Author Topic: When would you linenback a poster?  (Read 1619 times)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
When would you linenback a poster?
« on: June 01, 2023, 06:22:41 PM »
Just curious on when you would linen back a poster. I’m more asking for those that do not like linenbacked posters. So this question is more for the collectors that rarely will bid on a linenbacked poster or have theirs backed. As I see the majority of non linenbacked posters sell higher.

Let’s say a poster is ultra rare, all taped up in the back, you want to display it.
Or if a poster is pre 1950’s and ultra rare.
Then would you consider backing it? Or still keep it original?

I know its preference. But I’m just curious on what those collectors think or where they draw the line of backing Or not?

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
Re: When would you linenback a poster?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 07:32:08 AM »
Personally, I would definitely NOT back an ultra rare, pre-1950s poster on linen or paper unless its condition is so frail that it's starting to fall apart at the folds.  I have many posters from the 1930s and 1940s that are quite rare, and the vast majority of them are folded copies in various states of condition.  I have never backed a single one of them as I always put a premium on retaining as much of the original state as possible.  I really don't see any upside to backing a poster unless the paper is coming into pieces, in which case a backing support is needed to keep it together.  I do have one caveat to this rule: I have been amenable to purchasing larger poster formats (US 3-sheets and 6-sheets, and Italian 4F) that are backed because I do see a benefit to having a support for the various pieces that make up such posters.  I still prefer a folded copy, but I sometimes settle for a linen backed 6-sheet especially if finding a folded copy would prove difficult due to the title's rarity.

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 01:04:00 PM »
....I do have one caveat to this rule: I have been amenable to purchasing larger poster formats (US 3-sheets and 6-sheets, and Italian 4F) that are backed because I do see a benefit to having a support for the various pieces that make up such posters. 

I agree with everything Antoine has said. I always look to buy unbacked posters in the best possible condition with the exception of older,larger format posters, particularly Italian 2F and 4F, which I prefer linen-backed. (1) These posters if folded can be brittle (2) it is usually more expensive to pay for linen-backing yourself and (3) it is easier to view and display them. I like to store posters open and flat in mylar pockets but that is impossible with larger formats.

Mark

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 01:52:45 PM »
I have recently decided that I would not buy linenbacked posters anymore.  One exception is this one of a kind poster that I know I will never find folded and belongs in my collection.  For example, I have everything I want on Bardot, save for 2 or 3 pieces I have only seen once in 20 years of collecting.  Should I encounter those pieces, I will immediately buy them regardless of condition and backing.

My reasoning? 
1. I do not display my posters, so even for the large pieces mentioned by Antoine and Mark, linenbacking is irrelevant to me. 
2. I do not trust linenbacking, I do not trust what has been done to a poster, the amount of work done to make it look like new.
3. Linenbacked posters take a lot of room, linen is thick, it cannot be stored in flat files and 5 posters fill up a tube.  Since i have a fairly large collection, it would not work.
4. It allows me to go thru upcoming auctions very quickly and only check the folded stuff since 80% of any offering is linenbacked.
5. I genuinely like folds on posters,  it gives it character, like wrinkles on an old man's face.

Now to answer Bigmike question specifically, I would first make sure the "ultra rare" unnamed poster is indeed ultra rare.  Ultra rare to me means there are less than 10 copies in the world.  If this is true and you want to display such ultra rare poster that you will never ever be able to upgrade, then yes, I would linenback it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 04:52:46 PM »
These are all great points. And appreciate the feedback. So T, for example I’m debating on this one.
But curious, if it came time that I ever had to sell it. Would it sell more backed or as is?
I really like the poster and want it framed. If it weren’t for a giant rip on it (picture is kind of deceiving) I would frame it as is. But the rip or where it’s coming apart is where I’m at Should I linenback it or not. I don’t know how rare it is. I know that’s the only one I have come across.

So T, seems very strict on backing. What would you do? What would you guys do?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 05:52:20 PM »
I don't collect stuff like that, so I feel it's more of an Antoine question.  I don't know anything about its rarity.  Let's see what Antoine says.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 08:37:29 PM »
Bigmike, this looks to me like a military one sheet, with the typical duo-tone printing.  I haven't encountered this particular example, but I'm attaching a pic of another military OS of Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman that sold at Heritage for $444 in September 2021 for reference.  To answer your question, I'm not sure that your poster would sell more if it was linen backed, as there's typically not a big market for military OS.  That's not to say that they're not interesting, as they often depict a different image than the one from the original ad campaign.  Personally I would keep it as it is, warts and all. 

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2023, 12:27:20 AM »
But curious, if it came time that I ever had to sell it. Would it sell more backed or as is?
I really like the poster and want it framed. If it weren’t for a giant rip on it (picture is kind of deceiving) I would frame it as is. But the rip or where it’s coming apart is where I’m at Should I linenback it or not. I don’t know how rare it is. I know that’s the only one I have come across.

You will not recover the cost of linenbacking when you go to sell this poster.
The people that are interested in it won't pay more because you backed it.
The rip should lay flat when you frame it and won't worsen, so just frame it up and enjoy it.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2023, 05:10:36 AM »
Thanks guys. I think I won’t back this one then and display it as is. I’ll stick with what others have said and do the ones that are fragile like the Italian ones that some are separating.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2023, 07:20:21 AM »
of course there's always the chance your linenbacked poster catches the eye of Mr. Deeppockets if presented in a major auction event, with other linenbacked posters.  Like one of Bruce's or heritage's.  I wonder if the client base for those tend to be into cosmetic appeal (i.e. condition) more than having posters in their original state.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2023, 12:50:50 PM »
For me, never.  I'm one of those that I just don't like linen.  Admittedly, I don't handle older posters which are m more typically backed.  I have one poster that's backed, my Star Wars onesheet.  I bought it when I was new to collecting.  I don't know what it is about linen, but it just bothers me.  Though, others love it or are neutral to it, and that's fine too of course.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2023, 01:37:59 PM »
So what about the posters with that tape on the back? That overtime that acid comes through to the other side?

