Author Topic: Book on Thai posters  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
Book on Thai posters
« on: September 17, 2023, 08:07:05 PM »
This may be of interest to some APF members (I don’t think anyone has posted about this before.)

https://thedarksidemagazine.com/product/the-amazing-film-posters-of-thailand/

The two authors, I believe are (or were) members here. The book is being published by the company behind The Dark Side horror movie magazine.

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
Re: Book on Thai posters
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2023, 07:19:01 AM »
Thanks for providing a link for this - I've ordered one.

Mark

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2023, 10:28:03 AM »
Please show us some pages when you get it.  I don't see enough here to make the plunge.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 03:10:30 AM »
Hey! guys,

I see some photos popped up online yesterday showing a tease/taste for the first time of "inside" this book, so I thought I would share on here for anyone interested, I don't have the book myself but have attached all the photos I found, enjoy!

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 03:04:27 AM »
Thanks for the picture.

Nice to see they mention the ghost stories movies from HK, Taiwan and China.  There are some creepy ones for sure, weird folklore :)

Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

Offline TheQuadfather

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2023, 05:14:05 AM »
Hello All,
I am Neil Pettigrew, co-author with Philip Jablon, of our new book 'The Amazing Movie Posters of Thailand'.
I have been collecting and writing about Thai posters for 25 years and this book is the result. It's 308 glossy full-colour pages of images of the stunning artwork on Thai posters.
It's all in here: James Bond posters, JAWS, MAD MAX, horror, westerns, science fiction, 'adult' films, etc.
I am based in the UK and I am on Facebook. So you can message me there if you want to know more.  I have copies available for sale and can ship to anywhere in the world.
Apologies to the admins if I am not allowed to promote the sale of a book on this web-site.

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2023, 02:52:37 PM »
I just received my copy a couple of days ago and it really is an impressive book. Congratulations to you, Neil, and Phil. Nicely organised, an amazing array of posters and some nice commentary, especially the introductory sections on your you both got the Thai poster bug. I’d recommend this to anyone who has even a passing interest in movie posters.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2023, 02:00:20 AM »
Okay, I guess you guys sold me.  I was hoping to see more pictures, but I went for it anyway.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2023, 09:40:25 AM »
You won't regret getting the book, Thierry.  I just got my copy, there's a ton of posters reproduced, all organized around various popular genres/themes with good intros.  I especially liked seeing the oldest surviving example of a Thai movie poster (for the 1962 Roger Corman movie Premature Burial).  Well done Neil! 

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2023, 10:32:23 AM »
You won't regret getting the book, Thierry.

...although you will probably spend the rest of your life searching for some of the wonderful posters featured! Its a great book jam-packed with images and just the right amount of info.

Mark

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2023, 09:32:48 AM »
Just thought I'd chime in with the other posts on here in case it's of any help to those who may still be considering this book, I got my copy this morning and if anything the book is better than I expected it would be, just has a nice quality feel to it IMO,

I would say pretty much any poster collector would find at least something to love/enjoy in this book, but if you are especially in to Thai posters (like myself) then it's a must have and I highly doubt you will ever see a better book released on the subject especially in terms of the huge number of posters shown in the book, impressive thumbsup.gif

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2023, 01:26:30 AM »
Just thought I'd chime in with the other posts on here in case it's of any help to those who may still be considering this book, I got my copy this morning and if anything the book is better than I expected it would be, just has a nice quality feel to it IMO,

I would say pretty much any poster collector would find at least something to love/enjoy in this book, but if you are especially in to Thai posters (like myself) then it's a must have and I highly doubt you will ever see a better book released on the subject especially in terms of the huge number of posters shown in the book, impressive thumbsup.gif

Gladly, most posters are published on his Instagram
Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2023, 02:32:39 AM »
Gladly, most posters are published on his Instagram

Yes, very true and of course certainly an option for those not sold on the book :)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2023, 10:24:22 AM »
I haven't received the book yet.  Is it someone's personal collection or just an assortment of pictures found here and there?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2023, 10:51:19 AM »
As I understand it, the photos are taken from personal collections - of the two authors and at least one other collector who is noted in the acknowledgements. There are also nice intro sections from the authors explaining how they got into collecting Thai posters and their travels round the country finding them.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2023, 11:39:03 AM »
I hate seeing collections, books or online stuff, of things I want and cannot get, and from what I know about Thai posters, it’s not even worth trying.  This book will bring me no pleasure.

