Author Topic: May 2023  (Read 3274 times)

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
Re: May 2023
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2023, 01:46:49 AM »
Well done!!!  A beautiful auctions, very limited bids???
Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2023, 12:23:32 PM »
Thank you Thierry, I agree that it's a very unique poster.  I remember seeing a photo you posted of your copy when you had it up on your wall, which I understand is something you rarely do as you prefer to keep your collection organized in flat files and tubes.  By the way, I hear you about renovation delays: I started renovating a building in Chelsea the week before the pandemic first hit NYC which led to a prolonged shut down of all construction work in the city followed by the now-familiar supply chain disruptions that affected pretty much every single site, so I'm quite familiar with this situation.  Good luck with your project, eventually the job will get done and you will then enjoy your new home.

Okie, I really hope you get to build that space to showcase your fantastic collection some day!  I agree that between Bruce's major auction last month, Heritage's recent Signature sale and Propstore shortly after, there was a lot of great movie posters up for grabs in a relatively short period of time.  I wonder if that accounts for some of the relative bargains in Propstore sale since that auction came last. 

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2023, 05:50:45 PM »
Thank you Thierry, I agree that it's a very unique poster.  I remember seeing a photo you posted of your copy when you had it up on your wall, which I understand is something you rarely do as you prefer to keep your collection organized in flat files and tubes.

Right now, I don’t have any posters on my walls.  Usually, I have one or two.  I like poster art, but too much of it is a little overkill for me.  Personal preference of course, I don’t mean to insult anyone.  I like to mix it up with fine art.  And because I’m lazy, I don’t change the one or two posters very often, so 99.9% of my posters will never see the light of day, except on my website.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2023, 05:57:21 PM »
I wonder if that accounts for some of the relative bargains in Propstore sale since that auction came last.

1,000% in my opinion.  People just have so much money to spend on frivolities.  This is a niche market, and to have 3 big auctions back to back is a huge mistake in my opinion.  I don’t understand why those guys don’t communicate and try to set their respective calendars accordingly.  I know I had to make some choices.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2023, 10:02:08 AM »
I don’t understand why those guys don’t communicate and try to set their respective calendars accordingly.

I set my calendar a full year in advance. It WOULD make sense if the others would pick dates not so close.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2023, 12:26:23 PM »
I don’t understand why those guys don’t communicate and try to set their respective calendars accordingly. 

I think it's pretty well known for two decades now that Heritage does three signature auctions at the end of March, July, and November.

If I was a guy planning my "major" auction, you would think I wouldn't plan my end of year one right after the biggest auction house just sucks $2 million plus out of the pockets of my bidders (or my August one right after theirs in July, etc), but what do I know.

I guess Propstore figured theirs was a full month after the Heritage one, but what's wrong with June? or September, or October?

I know everyone likes to think they are the 800-lb gorilla, or lion, or whatever, but the three HA Signature sales do more money than any other auction house does in their entire year combined, I for sure would try to stay clear of their dates (or at least be out in front of them).

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2023, 12:58:23 PM »
It's not at the end of March anymore.  HA Sig was at the end of April (4/23), Emovie was a week before (4/16) and Propstore 3 weeks after HA (5/17).  So that's 3 major sales in a month.  If HA was at the end of March, Emovie at the end of Aprll and Prop at the end of May, so over a 3 month period, I think it would give all bidders a chance to refuel a little.  It makes sense to me, but like Crowzilla said, what do we know.

T

My Personal Collection

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2023, 01:39:53 PM »
It's not at the end of March anymore.  HA Sig was at the end of April (4/23), Emovie was a week before (4/16) and Propstore 3 weeks after HA (5/17). 

Yes, was always the end of March until last year when they let Grey go and they pushed back a few weeks until April (and for the first time were after Emovie instead of right before), which was continued this year. July and November remain unchanged.

I haven't checked, but I would be willing to bet a donut that Emovie's April results for 2023 and 2022 were much higher than previous years, partially because they were finally before a $2 million Signature sale instead of being after one.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline steve5635

• Beginner
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2023, 09:32:54 AM »
my first 3 sheet, like new, never been hung.

Offline KOISOKOK

• Beginner
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2023, 06:33:55 PM »
Good to be back . Picked up some nice ones recently.  40x60 Scarface linen backed . Godfather Thierry hates "French Grande" .  And a special poster used to create the Star Wars concert posters . Signed and dated by Alvin . Hope you guys enjoy .

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2023, 10:12:57 PM »
Great posters!!!  Scarface 40x60, why the linen?  Love the French one panel Godfather and of course the Alvin.  Beautiful.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline KOISOKOK

• Beginner
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2023, 06:00:15 PM »
Thanks ! It had a tear on the bottom corner and light fading on the black . Thought it was a good candidate for the restoration. 

Offline KOISOKOK

• Beginner
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2023, 12:37:46 AM »
Italian Terminator....