Author Topic: CGC Grading: What's the point?  (Read 1078 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
CGC Grading: What's the point?
« on: June 19, 2023, 11:19:34 PM »
So I recently bought (by mistake, I was bidding on my phone and thought I was trying to get something else) a second set of Vertigo lobbies at Propstore and it came in sealed (???) plastic envelopes with a CGC grading that means absolutely nothing to me.  What I am supposed to do now?  I want to open the envelopes but the lobbies are sealed so tight in there, I'm afraid to cut them in the process of cutting the plastic.  Does anyone care about those gradings?  I'm annoyed!

T

« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 11:20:38 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
Re: CGC Grading: What's the point?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 06:35:13 AM »
Personally I don't care about those sealed CGC graded lobbies either, but some collectors do, so I guess there is a market and therefore resale value.  But for your personal enjoyment and since you don't sell, there isn't much upside to this.  At least you got your stuff from Propstore, I'm still waiting for my Beauty and the Beast double panel even though I promptly paid for it.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 07:20:59 AM »

HOW TO CRACK OUT A NEW CGC GRADED COMIC - UNSLABBING TUTORIAL

The concept is the same for lobby cards as for comics. Just be careful!
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 10:13:42 AM »
Thanks Bruce, I will try that.  Very helpful.

And Antoine, yeah, I went to pick it up myself.  They're up North about an hour away from me.  The drive there was okay, I stopped by a friend of mine I never see, had lunch and a quick dip in his pool.  The drive back took me 2 1/2 hours in rush hour traffic on the 405.  They are truly in the middle of nowhere.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 08:39:45 PM »
Hey T, it’s just encased in Mylar. I cracked slabs open that had comics in them like the video Bruce showed and then cut the Mylar open. Pretty easy, just have to be careful.
 CGC is known for grading cards and comics, and guess they moved onto posters and lobbies now.. yours should be easier to remove as it looks like it’s not slabbed.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2023, 08:45:17 AM »
So I managed to get them out of this stupidity.  It wasn't easy, mind you.  They had it so tight and so close to the border.  But it did work.  Thanks.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 06:32:40 AM »
Much better - they can be handled as intended now.

Mark

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2023, 01:59:23 AM »
Much better - they can be handled as intended now.

Mark

They were intended to be displayed - I'm sure they won't be handled that way.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2023, 09:16:22 AM »
Hahaha displayed!!!  Nope, they are already filed, along with the other set.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2023, 03:25:58 PM »
I believe many collectors, like me, of more scarce, older posters are less worried about condition compared to just finding a poster they like from back then. Of course, there is the preference for unbacked vs. linen for some collectors, though good luck finding any copy of many of the older, rare posters, right?! I bet someone like Sue Heim could sell someone a nice frame and give a grade, if someone really wants one, for a competitive price compared to a grading service!  If you're T, just a frame or two where you can change out posters now and then saves a lot of money.  If you're like me, and like to display your posters, I say spend the money on the frame instead of grading! Will grading posters via a grading service bring outside investors into the hobby like with comics? Geez, I hope not.  Okie