Author Topic: March 2023  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
March 2023
« on: March 02, 2023, 11:09:10 PM »
I've been so busy that I haven't been able to share what I've acquired throughout February! Warning: it is A LOT! So for your sanity and ease of viewing I will separate the purchases by category (favorites, quads, good finds, and least favorites)! There were just too many great finds for me to NOT want to buy all of these despite telling myself to stop buying! faint2.gif
I am VERY happy with some of these purchases though so hopefully you will find some you enjoy seeing as well! thumbsup.gif

To start though, I am sharing this very curious find. This was listed as being an original UK Quad movie poster. Neither the listing nor the description mentioned the size though and nothing seemed off in the picture as the folds were all correct...so I was very surprised when this one arrived...

A UK poster for 1985's "Girls Just Want To Have Fun". I was expecting a full-sized quad....but this instead turned out to be much smaller and measured about 17x25 if my memory serves me correctly...yet there are no signs of this being a reprint or re-release poster...it has signs of being used as well as the proper folds...so any guesses as to what this might be? Is it an original? A fake? Or a re-release poster? I just can't find any concrete info on it...

Well, with that out of the way I'll begin with my favorite purchases for the month!

New York's Finest (1987/8) Russian Poster
This is probably going to be the most unique poster in my collection! It really seems to be one-of-a-kind! I honestly never thought I'd own a Russian poster and stumbled onto this one by complete luck! This is one of my all-time favorite sex comedies! It really seems like Chuck Vincent made many great films throughout the '80s and it's unfortunate that they have been forgotten over the years! This one was so full of laughs and essentially was a remake of Marilyn Monroe's "How To Marry A Millionaire"! Highly recommended if you're a fan of '80s sex comedies of the Marilyn Monroe film! Really happy to have this unique poster from one of my favorite films in my collection. It's definitely seen some love over the years but still displays beautifully for its age and rarity.

Buford's Beach Bunnies (1993) Video Poster
I've been hunting this one down ever since watching the movie a while back! I wasn't sure if I'd ever find it! It's a hilarious '90s sex comedy with the spirit of an '80s sex comedy and stars Tom Hanks' brother, Jim Hanks!

Cutting Class (1989)
This is one of the films that I have a special attachment to because it was one of the earliest slashers I remember watching. I only caught bits and pieces when I was younger because I was still afraid of anything horror-related (being a big chicken!) so I wouldn't see the full thing until many years later. It was very enjoyable with some great songs by Andy Prieboy! I was searching for one of these for a while since they used to be more rare, but recently a few have showed up and I decided to go ahead and get one after all these years!

Night Warning (1981)
Also known as "Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker". This is another I've been hunting down for some time now. I always regretted letting one of these go when I had the opportunity to purchase it but just couldn't afford it at the time....and naturally paid twice as much now. Really loved this film for its importance to LGBTQ+ film history and the amazing acting of Susan Tyrrell! I don't feel like the poster represents the film very well but it's still an interesting (yet misleading) design. This will look great framed next to my "Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker" one sheet!

BMX Bandits (1983) Australian One Sheet
Yet another more uncommon one sheet I've been wanting for a while now! I also own the US one sheet and UK quad for this film. It's an enjoyable film with two great songs that I have fond memories of watching and hunting down the soundtrack! Will look great framed beside the other two!

Lovelines (1984) One Sheet & Video Poster
Here's another fun yet long forgotten '80s comedy! The film had an AMAZING soundtrack that was unfortunately never released. Really love the artwork on the one sheet, definitely lets you know what you're in for. It's also funny that they had to give special mention to Michael Winslow as if to cash in on his popularity! Less of a fan of the video poster's odd design choice - but I do like that it has pictures from the film on top at least. Bought these two at the same time not long after watching the film - which was great since they appear to be uncommon.

The following are all UK quads for various films I've enjoyed. The first four even came direct from the artist's own personal collection (with certificates of authenticity even)! So not only do I get great posters for movies I love they get that awesome added bonus! Plus they are in amazing unfolded condition!

Hollywood Hot Tubs (1984)
Yet another Chuck Vincent film on this list today! This film was just all-out fun. Really love the inclusion of LGBTQ+ characters as well and I can't leave out my favorite part - valley girl Crystal played by Jewel Shepard who would even get her own sequel! I love just how different this artwork is from the US release - yet it still represents the film very well and easily lets you know what to expect! Also came with a bonus advertisement from the film's original release!

Move Over Darling (1963)
My personal favorite Doris Day film! It was my very first and what made me fall in love with her as an actress. I definitively prefer the artwork here to what we got on the US one sheet (which I also own)!

Do Not Disturb (1965)
Yet another fun Doris Day comedy with a great theme song! The artwork of Doris here is absolutely gorgeous!

The First Turn-On (1983)
An early '80s sex comedy by Troma. Fond memories of this one and one of the songs used in the film has stayed with me through the years! it's a shame this was their last sex comedy - I would've loved more form them! Very different form the US release posters with great artwork! I've wanted one of these for a long time now!

My Tutor (1983)
Another fun early '80s sex comedy with some great disco tracks on the soundtrack! I definitively prefer this version to the US poster - which played things more safe!

