Author Topic: Do many of the members here no longer collect?  (Read 2026 times)

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
Do many of the members here no longer collect?
« on: August 10, 2023, 08:04:27 AM »
I have a question. A major part of this forum used to be the New Acquisition Threads, started each month, and then quickly filling.

Over time those grew more and more sparse, until finally they stopped altogether.

Is this because many of the members here no longer collect or maybe just don't have the time to post, or maybe don't like to show off what they have?
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Do many of the members here no longer collect?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 09:59:56 AM »
I don't know about others, but I stopped doing it because of my website.  Everyone can see what I have there so it became silly and redundant for me to post it twice.  Also, i don't think collectors really care about what other collectors have.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 02:20:50 PM »
Personally I've been acquiring increasing fewer stuffs over the years, but I'll start sharing acquisitions more often here.  Not much posting from members here lately, but of course better than the old MPF, and now it looks like Ari's NSFGE is gone (maybe has been for a while, but I just noticed recently).

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 04:03:22 PM »
Too much money now. Besides the inflated prices now we also have to deal with the exchange rates Cdn to USD.. plus now half the sellers on eBay use the GSP program and don’t want to combine shipping to Canada. So I stopped buying. Maybe the odd one or two when I get a good deal. But drastically stopped. I even had to sell some. 
I’m also trying to get back into the housing market here in Canada and the prices are just beyond stupid. So that caused a halt on collecting…
I regret not taking a job offer in the US…
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 04:05:34 PM by bigmike »

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 04:05:09 PM »
I am behind with taking photos - I take my new arrivals out when they arrive to flatten, but always seem to be short of time to take some snaps to share. I keep meaning to get better at this, but then life gets in the way! If no one has done it yet, I’ll start an August thread when I get back from holiday.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2023, 04:17:57 PM »
Also, most of the messages I get are people wanting to buy something from me, even though my website clearly states that I do not sell.  Never.  Period.  For some reasons, that seems to be rubbing people off the wrong way.  People don't seem interested to look at something unless that can buy it.  It's really annoying how everything seems to be about price and money nowadays.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2023, 05:42:25 PM »
I haven't bought a poster for 5 years or so and have no intentions to buy any more. In fact I'm interested to sell most but it's too hard. If EMP was in Australia it would be easier I guess. Buyers potentially saying their package arrived empty turns me off trying selling. I thought in my older age I'd have time to sell, but I can't see that I'll have the energy for all so not sure what to do with it all. My advertising poster collection seems to be where value is increasing the most rather than movies. Cash will go towards finally framing some of them. I'm looking to having fabricated opening metal frames for 6 sheets, 3 sheets, 4F, large French, and odd shaped large advertising ones

I do still have the collecting bug but now it is digital stuff that takes very little room on hard disks like videos (film and music videos) , music, tv shows. I can enjoy those probably more than posters as is easier to access. I can have people over to enjoy them too, maybe more so than posters.

Offline wormie

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2023, 06:22:59 PM »
I am still hoarding posters each month, but certainly more selective. Surprisingly, although covid made everything more expensive, I ended up buying more than I should have than pre-covid.
Also, instead of constructing a website or posting anything here, I use Instagram occasionally and basically use an App called MyStuff2 very extensively to manage and enjoy my hoardings.

Chengbo

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2023, 02:00:15 PM »
I'm still collecting many posters monthly - probably more than I should on my budget as a college student! There have been many times where I have wanted to start a new thread for the month to share my latest finds but more often than not I found myself too busy to photograph and share my purchases.
I could probably just post titles and pictures, but I also love sharing my thoughts on the posters themselves and the quest for finding them!
I have a lot to share still - so I'm thinking I'm better off starting a new thread sharing my backlog and posting on the monthly thread when I have time.
I also love seeing and reading everyone's finds even if I don't always have time to reply so I love seeing posts on the monthly threads!

Offline pcarnette

• Beginner
  • Boldy Going... Into Debt
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2023, 02:23:19 PM »
As a newcomer to poster collecting, I am going strong acquiring original crew Star Trek one sheet movie posters like a drunken sailor. But whenever it comes time to take picture, something else comes up. I've got most of my flattened ones stored in Spotlight Frames right now. We've got a a couple rooms where I'll be hanging them repainted and recarpeted, so my plan is to thoroughly document them pictorially once all that is done.

wormie, I appreciate the Instagram and MyStuff2 suggestions. I may use those too.

Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to photograph posters? It seems like a challenge to get them all in frame.

Thanks a lot. I'm always learning something new here.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2023, 03:24:06 PM »
Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to photograph posters? It seems like a challenge to get them all in frame.

I photograph my posters as soon as they get in.  I receive tubes, unpack them, photograph the posters and shove them into storage tubes or flat files (depending on whether they are folded or rolled.)  I am extremely organized and cannot stand clutter (aka tubes).  Mailing tubes go straight to the trash.

I have a specific place at my house that is dark enough to photograph posters (meaning very little reflection).  I just put them on the floor and snap a quick picture with my iphone.  It takes about 30 seconds per poster.  Then I go to photoshop and adjust the lighting or composition if needed.  Then on to my website and done.

Easy.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2023, 05:54:55 PM »
I still collect, but as I have been collecting now for 13 years, I have gotten far more selective in what I will go after. And to be honest, I have really stopped sharing so much on the forum since I don't feel like what I am interested in (pre-WW2 paper) is of interest to most of the people who post. A Sleepaway Camp poster (which I dig for sure, love those 80s graphics) will get almost a dozen responses, where as my Bette Davis poster from the 1930s that I have been after for a decade gets like 2 responses haha. So I see the writing on the wall.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2023, 07:26:30 AM »
I still collect, but as I have been collecting now for 13 years, I have gotten far more selective in what I will go after. And to be honest, I have really stopped sharing so much on the forum since I don't feel like what I am interested in (pre-WW2 paper) is of interest to most of the people who post. A Sleepaway Camp poster (which I dig for sure, love those 80s graphics) will get almost a dozen responses, where as my Bette Davis poster from the 1930s that I have been after for a decade gets like 2 responses haha. So I see the writing on the wall.

This….

I also think forums are full of old blood or original members - folks that have been collecting for 20+ years.  We all have most of the available posters. Pretty much seen everything. Seen the timeline of collectors from rookie to peak to seasoned collector.

I’ve also settled into a groove about time - if I miss a poster today - I’ll see it again someday. So if I forget to bid, I don’t beat myself up about it.

Also taking pictures - I hardly have time to open the tubes/boxes - it’s more about the hunt than cooking the meal for me now.

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2023, 01:06:03 PM »
When I first started collecting in 1974 it was just so much easier. Condition wasn't such a big deal since all the 1-sheets were folded anyway. When NSS started using the very shiny coated stock in the late 60's the ink would usually flake off in the fold lines, so trying to get a copy on flat matte paper was preferable, if they were printed on that stock at all. Prices were consistent, usually $5 or $6 each regardless of the title. Star Wars style A, Silver Streak, Enter The Dragon, Live and Let Die, OHMSS etc. all the same price. You could tailor your poster collection by size. Don't like 1-sheets? You could get so many other sizes, inserts, 22x28's, 30x40's, 40x60's, 3-sheets, 6-sheets. NSS stopped making window cards in 1971 due to lack of use by that time. The game changed around 1982 when NSS stopped folding the 1-sheets and sent them out rolled. Condition became a more important issue. If you wanted older titles from the 40's and 50's there were other collectors and brick & mortar shops to be searched out. Smolen Prints in NYC had several tables of vintage paper for not very much money. He had paper that collectors today would go bonkers for like Realart lobby cards for House Of Dracula, The Mummy, WC Fields, Abbott and Costello, Superman And The Mole Men pressbooks and inserts, Deadly Is The Female (Gun Crazy) pressbooks, lobby cards and 1-sheets, and so much more.

Today the prices are just out of control which is why I stopped collecting over 5 years ago. I absolutely refuse to pay $50+ for a Indiana Jones and The Dial Of Destiny or No Time To Die 1-sheet. Very little of what is printed today is truly rare enough to warrant a price like that, or more. I do however understand why posters from Mondo, Bottleneck Gallery etc. sell for more in that they are printed in limited quantities and usually have vastly superior artwork than their original release counterparts. And you have my blessing if you want to start collecting the Bond's especially the earlier titles. Very deep pockets would be required.

