Author Topic: January 2023  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
January 2023
« on: January 07, 2023, 05:05:41 PM »
Technically this rare UK quad was a December 2022 pick up, but I only got it in the mail today.  An early Hammer sci-fi title from 1957 (made shortly before the company found massive international success with their then modern take on Frankenstein and Dracula), which I'm happy to add to my never-ending Hammer collection.

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
Re: January 2023
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 04:48:39 PM »

So much going on in that on..... A beautiful piece none-the-less! One of my favorites in my collection and one of the few I have framed is a Hammer, the French Curse of The Werewolf.

Congrats on your find.

Chris

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 09:53:29 PM »
Thanks Chris.  I love the 2 different French posters that the great Guy Gerard Noel designed for Curse of the Werewolf (I own both sizes and the smaller version also happens to be framed on my walls).

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 06:42:01 PM »
Nice purchase! I've never seen the film myself but love the artwork! Is it linen backed?

I'll continue the trend of "purchased in December" since a few of mine were bought back then but took about a month to arrive from other countries.

Although not technically a "poster" these are two sets of untrimmed German lobby cards for the 1982 comedy "Partners". I'm going to leave them this way and frame them as they are. This was such a great film that I loved a lot more than I thought I would and immediately purchased what I could for it. Unfortunately the one sheet was lost by the seller so I'll have to buy another. Eventually I'm going to gather as much as I can for this one so this is a good start!

This one was such an incredible find for me. It's a rare German video poster for the 1984 Australian film "Melvin, Son Of Alvin". It's another I never thought I would find. Everything for this film just seems to be insanely rare for whatever reason. The VHS release for the US (known as "Girl-Toy") took forever to find and I never thought I'd find it. It was also released as "Foreplay" in other countries. I already own the Australian daybill that I have framed as well as the Australian one sheet, which needs a custom frame due to its irregular size. I hate myself for JUST BARELY missing out on a "Foreplay" variant poster for another country that sold just a month before I started searching for posters. Still some work left to do for this one to complete my collection, but maybe someday! This one has become somewhat of a recurring joke between my fiance and I - due to the film itself and it's theme song. We love it.
Oh - and much to my horror - this one came shipped by being wrapped in ANOTHER POSTER! R.I.P. I felt bad tearing it apart when I saw what it was.

No clue what this film is but it was thrown in for free with Melvin. Maybe I'll watch it someday.

Again not exactly a poster but more of a brochure (?) that is double sided and opens up. I originally thought it was some sort of standee when I saw a picture of it and began hunting it down so I was surprised when I saw what it actually was. This is for 1985's "Tomboy" with Betsy Russell. One of my favorites films of all-time. I'll definitely frame it and display it although I'll have to figure out which side I want. Unfortunately I'll need two more to display everything this one offers - maybe someday if they pop up! Still happy to have this in my growing Tomboy collection!

Offline gargoyle67

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 12:02:56 PM »
Got these today although they've been sitting in customs since xmas  :-\

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2023, 02:52:39 PM »

Congratulations on the wins there, HM.  I just watched the trailer for this one and looks like a fun 80's flick.

Nice wins, G67.  Recently I was looking through some of my collection that's been stored away and saw a Watchmen one sheet.  The colors really pop on everything from this movie and can't really be captured in photos.  The Matrix lightning style is awesome.  cool1

Offline gargoyle67

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 04:20:04 AM »
Thanks Neo, Yeah it does pop and not that pricey either. I've got some popy posters up at the moment  bed1

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 01:09:54 PM »
Nice pick ups, gargoyle67 - especially the rolled Ghostbusters, Day of the Dead and the Matrix lightning style!

That Quatermass 2 quad is gorgeous too, Antoine. Such vivid colours.

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2023, 02:13:45 PM »
Nice pick ups, gargoyle67 - especially the rolled Ghostbusters, Day of the Dead and the Matrix lightning style!

That Quatermass 2 quad is gorgeous too, Antoine. Such vivid colours.

What he said!
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline NOTLDCollector68

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2023, 04:21:54 PM »
Nice pick ups! Nothing is better than getting new posters for the collection.

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 10:00:41 PM »
2023 has gone off to a pretty wild start for me despite thinking I would slow down on collecting. I've spent more on posters than I thought I would! Here are my latest purchases that have arrived so far.

First off we have a rolled video store poster for the 1985 film "Creepers", which is also known as "Phenomena" outside of the US. I already own the original one sheet (which I prefer) that has slightly different artwork. This one has a different tagline and I love that it still has the release date on the bottom (it is removable). Definitely a classic horror film I'd highly recommend to anyone as it served as inspiration for one of my favorite video game franchises known as "Clock Tower".

Next is a video store poster for the forgotten sex comedy "Hot Resort". You'd only know it's a video poster from the tiny MGM/UA Home Video logo on the bottom. Other than that it is exactly the same as the one sheet. The artwork pretty much lets you know exactly what type of movie to expect. I love it and it makes a great companion piece for the very similar film also released the same year called "Hot Chili". I'm definitely going to display them together when I have the chance! The film has been left behind in the VHS era and not available in any other format, but if you like sex comedies I'd recommend tracking it down.

