Author Topic: February 2023  (Read 1692 times)

Offline morphine

• Beginner
February 2023
« on: February 06, 2023, 05:35:13 PM »
Picked these beauties up this afternoon.
Local collector who used to work at a printing facility.
Getting my Indy fix!

« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 05:39:27 PM by morphine »

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
Re: February 2023
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 09:12:40 PM »
Can't go wrong with the original Indy trilogy (before the abomination that was Crystal Skull).

I just got these 2 folded 6-sheets, The Spider Woman Strikes Back (1946), and The Pit & the Pendulum (1961).   I'm particularly happy with the Spider Woman, it's a great image for a rather minor and flawed movie with Gale Sondergaard (chewing the scenery as usual) and poor Rondo Hatton playing her henchman.

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 12:27:59 PM »
morphine: Those films are definitely classics and the posters very desirable! Great finds! You're very lucky to be in contact with another collector, especially one that actually worked at a printing facility!

Antoine1973:
Six sheets are truly an amazing collectible piece due to their massive size and often times unique artwork! I've never seen the two you have there but they would definitely be good at selling me into watching the film at a theater! Do you plan on displaying either one of those? If so, what kind of method will you be using? (I would definitely be interested in hearing about this should I ever buy myself a six-sheet!)

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 07:29:47 PM »
Unfortunately, I won't be displaying these 6-sheets since they're a bit fragile at the folds.  This typically happens with paper that's both of a larger size and fairly old (Spider Woman is almost 80!).  Thus it's not always easy to display such posters (unless they're linenbacked, which I personally try to avoid).  For example the only 6-sheet I ever hung up on my walls was Revenge of the Creature (probably one of my favorite examples of the format).  I'm attaching a couple of old pics since the room it used to be in is now one of my kids', and the decor has changed quite a bit a result.

Offline angelflyover

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 06:13:39 PM »
nice posters Morphine and Antoine
Just showing the IMAX OS I have gotten from Antman 3 preview,quite nice
photo_2023-02-21_07-03-16 by angel flyover, on Flickr

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 09:55:11 PM »
Not exactly "new" acquisition, as these have been in a tube for a long time.  But, as I unfurl the curls from the tubes, seeing these again was like seeing them for the first time. Each are B0-sized, heavy glossy stock.  I don't think these have ever shown up anywhere, ever.  Anyway, I hope you like them. Those of you who know me know I love Kill Bill :)  If you've ever seen them anywhere else, please let me know.  This is what unicorns look like :)

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline angelflyover

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 06:21:43 PM »
Great posters Holiday ,your new site http://www.twoparrotsgallery.com/ is really nice, thanks for sharing your interest and collection.

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 09:03:28 PM »
Not exactly "new" acquisition, as these have been in a tube for a long time.  But, as I unfurl the curls from the tubes, seeing these again was like seeing them for the first time. Each are B0-sized, heavy glossy stock.  I don't think these have ever shown up anywhere, ever.  Anyway, I hope you like them. Those of you who know me know I love Kill Bill :)  If you've ever seen them anywhere else, please let me know.  This is what unicorns look like :)

Stunning posters, especially The Bride!  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2023, 11:09:26 PM »
Holiday, you inspired me to put some time into taking some pictures.  Thank you!
While I did not get these in February 2023, they are ones I picked up over the last year or so.
The Battle Royale, Steve McQueen and Star Wars are all B1. 
The Battle Royale is printed on a metallic glossy paper with embossments.
It came in a special box but unfortunately the box was in quite bad condition so did not keep it.
The posters were given out at the premier of the movie in Japan (perhaps just Tokyo...).
The Bride is about 193cm x 100cm.

Offline morphine

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 04:35:41 PM »
Local acquisitions from today.
Return Of The Jedi half sheets.

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2023, 06:41:21 PM »
Holiday & Hicks77: Kill Bill is definitely a classic! I don't collect posters from Japan myself but those look great! I only own one myself though and I it's a video poster for the second film I believe. I have fond memories of it because it was the poster my local video store had hung up on their door for the longest time! (And of course I also enjoyed the films!)

Morphine: Good find with the Star Wars posters! I've always enjoyed the old films but haven't ever thought of collecting them myself because of how many fakes there are out there and how pricey/competitive it can be to get the original stuff! Nice addition to your collection! :)
They all have great artwork!

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2023, 07:53:42 AM »
thanks Heather_Mason :) I'm a big fan of Tarantion but Kill Bill especially  thumbsup.gif

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2023, 09:09:10 AM »
Wow to those big six sheets (The Spider Woman strikes back in particular) and those 2 x Kill Bill B0s...posters from different eras, but I love them both.

Hicks, good info on that Battle Royale foil, I'd always wondered about the story regarding that poster, thanks for sharing. Love that Kill Bill banner too.

angelflyover, another hard to find international one sheet? that's a nice giveaway! Hope the film was good!

Morphine, excellent half sheets, they make a cool pair. I like that format a lot.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2023, 05:04:48 PM »

The Battle Royale is printed on a metallic glossy paper with embossments.
It came in a special box but unfortunately the box was in quite bad condition so did not keep it.

This is one of the great examples of how Japanese marketing does special things with their posters.   I too had a box for it, but i was not worth saving:

My atempt at a photo that shows the embossing:
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2023, 07:41:31 PM »
Did a little more digging about the Battle Royale, the seller I bought it from had said "he got it at the premiere" which I assumed (dangerous thing to do) meant that he was given the poster at the premiere.   It was a Japanese seller so my translation was probably off.  But I did a bit more digging and found that the poster was sold through the Battle Royale website for the premiere.  Customers placed orders and depending on how many posters were ordered that determined the final price and (of course) how many copies.  I've seen a serial number in the 700s.

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2023, 08:35:45 PM »
Tob and Kovacs, thank you for the comments !  thumbsup.gif

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2023, 01:09:58 AM »
Antoine: I especially like your Spider Woman Strikes Back 6 sheet.  My wife and I are talking about having a venue in a couple of years from now when we retire to display large posters like this among other goodies we have collected.

Best, Okie