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2023, 10:47:23 PM »
Starling and Charlie hit on the main reasons why I don't post as much as I used to.  My collecting is focused on older posters (1930s through 1960s), a preference which doesn't seem to be aligned with the interests of most people on this forum.  Also, after collecting for about 20 years, I have reached a point where I've gotten most of the titles that t I want, so  I'm not as acquisitive as I was a few years back.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2023, 03:52:03 PM »
I still buy but I sell more than I buy these days.  Bruce told me years ago that many/most collectors become dealers sooner or later, and that's been my case. But, when I buy, it's from the collector's heart because for the most part I like selling things that really mean something to me.  Still, the Japanese posters are my main interest, especially the B1s.  But those are so hard to come by these days for any reasonable money other than the cheaper stuff that keeps circulating year after year.  I've gotten some Japanese posters I've meant to post here because they are just so fucking cool, including one for Suicide Squad that was supposed to be a B1 but actually arrived as a huge bus-shelter sized poster.

With so many social media outlets these days, I think many collectors are spread over a lot of places.  The new stuff is expensive.  I could not buy what I have with present prices.  I don't envy new collectors these days.

FYI, I'm going to be in the store this weekend, so if anyone wants anything send me a dm here.  Just for registered users of this forum, I'm extending a 20% discount off of all listed prices on my site, first come first served.  That is a significant discount. Though my stuff is not cheap, it's also not bonkers either (though Theirry would disagree, but really, who cares about him).  lmk  Link to my site is in the signature below.  If you want something, don't check out through the site, just DM me here.  Order priority will be based on the order in my inbox.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2023, 02:12:25 AM »
I still definitely collect, though the number of poster acquisitions/year phase has slowed quite a bit similar to what Antoine, Charlie, Neo, and Starling mentioned (I think T has talked about this, too).  I like to display what I collect, so I'm really looking forward to having a large venue one year very soon to display everything (I'm a bit envious of Holiday and his move to that cool spot in old town Micanopy).  Along with movie posters, I also collect illustration and comic art and a few other things that catch my or my wife's eye. 

I agree with Cabmangray about collecting decades ago and seeing amazing posters, sizes and prices at shops (e.g. used/rare book stores) and at local comic conventions. Growing up, I lived in good hunting grounds in middle America where old paper even still today seems to hold up well and there are lots of small towns to hunt.

HeatherMason: I found some great items while still a college student, especially hunting in flea markets, junk shops, and antique stores.  I had way less money, though the hunt was sure fun.  I wish you luck and great adventures hunting on a college budget!

Wormie and Pcarnette:  Sounds like you're both going strong!

50s: I would enjoy seeing your big posters when you get them up and framed.  That is exciting!

BigMike: I hear you.  It seems like pop culture collectibles should have a kind of Star Trek Transporter Zen to them when crossing borders, eh?  I bought a book from France recently and thank goodness it was over 100 years old and customs treated it at a lower rate.

Okie

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2023, 09:49:15 AM »
lately been collecting Batman TAS statues but I buy a poster now & then

Offline porkinsred6

• Beginner
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2023, 10:43:20 AM »
My buying has slowed in 2023.  A combination of factors including a house move and a major private poster purchase that has taken several months to execute and even longer to plan for.  But last month, I bought my first stuff from you in about a year and kudos to your team for reaching out to me to confirm that I moved when I updated my shipping address!

-Danny

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2023, 02:05:13 PM »
I retired last year, so don't have as much income as I had, but still pick up the odd choice item. Even a crap item now and then, but if I like it, I'll buy it.  I am fine tuning my other stuff, Mags, Toys, Books, etc, but so far not sold any posters..
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2024, 03:31:47 PM »

Is this because many of the members here no longer collect or maybe just don't have the time to post, or maybe don't like to show off what they have?

For me, it's several factors. The price of posters have skyrocketed... That, paired with my income getting slashed to nearly nothing due to my strange health issues,  I buy fewer and fewer. Mostly though, what posters I do acquire, I save for my own collection thread. It's just easier to post 10 new things at once than to post one here or there over several weeks/months.

Cheers!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2024, 06:54:58 PM »
For someone who buys "fewer and fewer", I think you're doing fine.

thumbsup.gif

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2024, 07:46:23 PM »
Thank you, kind sir.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2024, 05:55:05 AM »
I enjoyed buying posters with low bids for a good 3 years (pre-Covid).  I haven't won a single poster since with my low bids, it says a lot.
Reason for not posting posters here, I am collecting specific niche genre; I don't want lurkers to see it.     But since I don't collect, I could consider posting my stuff here.

Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.