Author Topic: selwyns cinema quad poster sleeves  (Read 13202 times)

cinemaposter

selwyns cinema quad poster sleeves
« on: December 24, 2010, 07:54:41 AM »
hi to all, anyone purchased some quad sleeves from selwyns in the uk, just wondered do they keep the posters still inside or do they tend to slip around a little, can they be stored upright without the poster moving. also if you purchased the 42 inch by 32 inch is their room to fit inside a 30 x 40 inches cinema poster that has been linen backed. thanks for any replys

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: selwyns cinema quad poster sleeves
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 01:03:14 PM »
Hello There, I have quite a few Poster Sleeves from Selwyns. they don't hold the poster tight, it does slip about a small amount, but not so that there is any damage to the poster. I do store mine upright, the poster sits close to the bottom. They are great for handling posters, but not so good If you have a lot, and want to use them as storage as they take up quite a lot of space. So I only put expensive posters in them usually.

As for Linen backed Quads, they don't fit. You need to order 44"x34" they do make them, but they cost a bit more, as they are cut down from another size.

If you order any, you can save a bit by not getting the gold, or silver corners on, and they do a slightly thinner backing board version which is good enough for home use, as apposed to dealers carrying them back and forth to fairs.

If you need any more info, or pics just let me know.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 01:27:15 PM »
Hi, cinemaposter!

I have just e-mailed you off-forum to confirm that we can supply small quantities of Selwyn sleeves in person at fairs.  We also carry the larger ones to suit linen-backed posters.

However, we only use the top of the range heavy duty ones, with gilt corners, as described by Paul.
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 04:00:53 PM »
I've bought Quad sized Selwyn sleeves from Quadbod in the past and have been extremely happy with both the product and the excellent service from Terry.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 11:11:45 AM »
I have just bought a few more of these from Selwyns. They have been taken over by a different company, but are keeping the same name.

I must say the quality doesn't seem quite as good, but they assure me it's all the same materials, and staff putting them together... Don't get
me wrong they are still a great way to keep your posters stored, and for display, but the quality has dropped ever so...

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 12:49:07 PM »
Hi, Folks!

I can endorse Paul's comments re the sleeves from the new manufacturers.  In particular, the gilt corners seem to have been crimped in place a little carelessly and in many instances stand proud of the edges of the sleeves.  That seemed to be the main negative difference.  In addition, there seem to be more handling marks in evidence on the polyester film.  The previous operators obviously had more experience of the manufacturing processes and were more used to handling the materials.  I have drawn the attention of the new manufacturers to these points and they have agreed to take steps to improve the situation.  The raw materials themselves appear, so far at least, to be the same as before - it's just the manufacturing standards which have slipped a little - hopefully, only temporarily.

Best wishes,

Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 12:56:40 PM »
Quite right Terry, are we agreeing on something.... ;)

As I took them out of the box, one of those corner edgings fell off... as you say they are slightly off on the crimping anyway. The polyester film isn't as tight, and the black edging is not as tight and not as straight as in previous ones I've had.

Maybe I should give them a ring to reiterate what you have told them Terry...

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 01:43:46 PM »
Hi, Paul!

I think it would be extremely useful if you did just that.  Mark Sayers seems genuinely interested in maintaining the standards and he would be a good person to talk to about the problems.

Earlier, you said you thought the same staff were putting them together, but I think that's unlikely as they moved the manufacturing process from Wales to Norfolk!  If they are the same people. I don't think they'll be going home for lunch.

Best wishes,

Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 01:55:56 PM »

Earlier, you said you thought the same staff were putting them together, but I think that's unlikely as they moved the manufacturing process from Wales to Norfolk!  If they are the same people. I don't think they'll be going home for lunch.

It was just the impression I got from him when talking on the phone, he was saying how it was all the same bar the Company. Same name (even though it's a different company they kept the Selwyns name), same goods, products, materials, etc. I didn't even look where they were based now, Mark did say they would be about 2/3 weeks delay, as they were very busy...Maybe they were rushed.