuff recently, everything sold for more than what I thought it would.  A good bidding battle among a few folks for a Who Framed Roger Rabbit mylar I bought for $300 sold for $900, good titles from the 2000s and around there were also in about the 3x or more than what I got them for 10 or so years ago (hard to believe it's been that long already  girly2.gif ).  Most of my humble video posters that I kept have spiked several times from what I paid for those, also.  I think the popular, cult, rare (for popular/cult etc. flicks) will hold their value, not just in monetary value, but also as important pieces of history.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2023, 11:28:53 AM »
It's good for sellers, maybe it's time you join 'em, T.  8)

Yeah, you know I don't believe in selling.

I was actually referring to most sellers on Ebay.  What they are asking for brand new posters is outrageous, imo.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023, 02:11:49 PM »
If you're talking about very recently released stuff, yeah, most of it is printed in vast quantities and readily available at many places.  It's a little mind boggling to think what a lot of recent Star Wars stuff goes for, although that's somewhat of an outlier with the extremely high demand.

Overall, it seems like eBay sellers are increasingly setting above market "buy it now" prices.  Sellers often send offers to potential buyers.  When people watch items, sellers can send an offer to them, they can even do it automatically - soon after someone watches something, they get an automatic offer from the seller.  If a potential buyer sends a seller a message, the seller can respond with an offer.  It's a smart way of raising market values, because of course many buyers will just click the "buy it now" button, at the higher than market value price, which raises the average sale price.  It's clear, though, that even in auctions (legitimate ones where there's no shill bidding), the prices are increasing on a lot of stuff.  With inflation, some of this stuff getting more popular, etc., it appears that this upward trend will continue.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 02:15:28 PM by Neo »

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2023, 07:21:52 PM »
Yes, I’ve definitely noticed this with new release quads. Very expensive. They seem to be selling though (annoyingly). I suppose the decrease in cinemas displaying paper posters here doesn’t help with supply,

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 07:36:21 PM »
I suppose the decrease in cinemas displaying paper posters here doesn’t help with supply,

I think this is the main reason. Several people I've spoken with said that old suppliers have dried up as many theaters have switched to digital only and new posters aren't available to them in the quantities they used to be.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2023, 01:06:49 PM »
I also decided not to buy international posters anymore.  I do not believe their authenticity.  They all show up on Thai or Indonesian markets.

I will only buy posters with US release dates BEFORE a movie comes out.  And even that has become a challenge.

T
My Personal Collection