devil 2

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2023, 02:16:59 PM »
I hate seeing collections, books or online stuff, of things I want and cannot get, and from what I know about Thai posters, it’s not even worth trying.  This book will bring me no pleasure.

devil 2

T

That's funny you saying all that T,

I very nearly did not bother picking this book up myself for that very reason as I knew it would be frustrating at times looking at tons of posters that would be near impossible to ever find, but, in the end I knew long ago that most Thai posters will forever be out of reach so decided to go ahead and grab the book just in case it's printed in small numbers and I regret not buying a copy at a later date.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2023, 02:18:54 PM »
As I understand it, the photos are taken from personal collections - of the two authors and at least one other collector who is noted in the acknowledgements. There are also nice intro sections from the authors explaining how they got into collecting Thai posters and their travels round the country finding them.

I reckon this explains what to expect from the book very nicely, well put thumbsup.gif

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2023, 04:55:17 PM »
That's funny you saying all that T,

And it’s not about the price.  Money is just money.  It’s about the knowledge that no matter how hard I try or how many contacts I have, I will not be able to find those posters.

How is that fun?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2023, 03:32:54 AM »
And it’s not about the price.  Money is just money.  It’s about the knowledge that no matter how hard I try or how many contacts I have, I will not be able to find those posters.

How is that fun?

T

I totally hear you T, and sadly agree,

I would also add that on the very rare occasions I have come across certain Thai posters high on my wish list in the past more often than not even offering genuinely "silly" money has not been enough to get deals over the line,

I don't say this lightly but if I'm honest I have pretty much given up on ever owning certain Thai posters now purely because in my heart of hearts I just know it's not a realistic goal anymore,
I already own a few decent sought after Thai posters and I just need to be happy with that :)   

Offline TheQuadfather

• Beginner
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2023, 07:38:36 AM »
Many thanks to all those of you who have said positive things about 'The Amazing Movie Posters of Thailand', written by myself - Neil Pettigrew - and co-author Philip Jablon.
A couple of people have commented that Thai posters are almost impossible to find, and that when they do turn up they are too expensive.
It's true that certain key posters are extremely rare. However there are plenty of other beautiful Thai posters that are available and affordable. I have doubles of many of the posters in the book, and they are for sale. If you see something in the book that you like, send me a message and I will see if I have a double. Please don't all ask for THE THING, SCARFACE, James Bond and JAWS! They are super rare!
I also have many Thai posters for sale which are NOT in the book. 
I also still have some copies of the book for sale.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 07:44:14 AM by TheQuadfather »

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2023, 11:43:56 PM »
Congratulations, TheQuadfather!  Okie

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2023, 09:16:20 AM »
Many thanks to all those of you who have said positive things about 'The Amazing Movie Posters of Thailand', written by myself - Neil Pettigrew - and co-author Philip Jablon.
A couple of people have commented that Thai posters are almost impossible to find, and that when they do turn up they are too expensive.
It's true that certain key posters are extremely rare. However there are plenty of other beautiful Thai posters that are available and affordable. I have doubles of many of the posters in the book, and they are for sale. If you see something in the book that you like, send me a message and I will see if I have a double. Please don't all ask for THE THING, SCARFACE, James Bond and JAWS! They are super rare!
I also have many Thai posters for sale which are NOT in the book. 
I also still have some copies of the book for sale.

A big thumbs up thumbsup.gif on the book it's certainly a beauty, but as others have mentioned it's filled to the brim with cracking posters that are highly unlikely to ever be found nowadays, so the book is probably best thought of as a way to view posters you are unlikely to ever own (unless of course you own them already),

speaking very recently with a big Thai poster collector who's been collecting in Thailand over 30 years I was told that there are more Thai poster collectors popping up in Thailand itself than ever before and this has made prices go through the roof on anything even slightly rare and also made many Thai posters that were around just a few short years ago near impossible to find :'(

I totally agree with you that you can still find Thai posters with great artwork out there usually for lesser known/rated films, but, finding Thai posters for the big well known UK/US films especially from the 70's/80's and even some 90's era is crazy difficult nowadays.