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2023, 11:43:33 PM »
If you're aiming to resell, maybe, to protect your investment. Otherwise leave it be I would say, or try peeling it off with alcohol or something that evaporates..

I collect mainly canadian posters or posters i know were displayed in Canada so they often have snipes, scribbling, markers, etc.  Many look downright awful, but they're ones that make me happy the most.  One man's garbage...

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2023, 12:41:16 AM »
[...] If it weren’t for a giant rip on it (picture is kind of deceiving) I would frame it as is. But the rip or where it’s coming apart is where I’m at Should I linenback it or not. [...]

Perhaps my computer screen is failing me, but I don't see any rip in the image you posted.  But if it really bothers you, isn't there some kind of archival tape meant for vintage paper?  The type that's like linen, and not too adhesive...  Anyone here know what I'm talking about?  Might that be an alternative to linenbacking the entire poster?  Just make sure you research the product thoroughly, as most tapes will bleed through over time and leave those unsightly "tape stains" you posted about later, of which I don't know whether it's possible to remove. 

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2023, 02:44:45 AM »
There is no rip... just wavy rippling at lower left and pinholes.

You can still do the followingyourself:

a) Remove any tape, if any.  Use solvent.
b) Have both sides of poster cleaned using white eraser crumb - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3NUDbkPS3g
c) For the pinholes, take a blunt object and push the paper back in the pinhole, then flatten it by pressing.
d) For the rippling, not much you can do; waves are hard to fix.  You can still try the DIY method, that is iron the poster (use distilled water and a wax paper is recommended also).  Up to you to try it out, a bit of water, some ironing with heat, then let is dry under heavy object - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py7sQS_Aa3k

I can see the paper is slightly brown.  You may want to monitor this with time, avoid hanging it in a sunny place.  If you decide to do the linenbacking, please ask for a slight acidic bath (to remove brownish) following by several deacidification-alkaline bathes (to buffer the acid).  A must imo.

As Antoine said, this is military poster, R60s so it may not as sought as other releases.

But yes, you can repair rips by adding patches of ph-free paper with stash glue at the back of poster;  this is a great way to fix rip and give poster as one without
Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

Offline spider89119

• Beginner
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2023, 03:31:29 PM »
I know I am a bit late to this thread, but this is something in which I feel compelled to put in my two cents.  Personally, I would only get a poster linenbacked if it needed to be restored or saved from becoming deteriorated.  I have only had it done to one poster.  A Devil Bat 3-sheet that was kraft-backed long ago, possibly by the poster exchange or the theater that originally hung it.  This was a learning experience for me because I did not know what kraft-backing was until I received this poster and asked more experienced collectors why there was brown paper on the back of the poster.  The poster looked good, but was beginning to yellow or brown in places from the old glue and kraft paper it was attached to.  I had it linen-backed to keep it from deteriorating further.  I have to add that, as an added bonus, the linen-backing made the poster much easier to frame as well.  If anyone is interested, here is a link to the old NSFGE thread that follows the story of this poster  https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/stylec/viewtopic.php?p=4261#p4261 

Including the Devil Bat 3-sheet, I only own 3 linenbacked posters.  The other two were purchased that way.  One is a Teenage Monster insert.  Now I probably could have waited and eventually found one that wasn't backed, but at the time I was very new to poster collecting and bought this one partly because I was curious to see what a linen-backed poster was like.  The other one is an Earth vs. the Spider one-sheet (my avatar).  Again, I could have waited to find one that wasn't backed, but this poster was Johnny Ramone's, and I thought it would be cool to have a poster that belonged to Johnny, since The Ramones are one of my favorite bands.

From what I am reading here, it seems that the general consensus on linen-backing has changed from what it was 15 or so years ago when I was on NSFGE.  Back then most collectors did not feel that it hurt the value of a poster at all and only viewed it as a matter of individual taste.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 03:34:52 PM by spider89119 »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2023, 03:41:26 PM »
From what I am reading here, it seems that the general consensus on linen-backing has changed from what it was 15 or so years ago when I was on NSFGE.  Back then most collectors did not feel that it hurt the value of a poster at all and only viewed it as a matter of individual taste.

Because back then linenbacked posters were not the norm.  Now that everything has been linenbacked, fixed, repainted, half redone, a lot of collectors don't want to have anything to do with it.  Also, it makes the search that much more fun.  I constantly see posters I like at auction but pass on them because of the backing.  I then try to find them folded and the quest is all the fun.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline porkinsred6

• Beginner
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2023, 06:19:15 PM »
I own hundreds of posters and at present, only 3 of them are linenbacked.  The first poster I had linenbacked when I was new to collecting and bought a common-ish folded poster but wanted it to display unfolded.  The next poster I bought already backed on ebay and it was a more rare poster that I did not expect to find another copy anytime soon.  I don't think it was backed well and a few years later I found an unbacked copy so I upgraded and gave the backed copy to my kids to enjoy.

The final poster I had linenbacked was a one of a kind test print poster that was heavily damaged.  It was backed to better protect it from future deterioration more than anything else. 

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2024, 09:52:53 AM »
Do all posters Ive got need lb....not really

But I prefer it and also I buy posters in lesser shape where lb really benefits them & I save them from being completely destroyed