Author Topic: May 2023  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
May 2023
« on: May 04, 2023, 08:32:50 PM »
New month means more new posters! Looking forward to seeing everyone's May purchases!

Here are two that I was able to acquire and was VERY happy to find!

First up is a one sheet for 1984's Savage Streets! This one was definitely much harder to find and I think that it was actually made for international markets. Mine has a stamp on the back, I believe for Spain? Either way I love the design on this one. It brings me closer to a complete collection of posters for the film!

Next is an Australian one sheet for the 1982 classic Fast Times At Ridgemont High! I really love the alternate artwork used in this one! So much better than the US one sheet!

Have a few more posters on the way from eMoviePoster, mostly stuff from more popular 80s films. Will post when they arrive!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: May 2023
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 10:29:39 AM »
Two great posters there, congrats.

Love the Fast Times Aussie.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 01:20:40 PM »
Here are my recent acquisitions at Bruce's and Heritage.  I'm pleased that they're all folded copies, as that seems to be increasingly hard to find for titles from the 1940s and 1950s.  Some of these posters have been on my wish list for a long time (Attack of the 50Ft Woman in particular, which often turns up on linen but rarely folded).

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 02:10:49 PM »
It is so nice when you finally get something you've been coveting for a long time.

Nice haul, Antoine.

On a side note, I'm so glad we don't collect the same stuff, you would make my life so difficult hahaha

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2023, 09:19:58 PM »
On a side note, I'm so glad we don't collect the same stuff, you would make my life so difficult hahaha

I hear you, especially since we're both so reluctant to buy anything on linen, so we would end up fighting over the few last folded copies that are left!  I'm finally starting to extend beyond classic horror and sci-fi to dip into film noir now, so watch out, lol!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2023, 11:55:51 PM »
Antoine: I saw several of the jewels you won and thought you might be bidding. Congratulations!

Heather Mason: Great 1980s artwork and at least two different types of cleavage to get those dollars into the box office.  Nice going!  And, they are painted art it looks like!  Hooray!

For me this month, I was very happy to get this stone litho 1939 Son of Frankenstein poster from Argentina for my collection. Here's the HA auction photo.  I'm really happy to be able to increase my collection of Argentinean horror posters to now include: Bride of Frankenstein, The Raven, Son of Frankenstein, Cat People, and Creature from the Black Lagoon.  Happy hunting to everyone, Okie

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2023, 09:22:37 AM »

For me this month, I was very happy to get this stone litho 1939 Son of Frankenstein poster from Argentina for my collection. Here's the HA auction photo.  I'm really happy to be able to increase my collection of Argentinean horror posters to now include: Bride of Frankenstein, The Raven, Son of Frankenstein, Cat People, and Creature from the Black Lagoon.  Happy hunting to everyone, Okie

So that's where that Son of Frankie went! Congrats Okie!! Awesome piece. Do post a pic of it when you have it with you
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline AnthonyFR

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2023, 10:42:02 AM »
Just Fantastic Antoine   :o :o :o

"Detour" is on my wishlist but I find the Half Sheet nicer

And I'm glad I didn't wake up at night to bid on "The Fly" quad when I saw how much the poster went for ;-) and just fantastic to find this poster unrestored !!! I'm super jealous about this
Besides, I lost all the bids I had placed on Saturday (it was night in France)

And I won't say anything about the "Attack of 50ft Woman", this poster is just iconic!!

As you say, I'm not lucky to collect the same kinds of posters  :'( For the next sale, I'm afraid I can't follow the bids (with a stunning large French film noir poster)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2023, 11:41:08 AM »
Thanks Anthony!  The Detour half sheet is pretty cool indeed.  TBH, the composition on both the one-sheet and the half-sheet is a bit crowded, but the movie is so iconic that it doesn't bother me too much.  Besides, the graphic of that black & white border visually echoing a road sign is pretty awesome!

I definitely got a bit carried away on The Fly quad, but it rarely turns up at auction, especially unrestored, so I went all in.  I already own the quad for the sequel Return of the Fly, which has a great image too, so they make a nice pair (both are much better than the US posters by the way).

Okie, that Argentinian SoF is fantastic, I'm glad it joined your collection.  It will be in good company with all your other classic Uni Horror from Argentina.

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2023, 12:54:33 PM »
Love The Fly!

Mark

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2023, 01:34:44 PM »
Lovely posters, Antoine! The Fly quad is really super. I've never seen the film, only the Cronenberg remake. I must make the effort one day.

Okie, I like the composition of that Son of Frank...especially the monster and Ygor popping up in Frankie's head mirror! Very nice.

Heather_Mason_SH3 - I hadn't seen that Fast Times design before...good fun. I share Sean Penn's pleased expression  :)

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2023, 08:32:31 AM »
Mario Bava's "5 dolls for the august moon"

Sergio Martino's "All the colors of the dark"

Local titles were "Confessions of a sex maniac" and "Macabre perversion"...
Fuck poetry!
Matias

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2023, 08:21:29 PM »
Matias: Macabre Perversion!  You're scaring me!  The Shining bathroom scene was one of those moments, too!  We still need to plan the Argentinean movie poster exhibit one of these days. P.S. I was happy the Son of Frankenstein didn't break the bank! I was pleasantly surprised to get the high bid.