The following are just posters for films I like but weren't as difficult/exciting to get.
School Spirit (1985) Lebanese Poster
I was honestly a bit disappointed with this one. I love the artwork by Enzo Sciotti but the print quality on this is AWFUL (very blurry). It also doesn't help that the poster itself isn't in the best shape. If I can ever get my hands on a better foreign poster with this same artwork in better quality I may just go ahead and sell this one.

Can't Buy Me Love (1987) Video Poster
Another film that's very special to me. Unfortunately the video poster is exactly the same as the theatrical poster though so it's less exciting as I already own the theatrical version. It just has a different tagline I believe.

Beverly Hills Vamp (1988) Video Poster.
A horror-comedy that's fun to watch for Eddie Deezen's performance! Poster is double-sided and about as tall as a one sheet but half a wide. Never seen the movie on the other side though.

Hiding Out (1987) Video Poster
Starring Jon Cryer! I love the design on this poster so much more than the theatrical version. My fiance seemed to enjoy this film a lot more than I did!

Rad (1986) Video Poster)
This seems to be a more rare poster but I was able to get a decent enough deal on it. I prefer BMX Bandits but this one has its moments as well. It also has a strong soundtrack to compliment it! Personally not a fan of the design. The one sheet at least has the main characters slapped on there but this version does not. Still - its great to finally have this one to eventually pair it with BMX Bandits on a wall!

The Prey (1983) Video Poster
As I love slasher films this one was no exception despite its strange plot! It's definitely not the greatest slasher but it gets the job done! The design for this poster is interesting - but I feel like they could have come up with something much better to represent the film! It was on my list for the longest time so I decided to just go ahead and grab it.

April Fool's Day (1986) One Sheet
I really love the twist this one had and the crazy theme song to go with it! The poster has also become a bit of a joke between my fiance and I due to the design of her hair being a noose. Definitely worth a watch if you want a different approach to a slasher film!

Howard The Duck (1986) One Sheet
It took me FOREVER to finally get around to watching this one after purchasing it a few years back and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I'm surprised it hasn't become more of a beloved classic honestly. Not my favorite poster design but it gets the job done.

The Money Pit (1986) One Sheet
I haven't seen this film in years but I remember liking it. You can't go wrong with a Tom Hanks film!

Here are two 40x60 posters for Spring Break (1983) and Sixteen Candles (1984). They were part of a lot but I really only wanted these two. Sixteen Candles is a classic for good reason (although not my personal favorite Molly Ringwald/John Hughes film). Spring Break is just another fun sex comedy about spring breakers in Fort Lauderdale with a great soundtrack!

The following are films I have not seen but have an interest in eventually checking out and in some cases already own on VHS.
Lauderdale, Love Potion #9, Round Numbers, Straight Talk, The Butcher's Wife, Secret Games, Over Her Dead Body, Age Isn't Everything, Miracle Beat, Wet And Wild Summer, Dream Machine, and Rich Girl. I was given a deal on them so I thought why not...

If you've made it this far, thanks for checking out my posters and reading my thoughts on them! I'm going to try and keep up with my latest purchases more often if I can...depending on how busy I get! I might be purchasing a lot less though in the coming months since I need to prioritize other things in life...but we'll see if any good deals come along or any great finds!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 12:41:29 AM by Heather_Mason_SH3 »

Offline morphine

• Beginner
Re: March 2023
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 11:44:58 PM »
Wow that's a big haul  :D

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 11:56:55 PM »
Wow, Heather Mason, It surprised me to see the very young Helen Hunt on your Girls Just Want to Have Fun.

Antoine: Proud of you for going big on Spider Woman!

Okie
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 12:26:17 AM by okiehawker »

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 07:15:11 AM »
That haul was too good to go in the tail end of the February thread, Heather_Mason_SH3! So I split to make a March topic.

April Fool's Day brought back memories - I remember that pony tail noose cover art really clearly from when I was at school working in my town's video shop, but can't remember the actual film too well.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2023, 12:27:28 PM »
Wow!  Fantastic haul and great stories.  Thanks for spending the time listing those.  And thanks Tob for making them more visible.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline angelflyover

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2023, 08:35:46 AM »
Nice , Heather Mason ,great list.
Just back from the premiere of Suzume ,the new anime movie by Makoto Shinkai ,the two designs given at the premiere are both nice, the movie is nice too ,really worth a look.
Suzume 1 by angel flyover, on Flickr

Suzume 2 by angel flyover, on Flickr

Offline morphine

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 06:31:58 PM »
Today's local pickup:
Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban
Lenticular poster, 26"x17" approximately, originally part of a larger cardboard standee display at theatres.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 06:34:38 PM by morphine »

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 06:03:14 AM »

I’m constantly getting outbid nowadays. Like T mentioned, it’s becoming harder and harder for some collectors… I think these were the first two posters in the last 1-2 years that I managed to pick up…

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2023, 03:42:41 PM »
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the kind words on my acquisitions. It's been a very busy month for me but I have continued to search for more from time to when if the price and poster were right. :)