Author Topic: Hello from Mani  (Read 871 times)

Offline PosterMani

• Beginner
Hello from Mani
« on: March 01, 2023, 07:05:58 AM »
Hello everyone and thank you Tob for registering me.
Have always loved movie posters, and would buy odd one out whenever I came across any which I liked. But never really took care of them.

I remember going to the Academy cinema in Oxford street, London, late 80s when they were closing down and they were selling off old posters, and bought a Strausfeld Mean Streets and Badlands for £5 each !!
For some reason I took better care of those over the years and they are in decent condition. My wife once asked me if she could trim them so they could fit in an Ikea frame. I had no idea of their value but thought, for whatever reason, best not. Few months later saw one for sale at Sothebys.

I have three Bonds, Live And Let Die US 3 sheet, You Only Live Twice, Volcano and Man With The Golden Gun which I really like.
I cant say I really enjoy the Bond movies anymore ( even the old ones, except for Goldfinger) but for me the posters are the greatest part of the franchise.
Another one my favourites, is Raging Bull preview/ teaser  by Kunio Hagio.
All the best
Mani

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: Hello from Mani
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 11:37:33 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Mani!  welcome1

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 12:58:54 PM »
Yes, welcome Mani.

I remember going to the Academy cinema in Oxford street, London, late 80s when they were closing down and they were selling off old posters, and bought a Strausfeld Mean Streets and Badlands for £5 each !!

Lucky you! I remember seeing a box of posters for sale there around a decade earlier for £1 each - I bought The Lacemaker - still have it although its not one of the valuable ones. Some years ago I managed to buy the original Strausfeld proof poster for Mean Streets for a sum considerably more than £5.

Mark

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 12:01:29 AM »
I love collecting stories like yours, Mani! Okie

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 04:18:00 AM »
Welcome aboard and congrats on your inexpensive (and now pricey) pick ups from back in the day. (It's virtually impossibe--not totally, but..-- to find a poster that cheap today.) Hopefully, as your collection grows, you now have more respect for what you have--and what they are worth. Enjoy yourself here. CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!