Author Topic: What would you sell if you had to sell?  (Read 876 times)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
What would you sell if you had to sell?
« on: January 04, 2023, 05:35:26 PM »
Just wondering what you would do if you had to sell part of your collection? You want to stay in the hobby, but some unexpected expenses come up.

Would you sell less posters with larger value?
So you can keep more posters? But risk the chance of having to buy back those posters potentially at a higher value later on?
(And again this is making me think about for example thst Sleepaway camp poster in a recent thread). Would I let the go, and potentially have a hard time find it later on? This is what happened when I got rid of my Halloween 3 quad, and couldn’t find it for years, and ended up paying $$$ to get it back.

Or more of the smaller dollar posters, have less of a collection, but have to find them later on?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 05:37:52 PM by bigmike »

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: What would you sell if you had to sell?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 09:38:22 PM »
If I needed cash quick, I'd look to sell the highest value ones I could bear to part with (quick money).
If I needed cash over time I'd sell the cheaper stuff (get rid of the clutter/stuff I'm not too attached to).
Ultimately I'll head to offloading all my stuff but will try to keep near the end a handful of the the larger stunners that will get displayed, but you know, I'd also keep the a small stack of Mex lobby cards or Belgians as they take up little space and many are from good films or have good art - they might look good in a small flip portfolio.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 04:26:47 PM »
I agree with you. I started to do that. Then I froze and found it harder to do this time than the previous times. I couldn’t do it. I’m not selling them. I understand if I have more than 1 title, then okay. But couldn’t bring myself to sell them. I ended up putting them back.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 08:06:49 PM »
I agree with you. I started to do that. Then I froze and found it harder to do this time than the previous times. I couldn’t do it. I’m not selling them. I understand if I have more than 1 title, then okay. But couldn’t bring myself to sell them. I ended up putting them back.

That seems like a good plan - selling some you have more than one copy of.

I had to get rid of a lot of stuff when I moved into a smaller place and decided to sell the most expensive ones (relatively expensive in my humble collection) and give away a lot of the lesser ones.  One I decided to sell was the Pulp Fiction Lucky Strikes one sheet that I got a good deal on from a random eBayer.  It was one of my favorites but similar to a few others I sold, I figured I could probably find another one someday, and just accepted I'd probably have to pay a lot more for it.  Another reason I chose that one was because I bought one of the known Lucky Strikes bootlegs, of which there are a few authentications detailing the differences to an original.  Although the legit one is much more high quality, has an interesting history, and overall a much nicer piece, the bootleg has an interesting history in other respects.