Here's a one sheet for the bizarre 1983 film "Surf II". I love the artwork here as well since it does incorporate many of the things seen in the film. Despite being a strange one, it's a good time for the great cast of actors and actresses as well as the punk elements. This seems to be an uncommon poster but I waited until I could get one for a good deal. Was very happy when I finally did get to purchase it! There also seems to be an alternative one sheet out there, but I can't seem to find any copies at the moment. Maybe someday? Anyway, great artwork on this one and definitely a film I'd watch again someday!

This is one that I immediately jumped on when I saw it pop up. A rare Australian video poster for 1985's "Better Off Dead". The US one sheet has iconic artwork but I love that this one tried something different! Unfortunately due to its awkward size it will need a custom frame so it will have to remain stored away for now. Will be very happy to put this one up eventually though beside the other posters for this film!

Here's a third version of the US one sheet for the Linda Blair film "Savage Streets"! I've made my love for this film well known in my previous posts where I've shared my Savage Streets posters so naturally I was VERY happy to see this one! I wasn't willing to pay the asking price of the only other seller so I waited and waited until another popped up...and I got this for a good deal! This just shows how patience is a key part of our hobby! This one came from a California drive-in so it's a bit interesting to know the history of where the poster was used and it definitely shows how well-loved the poster was back in the day! I love how different this one is from the other two US one sheets and video poster while still giving you a good idea of what to expect from the film. Owning this one brings me much closer to completing my "Savage Streets" poster collection and someday I'll be able to share my wall of all the different posters hung up together! :)

Here's another insanely rare poster for another long-forgotten film, 1984's "Gimme An F". This is an Australian video poster. It is as long as a one sheet but half as wide (so not a daybill). I love the taglines they chose, but I feel like they could have chosen better images from the film to represent it (or made it a full one sheet!). Still, I am am extremely happy to own this one as there doesn't seem to be any other posters available for the film and I didn't even know this version existed. I immediately fell in love with the movie after watching it and I am happy to finally own something for it to show my love. The poster does show some wear though, as for some reason the back was taped and the tape has bled through to the front. Still, this just shows it was well loved over the years and still displays beautifully!

Here's one that I somehow forgot about and wasn't even sure if I actually owned it! A quad poster for the classic film "Pretty In Pink". I was able to get a very good deal on this one even though it seems to be a bit more rare. I really love the design they chose for the quad when compared to the US one sheet. This was one of my first '80s movies and has a special place in my heart. I'm going to eventually track down other posters for the film. I currently also have the US one sheet and video poster.

Here's a complete set of lobby cards for the 1960 film "Where The Boys Are". These are the oldest lobby cards I currently own and they are a great compliment for my half-sheet for the film. As I don't normally collect lobby cards this old I'm not sure what the signs are for spotting real vs fake cards, but they appear to be authentic as they have the typical good signs (some yellowing, some wear and tear, pin holes, etc). A small step towards gathering a full set of posters for this film! Was happy to get these for a good price as well!

Now I've saved my most exciting purchases for last!

An original one sheet for the 1954 film "Three Coins In The Fountain"! I've been searching for one of these for many years and was finally able to get my hands on one for an insanely low price! The poster definitely shows its age and has seen A LOT of love over the years but still looks AMAZING! It is now officially the oldest poster I own and it was amazing to see the difference between much older posters from the '50s when compared to posters from the '80s. Owning this makes me want to start collecting more posters from this period as there are a good amount of films from the '50s and '60s I love but haven't actively purchased posters for. I don't know why, but it just feels different owning and handling an older poster from the '50s when compared to the posters I normally collect from the '80s ( a good feeling of course). Again, very happy to finally own a piece of memorabilia and history for a film I fell in love with many years ago.

Possibly my most exciting purchase so far this year, a three-sheet poster for "Gidget Goes Hawaiian"! The poster is HUGE and I was happy to see it was actually in one piece rather than two which will make it much easier to frame later! I only just recently saw this film but immediately feel in love with it and the artwork for the one sheet and three-sheet posters! I'm definitely going to purchase the one sheet for it as well someday. Unfortunately I can't display this one until after I make my big move back to my home state because such a large frame would be impossible to take with me on a long trip. Still, I am looking forward to the day I can properly display this!

So many posters so far with many I haven't even received yet! Some of my quads are delayed due to some errors with the UK postage system but will hopefully arrive early next month! Plus many wins from other auctions that will ship at a later date!
These older posters I've acquired make me want to branch out to more '50s and '60s posters rather than just '80s so we'll see where my collecting takes me!

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 05:31:45 PM »
Nice ones, Heather_Mason_SH3! I hadn't seen that video poster for Phenomena before, cool art indeed.

And yeah, Royal Mail had some issues with hackers, so international post a bit of a mess. I think they've been turning away people wanting to send internationally, so hopefully they won't have a massive backlog when things are back to normal.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 08:35:32 PM »
Nice ones, Heather_Mason_SH3! I hadn't seen that video poster for Phenomena before, cool art indeed.

Yes, very nice.  I collect Argento so now I need to find it too :)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Beginner
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 12:32:01 PM »
Tob: Thank you! It's definitely been quite a wait on the quads but they seem to be making their way towards me now! Hopefully postage from the UK will be back to normal soon, but it seems some sellers just don't want to ship the US at all anymore. It's made me miss out on some very desirable stuff the last moth or two...some of which I may never see again. :(

T: The Creepers posters pop up from time to time on eBay, so you may be able to find one if you keep an eye out! :)
It's definitely great artwork for an equally amazing film!