Antoine and Tob: Thanks for enjoying Son of Frankenstein with me!

Okie

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2023, 11:23:30 PM »
Matias, an Edwige Fenech fan?  Very nice posters for two very stylish thrillers.  I love that era of late '60s, early '70s Euro-thrillers.  Great music, colors, lighting, and very cool poster art!

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2023, 12:23:06 PM »
Matias: Macabre Perversion!  You're scaring me!  The Shining bathroom scene was one of those moments, too!  We still need to plan the Argentinean movie poster exhibit one of these days. P.S. I was happy the Son of Frankenstein didn't break the bank! I was pleasantly surprised to get the high bid.

Poster exhibitions are always a YES!  ;)
Matias

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2023, 12:24:59 PM »
Matias, an Edwige Fenech fan?  Very nice posters for two very stylish thrillers.  I love that era of late '60s, early '70s Euro-thrillers.  Great music, colors, lighting, and very cool poster art!

Who's not a Fenech fan??
Love that era of italian film too. Trying to catch up with some polizzioteschi at the moment. Got to see Syndicate Sadists (1975) with Tomas Milian as the first Rambo. Amazing!
Matias

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2023, 02:39:38 AM »
Who's not a Fenech fan??
Love that era of italian film too. Trying to catch up with some polizzioteschi at the moment. Got to see Syndicate Sadists (1975) with Tomas Milian as the first Rambo. Amazing!

Hmmm  eyeroll  eyeroll my wife..
Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2023, 07:21:01 AM »
Hmmm  eyeroll  eyeroll my wife..

Makes sense.  ;D
Matias

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2023, 07:25:47 PM »
Lovely stone litho posters are a weakness of mine. At the Propstore auction yesterday and today, I won a couple that I really like.  I admired at another auction house a few years ago the Heaven on Earth one sheet from 1931, and was glad to win it this time.  Also, the 3 sheet for Everything is Thunder from 1936 with the huge image of Constance Bennett with a smoking cigarette had me stunned at its beauty. Constance Bennett and Lew Ayers were really big stars in their day and boy did these posters show it.  Did anyone else win anything at the Propstore auction?  Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2023, 07:50:57 PM »

Lovely pieces, Okie.

Once again, the amount of linenbacked posters severely limited my choices.  Maybe I should be thankful :)  I also already owned more than 200 posters of what was offered, so that was fun to watch.

I really wanted the 2001 hamster wheel poster, I tried but got outbid :(  I've been doing extensive work on my house (for a year in July) and I really can't go that high on posters right now.  So I ended up buying a few smaller pieces.  Best of all this Psycho 6 sheet.  I now own the 1/2 Sheet, the insert, the OS, the 3 sheet, the 6 sheet, the French, the Belgian, the Czech and a few others, ALL in mint folded condition :)  Yes, I'm a completist on titles I love.  Many more to come I hope.

I also bought a 2nd set of Vertigo lobby cards by accident :(  I was on my phone driving (I know, I know, but I had to go somewhere) and the screen moved to the next lot and I thought I had been overbid on the Psycho so I pressed the button. 

And I got the Suspiria 7 sheet (Argento collection), Thunderball and Killer's Kiss lobby sets (Bond and Kubrick collections) and photobustas for High Society (I collect Grace Kelly).  They're all on my website.

T
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 07:52:04 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2023, 09:02:10 PM »
Okie, I love that stone litho for Heaven on Earth, it's absolutely gorgeous!  Congrats to you and to Thierry for your haul at the Propstore auction.

From that same auction, I won a couple of things, the one I'm most excited about is the French double panel for Beauty and the Beast, which I've been wanting for a while.  I'll post a picture once I receive it.  It's such a beautiful poster that I'm thinking of having it framed and hung on my walls.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2023, 09:04:56 PM »
Awesome buy, Antoine!  One of the best posters EVER and I'm actually surprised it didn't sell for more.  I had mine on the wall for a while a few years ago.  It now lives in a tube.

Enjoy!

T

PS: Actually, a lot of stuff didn't sell for much.  It was definitely a buyer's sale.  I don't think it was advertised properly.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 09:06:51 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2023, 10:47:41 PM »
Antoine: I was very tempted by that beautiful Beauty and the Beast you won!  That is amazing that you got it! Hooray! Also, thanks for your nice words on the Heaven on Earth.

T: I also was watching that Psycho 6 sheet you won.  It is very cool and the condition looked amazing. Sounds like you now have the American straight flush of Psycho! I'm impressed how well you did at the auction. Wow, a year is a long time for house projects and budgeting around that.

I would have liked to bid on several more posters, though with so many auctions/sales so close together lately, I just didn't feel like I had the funds.  Also, one day I sure would like to save enough money to build/buy a venue/building to put all the collection on display.   Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2023, 11:17:02 PM »
Wow, a year is a long time for house projects and budgeting around that.

There is no budgeting.  We're twice over our original budget and it's a monster.  You know my neighborhood.  We rented for 8 months and just moved back last month.  They're pouring concrete tomorrow hahaha.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2023, 11:37:39 PM »
There is no budgeting.  We're twice over our original budget and it's a monster.  You know my neighborhood.  We rented for 8 months and just moved back last month.  They're pouring concrete tomorrow hahaha.

T

My, oh, my!  Sending you all some good mojo, T.  Okie