Author Topic: Godfather Red Face UK  (Read 1128 times)

Offline PosterMani

• Beginner
Godfather Red Face UK
« on: March 01, 2023, 07:12:50 AM »
Hello All
I am trying to research and confirm as to who designed the Red Face image.
Poster design is credited to S. Neil Fujita. He was  the designer who created the puppeteer’s hand, originally designed for the book cover in the 60’s. Paramount decided to use same imagery for the poster. So the first US poster is just same as the novel, picture of the hand only. For the UK and international release Red face was added to make it more striking I guess.
But red face was designed in the UK as far as I know. So I am not 100% sure Fujita would have been involved with the UK design years later.
Perhaps he was the red face designer, or perhaps he is only being credited because of the hand motif.
Would be grateful if anyone can shed any light on this.

Also I am writing this with a certain amount of sadness. After looking for a decent copy for a long time, I found one on emovieposter.
I had then linen backed and "restored" in London, UK place. And it is botched job. Rippling, some bubbles and two tears/ separations.
I will post pictures and details elsewhere, hopefully you guys can suggest remedies.

Thanks again
Mani

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Godfather Red Face UK
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 10:45:59 AM »
That's a good question.  I don't know who drew the face.  What I know is that it was used in other markets than the UK.  I just checked my collection bc I couldn't remember if I had it and I found examples of it in the UK, Germany and Japan in B&W.  I'm pretty sure it's not Fujita though.

And as far as the bad LB job goes, make them reimburse you and do it elsewhere.  Plenty of great people out there.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 01:06:01 PM »
Yes, sad to hear about the botched linen backing. It seems that there are still no decent linen backers in the UK, which is a shame!

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 01:13:23 PM »

I don't have any information on the artist of The Godfather poster.

After looking for a decent copy for a long time, I found one on emovieposter.
I had then linen backed and "restored" in London, UK place. And it is botched job. Rippling, some bubbles and two tears/ separations.
I will post pictures and details elsewhere, hopefully you guys can suggest remedies.

I live in the UK and whilst I have occasionally used a museum paper conservator in the past he refuses to do linen-backing as it is not an archival process. He will only paper-back. Your only real option for linen-backing is to use one of the more reputable ones in the US. I prefer to keep my posters unbacked safe inside mylar pockets.

Offline PosterMani

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 06:29:22 AM »
Hello All
eMovie confirmed they are only crediting the poster to Fujita because of the Hand design. I am contacting some other sources hoping they can shed a light.
On a different note I have posted my linen backing experience in the "Restorations" section. Would appreciate any thoughts or advice.
Thanks
Mani